BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
rolloface
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

iPhone audio to iDrive 6NR question

Hello,

This is probably a simple question to existing owners, but I am clueless, as I don't pick up my car for another few weeks.

I currently use my iPhone to get audio-output from a variety of sources other than iTunes and Pandora. For example Live365 internet radio, and streaming from my home media server, over 3G. In my current car, this audio is simply output from the 30-pin jack, and controlled via iPhone screen.

When I plug my iPhone into the Media cradle, how will I access/listen to non-BMW-supported audio playback?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Hello,

This is probably a simple question to existing owners, but I am clueless, as I don't pick up my car for another few weeks.

I currently use my iPhone to get audio-output from a variety of sources other than iTunes and Pandora. For example Live365 internet radio, and streaming from my home media server, over 3G. In my current car, this audio is simply output from the 30-pin jack, and controlled via iPhone screen.

When I plug my iPhone into the Media cradle, how will I access/listen to non-BMW-supported audio playback?
Which transport into your car are you currently using for that audio, USB or the AUX port?
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Which transport into your car are you currently using for that audio, USB or the AUX port?
In my current car, I use a USB-type interface from the 30pin connection. Nothing from the headphone jack.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
In my current car, I use a USB-type interface from the 30pin connection. Nothing from the headphone jack.
If you are using the OEM iPod cable then the audio goes thru the AUX port in the car. Which means that you will not have any audio for those sources if you use the new iPhone cradle for 6NR (that's only an USB connection).
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

So, I will need to use the Media cradle for phone functions/iTunes/Pandora/6NR apps, and the OEM cable + USB port for any other audio sources I want to hear?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So, I will need to use the Media cradle for phone functions/iTunes/Pandora/6NR apps, and the OEM cable + USB port for any other audio sources I want to hear?
Most probably, yes.

You can test this right now at your home:

- connect your iPhone to your computer via Apple white USB
- play any audio from the iPhone Apps/sources that you want to play in your car
- if you can listen to them in your computer then they could be listened to in the car thru USB.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like USB is the proper connection for what I need to do. It's a shame I'll have to take it out of the Media cradle for some listening sources.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Sounds like USB is the proper connection for what I need to do. It's a shame I'll have to take it out of the Media cradle for some listening sources.
The Media cradle is another USB port. What you need to determine is if your iPhone outputs the audio that you want to hear thru USB.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Media cradle is another USB port. What you need to determine is if your iPhone outputs the audio that you want to hear thru USB.
I understand that I should be able to transmit the audio over Bluetooth, as well?

My friend has a 2011 E90 with Combox/Nav, but no 6NR, for me to test with.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Vise
Captain
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 887
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
I might try be able to test this for you... I have a 2011.75 E90 with 6NR with an iPhone 4 and the media cradle. I've tested the A2DP bluetooth audio streaming from my phone, it works fine but that was only with MP3s on the phone itself.

I suspect it won't work but if I get a chance tonight I'll give it a shot with a streaming web radio app (ie. Slacker Radio or Shoutcast).
__________________
Current: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan Magnetite Black / designo Porcelain/Black Leather
RIP: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White / Fox Red Novillo Leather
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Vise is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
I might try be able to test this for you... I have a 2011.75 E90 with 6NR with an iPhone 4 and the media cradle. I've tested the A2DP bluetooth audio streaming from my phone, it works fine but that was only with MP3s on the phone itself.

I suspect it won't work but if I get a chance tonight I'll give it a shot with a streaming web radio app (ie. Slacker Radio or Shoutcast).
That would be great! Definitely interested in how you'll work Slack Radio/Shoutcast.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
lebreeze
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 m3 , 2014 991
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: windsor

Posts: 595
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
I might try be able to test this for you... I have a 2011.75 E90 with 6NR with an iPhone 4 and the media cradle. I've tested the A2DP bluetooth audio streaming from my phone, it works fine but that was only with MP3s on the phone itself.

I suspect it won't work but if I get a chance tonight I'll give it a shot with a streaming web radio app (ie. Slacker Radio or Shoutcast).

Hi Vise,

I just got my 2011.75 also with 6nr and media cradle. Do I have to get something else for my iphone to fit into the cradle?
__________________
lebreeze is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
Vise
Captain
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 887
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That would be great! Definitely interested in how you'll work Slack Radio/Shoutcast.
Well that was surprising. It totally works!

Was able to playback Slacker and Shoutcast (and presumably any other audio app) over both USB/Media Cradle as well as Bluetooth audio streaming. Connected the phone to the car (media cradle or Bluetooth), started the streaming app, and it plays through the car. Piece of cake!

I think the key is that the app in question has to be recognized as an iPhone audio app, in both cases the 'Play' arrow icon was displayed in the status bar across the top of the phone. Otherwise it is good to go...


Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
I just got my 2011.75 also with 6nr and media cradle. Do I have to get something else for my iphone to fit into the cradle?
Not entirely following you, assuming you have an iPhone 4 just snap it in... to stream audio (ie. Slacker) start the audio app on your phone. To start BMW Apps make sure you have the BMW Connected app installed on your phone and running. Hopefully your dealer sold you the right cradle, I got one when I picked up my car but of course they gave me the USB audio only one instead of the correct media cradle. No issues in swapping it out for the right one (and paying the difference of course).

The only thing I've noticed is that the phone gets damn hot when it is in the cradle, anyone else notice the same thing? My cradle has the fan but doesn't seem to do a damn thing. Mind you the battery on my iPhone 4 is toast so that could have something to do with it.
__________________
Current: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan Magnetite Black / designo Porcelain/Black Leather
RIP: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White / Fox Red Novillo Leather
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Vise is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Well that was surprising. It totally works!

Was able to playback Slacker and Shoutcast (and presumably any other audio app) over both USB/Media Cradle as well as Bluetooth audio streaming. Connected the phone to the car (media cradle or Bluetooth), started the streaming app, and it plays through the car. Piece of cake!

I think the key is that the app in question has to be recognized as an iPhone audio app, in both cases the 'Play' arrow icon was displayed in the status bar across the top of the phone. Otherwise it is good to go...
Good to hear! I was afraid that the iPhone screen would be locked out from input once you plug it into the cradle. What selection do you pick in the iDrive for Shoutcast audio?

Also, how can I confirm I'm getting the Media cradle? I ordered the Convenience package, which comes with iPod/USB adapter, as well as BMW Apps. What do I need to select for the Media cradle?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Vise
Captain
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 887
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Good to hear! I was afraid that the iPhone screen would be locked out from input once you plug it into the cradle. What selection do you pick in the iDrive for Shoutcast audio?

Also, how can I confirm I'm getting the Media cradle? I ordered the Convenience package, which comes with iPod/USB adapter, as well as BMW Apps. What do I need to select for the Media cradle?
You need to choose your streaming audio app on the phone itself, not possible to control via iDrive unfortunately.

As for the media cradle, it is an optional part and not included with the car. I'll confirm the part number when I take a look at the box... I stole the images of the cradle itself from someone else on the forum. It was around $200-250 or so.


__________________
Current: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan Magnetite Black / designo Porcelain/Black Leather
RIP: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White / Fox Red Novillo Leather
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Vise is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
You need to choose your streaming audio app on the phone itself, not possible to control via iDrive unfortunately.
OK, I can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
As for the media cradle, it is an optional part and not included with the car. I'll confirm the part number when I take a look at the box... I stole the images of the cradle itself from someone else on the forum. It was around $200-250 or so.
So you don't ever get the cradle with a new car, no matter the options? It's a dealer accessory that is never listed on the window sticker, for example?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Vise
Captain
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 887
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So you don't ever get the cradle with a new car, no matter the options? It's a dealer accessory that is never listed on the window sticker, for example?
Correct. Be prepared to drop another $200-250 on the cradle if you need it... for me it wasn't a huge issue, I knew it was an option but I wanted to use the USB port in the arm rest for my iPod so it made sense. I guess.
__________________
Current: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan Magnetite Black / designo Porcelain/Black Leather
RIP: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White / Fox Red Novillo Leather
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Vise is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Correct. Be prepared to drop another $200-250 on the cradle if you need it... for me it wasn't a huge issue, I knew it was an option but I wanted to use the USB port in the arm rest for my iPod so it made sense. I guess.
While I'm waiting on a cradle, can I get the exact same functionality of BMW Apps, etc., with my iPhone4 + standard white Apple cable?

In other words, is the cradle just for the convenience factor?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
Vise
Captain
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 887
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
While I'm waiting on a cradle, can I get the exact same functionality of BMW Apps, etc., with my iPhone4 + standard white Apple cable?

In other words, is the cradle just for the convenience factor?
Somewhat... BMW Apps will work via the normal USB cable but the cradle does add the Plug-In capability (ie. iPod out) along with Video output. These may or may not be important to you though. I figured the adapter was part of the package when ordering BMW Apps so I went for it... it is certainly quite easy to snap in/out so appreciate the ease of use.

Now let's just hope the next iPhone uses the same adapter...
__________________
Current: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan Magnetite Black / designo Porcelain/Black Leather
RIP: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White / Fox Red Novillo Leather
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Vise is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #20
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Somewhat... BMW Apps will work via the normal USB cable but the cradle does add the Plug-In capability (ie. iPod out) along with Video output. These may or may not be important to you though. I figured the adapter was part of the package when ordering BMW Apps so I went for it... it is certainly quite easy to snap in/out so appreciate the ease of use.
Can you tell me more about the Plug-In capability? I don't think I need iPod out, necessarily. The cradle definitely looks more convenient than plugging it into the white cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Now let's just hope the next iPhone uses the same adapter...
Early indications seems like it won't Is there enough room in the cradle to support a phone that's about 20% wider than an iPhone 4?
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
Vise
Captain
 
Vise's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 887
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Can you tell me more about the Plug-In capability? I don't think I need iPod out, necessarily. The cradle definitely looks more convenient than plugging it into the white cord.

Early indications seems like it won't Is there enough room in the cradle to support a phone that's about 20% wider than an iPhone 4?
Per the pics below Plug-In provides a full iPod interface on your iDrive screen... its pretty slick although I haven't played around with it too much. To be honest I'm pretty happy the normal iDrive interface with album art... especially since you can split screen the entertainment details with navigation. In my setup I have the nav map in large on the left and then the album art/MP3 info in a smaller window on the right.




And doesn't seem like the adapter will fit anything wider... I guess we'll just have to sell the iPhone 4 adapter on the forum if/when we upgrade.
__________________
Current: 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG Sedan Magnetite Black / designo Porcelain/Black Leather
RIP: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White / Fox Red Novillo Leather
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Vise is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Per the pics below Plug-In provides a full iPod interface on your iDrive screen... its pretty slick although I haven't played around with it too much. To be honest I'm pretty happy the normal iDrive interface with album art... especially since you can split screen the entertainment details with navigation. In my setup I have the nav map in large on the left and then the album art/MP3 info in a smaller window on the right.
Thanks for sharing those pics, I understand now. Does video-out work only in Park?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
And doesn't seem like the adapter will fit anything wider... I guess we'll just have to sell the iPhone 4 adapter on the forum if/when we upgrade.
Damn. Well, I'm not eligible for an iPhone5 upgrade until May 2012, so I will just see how much the white cord bugs me. Didn't the Media cradle just come out a few months ago? It could be 6 months after the new phone comes out that BMW even releases a proper cradle for it.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST