BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
LOUD Click on start up

Sorry could not search on iphone but i have an intermittent issue when starting the car i hear a loud CLICK one click not sure what it is maybe someone can chime in...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,327
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Do you have a warranty?
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Yea i do, i brought it in last month and they couldnt replicate the issue and now i hear it again. Thought someone might kniw the issue or had similar issue.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Anyone?
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
iglobalflyer
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan Black/Bamboo
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nashville

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

I have the same issue... The click is louder/longer the longer the car sits. It is intermittent on my car too... I think it is an oil check-valve that occasionally sticks open.

I read something somewhere about VANOS check-valves and a loud bang/clicking a second or two after startup.

My dealer can't duplicate it either...
iglobalflyer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Auto or manual? I sometimes hear a 'click' on my 6MT, which I'd describe more like a weak 'bang', a second after starting the car. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Sometimes is louder than others. But if I release the clutch before that noise, it becomes a loud 'bang', so I always wait a second before releasing the pedal. I have no freaking idea what it is, and nobody knew when I started a thread on the subject, so just considered the nature of the beast. And since many other cars do it as well, I just live with it. But would like to know what the heck it makes that sound . One of these days will ask my daughter to listen where it's coming from. It soulds like under the engine, or tranny area to me, but like with most noises, they can be telegraphing from anywhere in the engine compartment.

Without a more accurate description, or a sound clip, you're going to have all kinds of responses man. Good luck.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Its exactly my issue.... Well hope they find something at the dealer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Auto or manual? I sometimes hear a 'click' on my 6MT, which I'd describe more like a weak 'bang', a second after starting the car. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Sometimes is louder than others. But if I release the clutch before that noise, it becomes a loud 'bang', so I always wait a second before releasing the pedal. I have no freaking idea what it is, and nobody knew when I started a thread on the subject, so just considered the nature of the beast. And since many other cars do it as well, I just live with it. But would like to know what the heck it makes that sound . One of these days will ask my daughter to listen where it's coming from. It soulds like under the engine, or tranny area to me, but like with most noises, they can be telegraphing from anywhere in the engine compartment.

Without a more accurate description, or a sound clip, you're going to have all kinds of responses man. Good luck.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
driverwannabe
Private
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Mine does the same thing. Dealer checked it out 2 yrs ago and said it is normal. No issues with the car except for the well known air control valve that presented itself about a year in. No worries.
driverwannabe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

I think the starter makes a lot of noise when it disengages. Noticed this with my new car. Old one never did it. This one is pretty loud.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
xchosun1x
FNG
 
xchosun1x's Avatar
 
Drives: JZB 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,142
iTrader: (9)

i get it once in a while...
xchosun1x is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
thanks guys makes me feel good but i say it shouldnt do this... anyways ill see what the dealer will say tomorrow.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
toper
Second Lieutenant
 
toper's Avatar
 
Drives: C4S Cab
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

I disregarded it the first time it happened a couple of weeks ago, but I just got my second loud startup "CLICK" today on my 2011 E92 DCT with 8k miles.

OP please keep us posted...I'm also scheduled for a service within the next couple of weeks, and will bring it up with my dealer as well.
toper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by toper View Post
I disregarded it the first time it happened a couple of weeks ago, but I just got my second loud startup "CLICK" today on my 2011 E92 DCT with 8k miles.

OP please keep us posted...I'm also scheduled for a service within the next couple of weeks, and will bring it up with my dealer as well.
OH nice to hear its not just 6MT... ill for sure keep you posted... ill drop off my car tomorrow morning, since i have several issue it might not be done since its a saturday... most likely an update on monday or tuesday... i really hope they will find what the problem is...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
Its exactly my issue.... Well hope they find something at the dealer....
ALL cars do that man, and none have had any breakdowns or anything. Don't waste your time chasing ghosts man .

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I think the starter makes a lot of noise when it disengages.
You know, I never thought it could be that, but since DCTs also seem to have the noise, we can eliminate the tranny, which was my #1 suspect. And that only leaves us with the starter, or VANOS. Since noise seems to come from down below, that may very well be the culprit. I'm not worried about it being a problem, but would like to know for sure what it is. Only reason I don't eliminate the starter is the car automatically engages and disengages it. And the loud bang with the clutch engages points to that too. You may be a winner .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
ASGM3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: India

Posts: 258
iTrader: (0)

I get the click too from my 6MT when i start it up . really interested to find out where it comes from .
__________________
ASGM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
jrAdiRon
Sergeant
 
jrAdiRon's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 271
iTrader: (1)

I hear a loud clicking sound that lasts for about 15 secs when I start my car immediately after washing it. I have Arkym hood and water flows through those vents. I wonder if this has any relevance to OP's issue..

Last edited by jrAdiRon; 09-10-2011 at 09:35 AM.
jrAdiRon is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
I dont think thats the same issue we are talking about it doesnt last longer than 2 seconds...

I drop the car off the dealer today and will find out monday or tuesday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrAdiRon View Post
I hear a loud clicking sound that lasts for about 15 secs when I start my car immediately after washing it. I have Arkym hood and water flows through those vents. I wonder if this has any relevance to OP's issue..
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,431
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Interested in what you find out. I have experienced this too. It was quite loud in the garage at least.
__________________
2013 E92 M3 with ESS VT2-585 SC, StopTech BBK, ESS Full Exhaust, and a bunch of carbon fiber ... - SOLD
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
m3heaven
Captain
 
m3heaven's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 AW M4 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles/New York City

Posts: 796
iTrader: (8)

Pretty sure this is normal as many of us have heard the same noise. I hear it every once in a while as well.
m3heaven is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,327
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
It is the starter disengaging which can usually make a loud metallic sound as the starter gear pops back.

In some cases, it could be also be unburned fuel inside the cylinder and when the car starts the fuel ignites and creates a start up knock. If this is happening, the car will start a bit differently as well, as it will sound like it took less cranks to actually start the engine.

Either way, it's nothing for you to be concerned or worried about. It's going to be very difficult for any dealer to replicate this sound for you unless they are starting the car multiple times a day for many days until they finally encounter it. At that point, they will only believe you on the sound, by no means does it mean they have diagnosed it.

My suggestion is to not worry, as there isn't anything wrong.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
Pretty sure this is normal as many of us have heard the same noise. I hear it every once in a while as well.
Not to mention it happens randomly, and only from dead cold, so not something I'd even bother messing with at this time. But let's hope Sean05's car acts up and they can determine what it is (highly doubtful ). Finally, for what I can remember, it's more prevalent in winter, so he might have to try again in a few months if not resolved.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,286
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Interested in what you find out. I have experienced this too. It was quite loud in the garage at least.
yea it bugs me.. specially in the garage sounds 10x louder. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
Pretty sure this is normal as many of us have heard the same noise. I hear it every once in a while as well.
Yea i was just at a Thai restaurant in Los Angeles (sanamluang) and i saw a White M3 with Akyrm front bumper and large round sticker looks likes an MFEST member, right off he started the car it made the sound... now i dont feel too bad i actually heard it on someone else's car. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
It is the starter disengaging which can usually make a loud metallic sound as the starter gear pops back.

In some cases, it could be also be unburned fuel inside the cylinder and when the car starts the fuel ignites and creates a start up knock. If this is happening, the car will start a bit differently as well, as it will sound like it took less cranks to actually start the engine.

Either way, it's nothing for you to be concerned or worried about. It's going to be very difficult for any dealer to replicate this sound for you unless they are starting the car multiple times a day for many days until they finally encounter it. At that point, they will only believe you on the sound, by no means does it mean they have diagnosed it.

My suggestion is to not worry, as there isn't anything wrong.
Thanks but i really hope they find it. i know its normal since everyone is stating that it is, but to be honest i really just want them to find out the cause. just an FYI i guess.

This is the 3rd time i brought it in with the same problem. so hoping this time they actually diagnosed the issue.

Ill do another thread if it they do find out the cause.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST