BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
115
Rep
5,739
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

the 2011
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
eamon
Captain
eamon's Avatar
32
Rep
790
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Keep the IS, it only recently came out...
Just my .02
__________________
black/black/black e92 loaded
Instagram: _eamon_
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #25
blinkme323
Private First Class
5
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philly

iTrader: (1)

Assuming I do go with the '11, the only options I would really want are Satellite, Bluetooth, and the compass mirror. Is it possible to add these after the fact?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
6
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Prince Albert, SK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Assuming I do go with the '11, the only options I would really want are Satellite, Bluetooth, and the compass mirror. Is it possible to add these after the fact?
Compass mirror is easy. You can buy one on youtube for less than 100$ and install it in 1/2hr. I did it myself already and the mirror I got also came with homelink.

Bluetooth can be done as well. How much depends on what the car has already. A retrofit kit is available from BMW that sells for nearly 700$ and can be installed for a few hundred. If your car has some of it in it already it can be less. You can do a search in the Connected Drive area of the forum or on the e90post forum as there is a trhead on it already. I'm not sure about satellite, but somebody somewhere must offer a kit for it. Search for satellite retrofit in the Idrive/connected drive area and I'm sure there's is something there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

2011 w/CF roof!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
W Cole
Captain
14
Rep
786
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newport Coast, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
Compass mirror is easy. You can buy one on youtube for less than 100$ and install it in 1/2hr. I did it myself already and the mirror I got also came with homelink.

Bluetooth can be done as well. How much depends on what the car has already. A retrofit kit is available from BMW that sells for nearly 700$ and can be installed for a few hundred. If your car has some of it in it already it can be less. You can do a search in the Connected Drive area of the forum or on the e90post forum as there is a trhead on it already. I'm not sure about satellite, but somebody somewhere must offer a kit for it. Search for satellite retrofit in the Idrive/connected drive area and I'm sure there's is something there.
I'm assuming you mean eBay? Is there a list somewhere of which mirrors will work with out cars? None of the ones I could find are exact fits for our cars. Found lots for 5 series, x5's, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #29
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Better make sure you can retrofit (easily) those things if you want them, or wait for the right car. Murphy's Law, you compromise and then a month later the exact car you want shows up on the lot.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #30
Frostbite
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
568
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (-1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Better make sure you can retrofit (easily) those things if you want them, or wait for the right car. Murphy's Law, you compromise and then a month later the exact car you want shows up on the lot.
+1! be patient in your search. You're spending a large sum of money on something you'll use daily so mind as well get exactly what you want. I spent 5 months looking for the right M3 and I finally found it 4 days ago. Right colors, packages, miles & most importantly price!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #31
blinkme323
Private First Class
5
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philly

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
+1! be patient in your search. You're spending a large sum of money on something you'll use daily so mind as well get exactly what you want. I spent 5 months looking for the right M3 and I finally found it 4 days ago. Right colors, packages, miles & most importantly price!
Yeah, I really don't NEED any options, but the ones I referenced would be nice. It's funny because the used 2010 has all of the options that I want, but it has the sunroof instead of CF.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #32
z335is
Private First Class
10
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 370z
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newark

iTrader: (0)

Tough decision, I'd probably end up going with the new 2011 though.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #33
blinkme323
Private First Class
5
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philly

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
2011 w/CF roof!
Well it might not be much of a choice for me now. The dealer who has the 2011 is absolutely trying to gouge me on my trade, while the dealer with the '10 is being reasonable. I might have to go with the '10 unless the other dealer comes back with a better offer.

The '10 is identically optioned to my 335iS (even the sunroof), only difference is that the M has 19s and 20k miles.

Last edited by blinkme323; 09-08-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #34
rye m3
Lieutenant
rye m3's Avatar
Switzerland
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Depends what you're doing with the car. Is this a lease? You're talking in terms of monthly payments, so you really can't afford the car!
You need to think in terms of cost of ownership. The cost of a used car is way too high right now, making a new car really the best way to go considering the full warranty and full 4 years' maintenance. The 2011 car is a stripper - selling that car will be downright impossible. Trade in value will be crap. No reason to gouge someone on a trade, unless you have an over inflated idea of what you think your car is worth. The reason they want to deal on the 2011 is that no one will buy it. Check the production date of that car and see how long the dealer has had it. If you're going in for so much money, it is the pick to go for the 2011 and get the Competition Package. A great option and it will add to the resale value of the car because it is different from every other model year. Good luck and hope you score the upgrade.
__________________
E92 M3 MR on Red/Black ZCP Sound
Carbon

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #35
blinkme323
Private First Class
5
Rep
144
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philly

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Depends what you're doing with the car. Is this a lease? You're talking in terms of monthly payments, so you really can't afford the car!
You need to think in terms of cost of ownership. The cost of a used car is way too high right now, making a new car really the best way to go considering the full warranty and full 4 years' maintenance. The 2011 car is a stripper - selling that car will be downright impossible. Trade in value will be crap. No reason to gouge someone on a trade, unless you have an over inflated idea of what you think your car is worth. The reason they want to deal on the 2011 is that no one will buy it. Check the production date of that car and see how long the dealer has had it. If you're going in for so much money, it is the pick to go for the 2011 and get the Competition Package. A great option and it will add to the resale value of the car because it is different from every other model year. Good luck and hope you score the upgrade.
You make some good points... The 2011 would be a lease, while the 2010 would be a finance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #36
dmw16
Captain
18
Rep
931
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Depends what you're doing with the car. Is this a lease? You're talking in terms of monthly payments, so you really can't afford the car!
You need to think in terms of cost of ownership. The cost of a used car is way too high right now, making a new car really the best way to go considering the full warranty and full 4 years' maintenance. The 2011 car is a stripper - selling that car will be downright impossible. Trade in value will be crap. No reason to gouge someone on a trade, unless you have an over inflated idea of what you think your car is worth. The reason they want to deal on the 2011 is that no one will buy it. Check the production date of that car and see how long the dealer has had it. If you're going in for so much money, it is the pick to go for the 2011 and get the Competition Package. A great option and it will add to the resale value of the car because it is different from every other model year. Good luck and hope you score the upgrade.
This is a wise man right here.

I also agree that you sound like you'd be settling on the '11. Have you done a nationwide (or at least region-wide) search for what you want? I see M3's on dealer lots so I know there is inventory out there and finding on with at least bluetooth and SAT radio shouldn't be that hard and if they are new it isn't like you need to worry about anything like you would a used one.

If I found a new car somewhere else that I wanted I'd have no issue working numbers over the phone/email with a reputable dealer (and CA) and getting on a plane to go get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #37
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,643
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
No options FTW. I've got DCT and iPod...I haven't regretted it. I would like memory seats instead of the manual ones but my wife doesn't drive the car a lot anyway.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #38
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
I really like my idrive system.. but I'm scratching my head over whether it was worth the cost or not. No offense to anyone else but electric seats are useless. They are standard in Canada and honestly I wish they were just manual. Bluetooth is nifty and your first few calls are a hoot, but other than that.. not that important. And the premium package? Comon. So.. all in all I'd say jump for the less optioned newer car. Once your drive it, all you will care about is the sound of the engine and the car's performance anyway.

Sunroof FTL btw. More things to break, leak, etc. Plus it reduces headroom. Derp.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #39
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
147
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
Compass mirror is easy. You can buy one on youtube for less than 100$ and install it in 1/2hr. I did it myself already and the mirror I got also came with homelink.

Bluetooth can be done as well. How much depends on what the car has already. A retrofit kit is available from BMW that sells for nearly 700$ and can be installed for a few hundred. If your car has some of it in it already it can be less. You can do a search in the Connected Drive area of the forum or on the e90post forum as there is a trhead on it already. I'm not sure about satellite, but somebody somewhere must offer a kit for it. Search for satellite retrofit in the Idrive/connected drive area and I'm sure there's is something there.
gobrigavitch

Did I read this right you changed the mirror out and now have compass and homelink garage door opener? How did that work out for you?
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #40
M3 Montreal
Colonel
30
Rep
2,188
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'd take the new one with the CF roof.
1 , CF roof all the way!
__________________
2012 E92-M3 Space Grey on Fox Red, DCT

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST