BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

PYSPEED

09-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
finfunnels
Registered

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Evolve tune review

First let me explain why I chose Evolve. I live in Beijing China, when it comes to automobile tuning, there isn't really any trustworthy company. Ever since I had Akrapovic Evolution system installed on my 2011MY M3, the power dip in the lower rpm had been really bothering me. It was annoying driving in traffic, and I had to use the paddle all the time. So I started looking for solutions to the problems above. After reading the forum for some time, I came to a conclusion that ECU tuning was the best cure. I started look for tuners here in Beijing and found both their solution and knowlege are lacking. Then I did some indepth research on the forum here and found a few reputable companies such as Evolve, ESS, and Powerchip. At around that time, Evolve was the only one with remote tuning capability with their cable. So natrually I went to them, because it would be such a headache to send my DME unit out of country and back.

Evolve was super helpful and patient with me before I ordered their service. They answered a lot of my noob questions. And spend countless hours fine tune my car. Sal and Paul were extremely the entire time. They won't quit till you're satisfied with the tune. And now they can tune the latest version of the software is even better.

How does the car drive?
The power dip around 2500rpm is gone! Now I can cruise in 5th gear at 2000rpm, and step on the gas, the power will be there. I don't have to downshift like I had to before. It drives smoothier under automatic in D2. Previously with only Akra installed, I could only drive comfortablly in D3+, otherwise I would have to downshift manually very often.

It also made the exhuast sound better. My sense could be off, but I think it sounds better under acceleration, the exhaust note is higher pitched than before. It also eliminated the cold start cycle, which got rid of the violent shaking at start up.

The gas mileage has improved. With the stock car, I was getting 16-17L/100km. With just the Akra installed, I was getting 18-19L/100km. May it was due to the constant need for downshifting. After the Evolve tune, my mileage droped to 15-16L/100km. I didn't change my driving style, I drive the same way to work at same speed everyday. If anything the mileage should go up because of kids are now back in school, and I get stuck in traffic more often recently.

Thank you Evolve, thank you Sal and Paul for your great product and impeccable customer support. I will try to find a stock M3 and one with just Akra installed M3 for a side by side comparison in the near future.
      09-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
flipm3
E46 + E90

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing! Evolve Automotive is definitely reaching all areas of the world! That's great to hear that you are having good results with the tune!

I'm looking forward to tuning our E90 M3 this coming winter as well!
      09-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
pride355
Second Lieutenant

Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe

I did notice some increased fuel consumption after I put Akrapovic Evo exhaust system and I thought it was only me who noticed this. After the tune ( I have Evotech software for Akra.) I noticed the decrease in consumption, too. Full akra w/proper tune give around 40 hp/40 Nm and it is really very noticeable.
      09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Cal@Sonic MS

Drives: bmw

Thank you for sharing your honest review!
Cal@Sonic MS is offline   United_States
      09-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Rshane
M-Flight Member

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Thanks for posting. I also have the Akra exhaust and want to get this tune as soon as I get back from my deployment and your post is getting me excited in anticipation.

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Rshane is offline   United_States
      09-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
KenH
Private First Class

Drives: e92m3 f25x3 e71x6

I am puzzled. There is no power dip at 2500 rpm noticeable on my 2008 nor 2011 M3, nor is there one in the official BMW chart. So is this a by-product of the Akrapovic exhaust?
Similarly I haven't ever experienced violent shaking at start-up on either car - so is that another Akrapovic feature?
If so this probably tells us little about the effects of using this software in a car without an Akrapovic exhaust. And seems to suggest that using their exhaust system without software changes will be problematic.
Or have I misunderstood?
KenH is offline   United_States
      09-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
lve2xlr8
Captain

Drives: '11 e92 M3 MW ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
I am puzzled. There is no power dip at 2500 rpm noticeable on my 2008 nor 2011 M3, nor is there one in the official BMW chart. So is this a by-product of the Akrapovic exhaust?
Similarly I haven't ever experienced violent shaking at start-up on either car - so is that another Akrapovic feature?
If so this probably tells us little about the effects of using this software in a car without an Akrapovic exhaust. And seems to suggest that using their exhaust system without software changes will be problematic.
Or have I misunderstood?
You have misunderstood. There are differed versions of the evolve available based on your mods (exhaust setup). The power dip happens when you change out to higher flow/deleted primary cat setup. The shaking is from the bass of the exhaust system during a cold start cycle.
lve2xlr8 is offline   United_States
      09-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
KenH
Private First Class

Drives: e92m3 f25x3 e71x6

"You have misunderstood. There are differed versions of the evolve available based on your mods (exhaust setup). The power dip happens when you change out to higher flow/deleted primary cat setup. The shaking is from the bass of the exhaust system during a cold start cycle."

So, as I previously wrote, the original post tells us nothing about using Evolve in a car without an Akrapovic exhaust since, as you say, there are different versions based on the exhaust setup. And the software resolves a "violent shaking" problem that is not there on a standard car anyway.
Ah well....
KenH is offline   United_States
      09-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
lve2xlr8
Captain

Drives: '11 e92 M3 MW ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
"You have misunderstood. There are differed versions of the evolve available based on your mods (exhaust setup). The power dip happens when you change out to higher flow/deleted primary cat setup. The shaking is from the bass of the exhaust system during a cold start cycle."

So, as I previously wrote, the original post tells us nothing about using Evolve in a car without an Akrapovic exhaust since, as you say, there are different versions based on the exhaust setup. And the software resolves a "violent shaking" problem that is not there on a standard car anyway.
Ah well....
That's because the post is a review of the stage 2 tune. There are several threads about the different stages/options of the Evolve.

The "violent shaking" is a bit of an exaggeration of the resonance an aftermarket exhaust creates through the cabin during a cold start.
lve2xlr8 is offline   United_States
      09-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Sal@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Slow

Thanks for the review of our Akrapovic Stage 2 tune.

Just so that it's clarified, this particular tune is made specifically for the Akrapovic exhaust which creates a very substantial power drop at lower rpm. Other decat exhausts do not always create this so there is a different tune for those (ie - evolve, tuner, gintani, RPI, Supersprint....).