BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
yves
New Member
Germany
1
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z3, BMW X5
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

M3 press introduction

The Press has been invited to join BMW at the Ascari Race Resort in Spain for testing of the M3.
on the 18th and 19th of July.



most of you will have seen this video but this is the area in which the introduction of the Press will take place and ofcourse they will aslo make some laps around the Ascari Home track.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Good info

Finally something fairly concrete as to when we will hear some driving impressions. Do you have some solid proof/announcement of this event? Can't wait.:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
m_bazeepaymon
Major
19
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Finally something fairly concrete as to when we will hear some driving impressions. Do you have some solid proof/announcement of this event? Can't wait.:rocks:
didnt we hear that driving impressions were to be in June?
or was that bs?
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
ruff's Avatar
37
Rep
1,184
Posts

 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

iTrader: (0)

I heard June as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #5
yves
New Member
Germany
1
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z3, BMW X5
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

the dutch petrolhead.nl website said they received an invitation by BMW for these two days.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves View Post
the dutch petrolhead.nl website said they received an invitation by BMW for these two days.
Thanks, sounds like good evidence to me! It will never come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,239
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
The Press has been invited to join BMW at the Ascari Race Resort in Spain for testing of the M3.
on the 18th and 19th of July.
Hey just as I announced . Please do not attempt to Gatecrash - It is not open to the public - BMW has very effective security.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
m_bazeepaymon
Major
19
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Hey just as I announced . Please do not attempt to Gatecrash - It is not open to the public - BMW has very effective security.

lol
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
esquire
Colonel
esquire's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
2,801
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Hey just as I announced . Please do not attempt to Gatecrash - It is not open to the public - BMW has very effective security.
so scott, how exactly do we sneak in?
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Steved
Lieutenant
Steved's Avatar
United Kingdom
26
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves View Post
The Press has been invited to join BMW at the Ascari Race Resort in Spain for testing of the M3.
on the 18th and 19th of July.

Ok, just to update you guys, the above information is not correct. The press launch will be earlier, which means you will be reading proper first drive reports in around 4 weeks time.

We will be heading off in just a few weeks for the launch and whilst I will not produce a write-up so you will need to read it when published in EVO magazine, but I will be able to let you know if it is a or a and of course answer factual questions.

I will aim to assess if the true M3 DNA remains intact in its migration to V8 power, if the extra weight makes it more of a GT car and whether the hardcore E46 M3 driver is likely to want one. I will of course be drawing a comparison with both the E46 M3 and its main competitor, so watch this space.

Only 4 weeks and you will know the answer...

Last edited by Steved; 06-18-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Ok, just to update you guys, the above information is not correct. The press launch will be earlier, which means you will be reading proper first drive reports in around 4 weeks time.

We will be heading off in just a few weeks for the launch and whilst I will not produce a write-up before it is published in EVO magazine, I will be able to let you know if it is a or a .

I will aim to assess if the true M3 DNA remains intact in its migration to V8 power, if the extra weight makes it more of a GT car and whether the hardcore E46 M3 driver is likely to want one. I will of course be drawing a comparison with both the E46 M3 and its main competitor, so watch this space.

Only 4 weeks and you will know the answer...
Excellent info, thanks.
4 weeks is still mid July, like what was previously mentioned, 18-19 July. Are you saying sooner than that?

Also, any updates on when the last of the three M3 videos will be available?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
Steved
Lieutenant
Steved's Avatar
United Kingdom
26
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Excellent info, thanks.
4 weeks is still mid July, like what was previously mentioned, 18-19 July. Are you saying sooner than that?

We will be back and have written the article long before 18th July. I will be driving the M3 in less than 10 days from now.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
jpan08's Avatar
2
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Ninja 300
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Hartford, CT/ Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

hope some new vids come out of this
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
Steved
Lieutenant
Steved's Avatar
United Kingdom
26
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpan08 View Post
hope some new vids come out of this
I will take my camera...

How sideways would you like it?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

 
Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
We will be back and have written the article long before 18th July. I will be driving the M3 in less than 10 days from now.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!


Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

 
Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
We will be back and have written the article long before 18th July. I will be driving the M3 in less than 10 days from now.

I'm especially interested in the steering feel and steering effort -- perhaps you can compare it to your Z4MC? Have you driven the 997 GT3? Steering PERFECTION.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
Steved
Lieutenant
Steved's Avatar
United Kingdom
26
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
I'm especially interested in the steering feel and steering effort -- perhaps you can compare it to your Z4MC? Have you driven the 997 GT3? Steering PERFECTION.


There are a plenty of aspects I am keen to assess including steering feel, agility, braking, natural feel of the adaptive damping, consistency of the M-diff etc. Basically have BMW gone all soft and made the M3 too much of a GT car, or does it still represent the essence of M-Division.

** If you list down all the aspects you would like to know, then I will take these with me and try and answer you all when I get back **
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

 
Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post


Basically have BMW gone all soft and made the M3 too much of a GT car, or does it still represent the essence of M-Division.
Great! That is exactly my concern. Does the new M3 feel like an AMG Benz now, or does it feel more like a Porsche but with a real back seat? I hope the new car feels very stout in every way!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #19
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
jpan08's Avatar
2
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Ninja 300
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Hartford, CT/ Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

are we going to find out real 0-60 times like car and driver always does?

oo take many pics thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Hmmm - what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post


There are a plenty of aspects I am keen to assess including steering feel, agility, braking, natural feel of the adaptive damping, consistency of the M-diff etc. Basically have BMW gone all soft and made the M3 too much of a GT car, or does it still represent the essence of M-Division.

** If you list down all the aspects you would like to know, then I will take these with me and try and answer you all when I get back **
What ever happened with your "10 day out" test drive? Sounds suspicious to me; too early for the press or the press' good buddy to get ahold of the car. BMW folks have said no one outside BMW drives the car before press launch.

Last edited by swamp2; 06-19-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #21
ILC32
Lieutenant
ILC32's Avatar
18
Rep
580
Posts

 
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
Steved
Lieutenant
Steved's Avatar
United Kingdom
26
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
What ever happened with your "10 day out" test drive? Sounds suspicious to me; too early for the press or the press' good buddy to get ahold of the car. BMW folks have said no one outside BMW drives the car before press launch.
What '10 day out'?

I am sure I have mentioned previously our intention to get the new M3 along to the Ascari circuit in Southern Spain, accompanied by all its main competitors, and that may indeed happen later in the year (prob. September or later), but this is the official press launch that I am packing my toothpaste for.

In my experience the press only get to hear about official launch events with weeks to spare, this is usually to dissuade them from lining up comparison tests (i.e. bringing competitor products to the party).

So, this is the launch event, not some sneak preview and therefore you should be seeing reviews being published in magazines (including EVO) within the next month.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST