BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
Drew1204
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

HELP! My M3's Interior REEKS!

Guys,

About two weeks ago I had my car transported in an enclosed carrier and shipped from IL to AZ.

The day I got my car back I noticed it smelled kind of weird almost like fish mixed with oil.

I thought it would just go away but it didn't.

I wanted to try waiting it out and just thought maybe something crawled up inside the engine bay or possibly SOMETHING to make my car smell this bad...

Fast Forward another week and my car literally smells like I left a rotting salmon in my car and smells disgusting--its repulsive.

I did not spill anything, never leave foot or leftovers in my car. It doesn't matter if the A/C is running or not. The smell is the worst when I first start it the next day in the morning and I have been using the feature to roll down the windows before I get in to deal with it a bit...

What the hell is this?????

THANKS!
Drew1204 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
PeteM6
Second Lieutenant
 
PeteM6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 203
iTrader: (2)

Try changing your cabin filter.
PeteM6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,574
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
Guys,

About two weeks ago I had my car transported in an enclosed carrier and shipped from IL to AZ.

The day I got my car back I noticed it smelled kind of weird almost like fish mixed with oil.

I thought it would just go away but it didn't.

I wanted to try waiting it out and just thought maybe something crawled up inside the engine bay or possibly SOMETHING to make my car smell this bad...

Fast Forward another week and my car literally smells like I left a rotting salmon in my car and smells disgusting--its repulsive.

I did not spill anything, never leave foot or leftovers in my car. It doesn't matter if the A/C is running or not. The smell is the worst when I first start it the next day in the morning and I have been using the feature to roll down the windows before I get in to deal with it a bit...

What the hell is this?????

THANKS!
Check every little crevice to make sure there isn't some kind of dead rodent or something. You may have to sniff to see where the source is. If it is coming from the carpet, maybe something foul was spilled in your car.

Good luck.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Nelrock
Lieutenant
 
Nelrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like somebody at the shipping company thought it'd be funny to dump a can of tuna juice in your car.
Decaying animals have a pretty distinct smell...I wouldn't classify it as "fishy".
__________________

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
mskmatthews
Registered
 
Drives: 2008 m3 convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: buford, GA

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

i own a restaurant and left 25lbs of shrimp in my car for a week while on vacation. needless to say, it was absolutely disgusting. thought about burning the car (not really!).
i used a gallon of odor ban from sams club, and treated the car, sprayed it completely, every day, with top down in garage until smell disappeared (took two weeks). no longer has the smell of a rotten whore.
mskmatthews is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Blindside_137
Major General
 
Blindside_137's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC // Blacksburg, VA

Posts: 5,411
iTrader: (1)

Look into something called 'auto aq'. My dad has worked with it on several cars and has gotten smoke smells and dog odors right out.
__________________
M3 Edition Grilles|Painted Reflectors|Matte Black Vinyl Window Trim|CF Performance Spoiler|35% Tint|19" Satin Black Avant Garde M359|Lux H8 V3
OEM Aero Lip|M3 Side Skirts|LCI Tails|M-tech Rear|Duke Dynamics CF Performance|Cyba 4.0 Black Chrome
Blindside_137 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
ThunderMoose
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 962
iTrader: (0)

Mythbusters did a segment on this. Probably somebody left a decaying pig in your car.
ThunderMoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
nick3753
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fresno,CA

Posts: 514
iTrader: (0)

You definitely need to check every crevice of the car, both inside and out as mentioned above. More than likely there is some rodent that got in, but couldn't get out. I believe there was a post on here about a year ago with a similar problem where the owner had to remove panels from the front end somewhere to find the dead rat.
nick3753 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
desertfox73
Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

i just threw up a little bit in my mouth. and how does anyone know what a rotten whore smell like?
__________________
2010 Jet Black/Fox Red E93 M3
2008 K1200S (2-wheel)
desertfox73 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
mazing
Private First Class
 
mazing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 Jet Black M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia

Posts: 192
iTrader: (1)

That stinks (no pun intended) I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode with the BBO (Beyond B O). You need to check the entire interior and also change cabin filter. Try febreeze on the rugs and if you can leave the car open let it air a bit. If that doesn't work bring to a detailer. I would also contact the shipping company and give them so hell. They may cover the cost (may not) but its worth a shot to ask since you are going to be out the money to clear the mess up anyhow.
__________________
2011 Jet Black Bamboo Novillo/DCT/Gloss Black Grills/Gloss Black Reflectors/Gloss Black Side Gills w/Light Tinted Lenses/Black Vinyl Window Trim
mazing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

i would guess someone left some food in your car, check under the carpet and under you seat.

One one to figure out if it's coming from the vents or from inside is, if you shut off all the vents does the smell stay or coming comes when the vents are opened?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
What about Omega-3 Fish oil tablets dissolving in you glove compartment, or under tour seat from heat.

I often got a whiff of rotten fish throughout the day, sometimes at work, home etc. I used to think it was my wife, then I thought ah, my coworker. But later realized it was me. The cause? My jacket had a dissolved Fish oil tab and washing it didn't help. It was a faint smell that was hard to locate.
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
What about Omega-3 Fish oil tablets dissolving in you glove compartment, or under tour seat from heat.

I often got a whiff of rotten fish throughout the day, sometimes at work, home etc. I used to think it was my wife, then I thought ah, my coworker. But later realized it was me. The cause? My jacket had a dissolved Fish oil tab and washing it didn't help. It was a faint smell that was hard to locate.
I find rhis thread kind of funny... I tried to contribute some humor lol:
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
 
M3Bahn's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
What about Omega-3 Fish oil tablets dissolving in you glove compartment, or under tour seat from heat.

I often got a whiff of rotten fish throughout the day, sometimes at work, home etc. I used to think it was my wife, then I thought ah, my coworker. But later realized it was me. The cause? My jacket had a dissolved Fish oil tab and washing it didn't help. It was a faint smell that was hard to locate.
Would have been funnier if you didn't figure it out until after the divorce.

__________________
The journey is the reward.
M3Bahn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Lol lol: This thread is killing me lol:
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
templarklimek
templarklimek
 
Drives: 13' X6M, 14' M6 CP, M235 OTW
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston Texas

Posts: 735
iTrader: (0)

I had similar situation, I used one of those big orange scented room deodorizers that had bading soda in it. Sucked up the odors right away. Get a few and leave em in the car overnight. Perhaps also a baking soda box in a little tray, maybe 2. then leave overnight
templarklimek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Just remembered a tip from one the home shows. Charcoal is a great at absorbing odors. Get a container, fill it with charcoal and leave it in your car. Don't use the quick light kind, just plain and simple charcoal.

It was also recorded for placing around home as well etc...

And I am being serious, not some giddy weird mode that some how overcame me.
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
recommended instead of recorded (... typical iPhone typo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Just remembered a tip from one the home shows. Charcoal is a great at absorbing odors. Get a container, fill it with charcoal and leave it in your car. Don't use the quick light kind, just plain and simple charcoal.

It was also recorded for placing around home as well etc...

And I am being serious, not some giddy weird mode that some how overcame me.
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Drew1204
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys,

I found this link:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm

I am going to check every crevice and see what I can find. Most likely I am going to take it to the dealership.
Drew1204 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
ss134
Brigadier General
 
ss134's Avatar
 
Drives: ...a hard bargain...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

Posts: 3,695
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskmatthews View Post
i own a restaurant and left 25lbs of shrimp in my car for a week while on vacation. needless to say, it was absolutely disgusting. thought about burning the car (not really!).
i used a gallon of odor ban from sams club, and treated the car, sprayed it completely, every day, with top down in garage until smell disappeared (took two weeks). no longer has the smell of a rotten whore.
25lbs of shrimp?? - i don't even let my kids eat a bag of crisps in my car.
__________________
2014 AW F80 M3 DCT
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
haze gray
Second Lieutenant
 
haze gray's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe / 2011 X5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia

Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)

Concur, I don't let my kids ride in my car, much less eat food.

Just kidding, they ride, but no food.
haze gray is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #22
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Putting stuff in your car like that won't help get rid of the smell until you find the source.

You need to find the source. It might make you puke, but you need to sniff around until you see where it's coming from. A smell like that doesn't just "happen" out of nowhere. There is something causing it, and until you find it, you're gonna be stuck with it.

Good luck!
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST