BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #67
stega
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E93
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 666
iTrader: (3)

Question for Shiv. If I have a non stock tune (ESS, Dinan, Active, etc...) Would this work ontop of that or would I have to re-flash to stock?
stega is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #68
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
 
Muffnbluff's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW 335is
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: STL

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

ANy pics or explanation of where you've tapped the meth injection?
Muffnbluff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #69
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,771
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
Question for Shiv. If I have a non stock tune (ESS, Dinan, Active, etc...) Would this work ontop of that or would I have to re-flash to stock?
I was just about to ask the same question! I am rather curious as well.

Would those of us with our tune potentially gain even more than a stock car considering that our ignition timings may have already been adjusted?
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #70
stega
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E93
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 666
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
ANy pics or explanation of where you've tapped the meth injection?
Yes I would also like to see where the injectors are if possible.
stega is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #71
TMR
Colonel
 
TMR's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Torrance

Posts: 2,710
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I was just about to ask the same question! I am rather curious as well.

Would those of us with our tune potentially gain even more than a stock car considering that our ignition timings may have already been adjusted?
Yea, im not sure if it will work or not but the way i look at it, it was $900 wasted down the drain to get my tune. Oh well, Its Shivs fault for not thinking of this earlier.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 : Slek Wide Body, BPM Tuned, Activeauto Coilovers, Savini Wheels, 345/285 of Nitto rubber, Litespeed Racing Titanium Exhaust
www.tmrmzine.com/m3/slek and www.tmrmzine.com/328
SOLD E92 335i Stage 3+ with all the toys www.tmrmzine.com/335/
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
TMR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #72
lve2xlr8
Captain
 
lve2xlr8's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 MW ZCP DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: OC

Posts: 813
iTrader: (7)

Would be cool if it activated with the pedal kickdown switch on DCT cars
__________________
'11 M3
'00 M5 - Sold
'08 335i w/m3 conversion - Sold
lve2xlr8 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #73
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

How about a "GO" button on the shifter.
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #74
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
shiv@vishnu's Avatar
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,611
iTrader: (0)

Just finished some initial dyno testing. I think the results are decent. I'll post the graphs up later tonight when i get home.

Cheers
Shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #75
creaminz
Major General
 
creaminz's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 7,683
iTrader: (33)

Shiv come back to world of N54/N55.
creaminz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #76
TMR
Colonel
 
TMR's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Torrance

Posts: 2,710
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
Shiv come back to world of N54/N55.
Shut your mouth and let Shiv finish the M3 project!
__________________
2011 E92 M3 : Slek Wide Body, BPM Tuned, Activeauto Coilovers, Savini Wheels, 345/285 of Nitto rubber, Litespeed Racing Titanium Exhaust
www.tmrmzine.com/m3/slek and www.tmrmzine.com/328
SOLD E92 335i Stage 3+ with all the toys www.tmrmzine.com/335/
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
TMR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #77
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
shiv@vishnu's Avatar
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,611
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
How about a "GO" button on the shifter.
I think some people are mistaking methanol for nitrous. It is not, by itself a power enhancer. When you activate it, you don't feel it push you into your
seat. Methanol is a fuel that has a very high octane and a very high heat of vaporization. So the actual power gains come from the lower intake temps and the extra ignition advance the engine can safely run with the extra octane and lower IATs. The goal of the tuning is to make it invisible and seamless. Not to have it button activated like Brian Spilner.
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #78
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I think some people are mistaking methanol for nitrous. It is not, by itself a power enhancer. When you activate it, you don't feel it push you into your
seat. Methanol is a fuel that has a very high octane and a very high heat of vaporization. So the actual power gains come from the lower intake temps and the extra ignition advance the engine can safely run with the extra octane and lower IATs. The goal of the tuning is to make it invisible and seamless. Not to have it button activated like Brian Spilner.
I was actually kidding. And while I understand what the purpose of your exercise is, I also really like the idea of a "GO" button, but more Mad Max than Fast and Furious. You cant tell me an M3 with a big blower sticking through the hood wouldnt be F-ing cool. Good luck with your project, seems like with some legit #s it will be well received.
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #79
creaminz
Major General
 
creaminz's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 7,683
iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Shut your mouth and let Shiv finish the M3 project!
Oh chit! You sold ur 335i!!
creaminz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #80
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
shiv@vishnu's Avatar
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,611
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
Question for Shiv. If I have a non stock tune (ESS, Dinan, Active, etc...) Would this work ontop of that or would I have to re-flash to stock?
For all intents and purposes, a non-stock flash is functionally equivalent to the stock tune with the exception of throttle mapping. I'm not convinced that they end up running much/any more ignition advance than the stock tune in pump gas applications. When running meth, I suppose less additive ignition advance will be needed (on meth) if you have a tune. If that is the case, we can simply reduce the amount of additive advance under meth.
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #81
E92_carbonm3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Allentown, pa

Posts: 225
iTrader: (3)

what would be a good estimate for kits hitting the market.. I want one, preorded list? sign me up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
For all intents and purposes, a non-stock flash is functionally equivalent to the stock tune with the exception of throttle mapping. I'm not convinced that they end up running much/any more ignition advance than the stock tune in pump gas applications. When running meth, I suppose less additive ignition advance will be needed (on meth) if you have a tune. If that is the case, we can simply reduce the amount of additive advance under meth.
__________________
E92_carbonm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #82
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
shiv@vishnu's Avatar
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,611
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_carbonm3 View Post
what would be a good estimate for kits hitting the market.. I want one, preorded list? sign me up..
I should have pricing worked out in the next few days. I'll be posting up a bunch more info with regards to the Procede/pwm meth kit functionality soon (mapswitching, shift lights, code reading/clearing, cat delete code fix, adaption resets, in-dash displays, etc.)
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #83
E92_carbonm3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Allentown, pa

Posts: 225
iTrader: (3)

Awesome, great work I have an oe tune right now.. Are u gonna other some sort of package the kit with a tune? As someone else said in previous post wish u guys woulda came out with sooner so I didn't buy the oe tune first, but oh well I guess. Also I'm running a catless setup any idea on power range with this setup with your kit and tune?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I should have pricing worked out in the next few days. I'll be posting up a bunch more info with regards to the Procede/pwm meth kit functionality soon (mapswitching, shift lights, code reading/clearing, cat delete code fix, adaption resets, in-dash displays, etc.)
__________________
E92_carbonm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #84
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
For all intents and purposes, a non-stock flash is functionally equivalent to the stock tune with the exception of throttle mapping. I'm not convinced that they end up running much/any more ignition advance than the stock tune in pump gas applications. When running meth, I suppose less additive ignition advance will be needed (on meth) if you have a tune. If that is the case, we can simply reduce the amount of additive advance under meth.
Well some claim that others force timing. Others claim to add power through vanos tuning...thoughts? ; )

Excited for this solution though. As someone who lives in a place that varies from consistently in the 20Fs to consistently in the 90Fs...I can attest to a very appreciable real world difference in power.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #85
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
 
shiv@vishnu's Avatar
 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 17,611
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Well some claim that others force timing. Others claim to add power through vanos tuning...thoughts? ; )

Excited for this solution though. As someone who lives in a place that varies from consistently in the 20Fs to consistently in the 90Fs...I can attest to a very appreciable real world difference in power.
Soon, I hope to get my hands on a car with an aftermarket flash so I can datalog vanos and ignition timing values. It should be easy to see what they do on the tuning side of things. That would be necessary in order to offer a tune/meth combo to be put on top of it.

Has any end user ever done a controlled a/b test of a dme tune? Today, I saw the stock DME vary as much as 10-15whp depending on testing conditions/procedures. So holding all things constant when doing this would be very important.

shiv
shiv@vishnu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #86
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,771
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Although I'm very confident that select tunes do more than just throttle mapping and even just slight ignition timing advance, I'm quite interested to see the results of a properly tuned car with your meth kit. Although I don't having much knowledge on the intricacies of automotive tuning, I wonder how tuned VANOS timing and fuel delivery will effect the additive nature of proper methanol injection versus an otherwise stock car.

Looking forward to the results!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #87
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Soon, I hope to get my hands on a car with an aftermarket flash so I can datalog vanos and ignition timing values. It should be easy to see what they do on the tuning side of things. That would be necessary in order to offer a tune/meth combo to be put on top of it.

Has any end user ever done a controlled a/b test of a dme tune? Today, I saw the stock DME vary as much as 10-15whp depending on testing conditions/procedures. So holding all things constant when doing this would be very important.
PencilGeek has done something like this. You need to check the Dyno Database (www.bmwdynodatabase.com). He has about 400 M3 dyno's in it. He runs dyno days locally in your area. Lately he has been data logging the ECU during the dyno runs. All of the files are available for download through the Dyno Database. I know I've seen ECU logs for Dinan and Evolve tunes. There may be more.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #88
M3_FTW
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Edition Model
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Africa

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Subscribed, Very keen to get this
M3_FTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST