BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
aaranzabal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Yeah 2nd gear is a common critique of this car. However, one tip I got that really helped me refine my technique more quickly is to pay attention to the TYPE of jerkiness you experience. If the car dives forward and your body goes forward when you engage the clutch, you either took too long to shift and/or didn't have enough throttle going when you engaged the clutch (common mistake upshifting into 2nd in this car). If your car squats in the back and pushes you into the seat, it means you had too much throttle input. Believe me, I know that reading is no substitute for driving because I did a ton of reading myself, but once you learn to distinguish between the different feedback you're getting from the car, you'll adjust accordingly and eventually it will just become rhythm for you. Good luck!

P.S. I see you're in Houston; if you ever have reason to drive up to Austin I'd be happy to ride along if you'd like.
I appreciate the offer but I'll actually have my car in San Diego for the next year starting on Friday. I only have it in Houston for the summer.

And I tried the different settings on the way home today. I have to say even though Sport Plus is really sensitive, I still prefer it for rev-matching. On the Sport setting, I was smoother on upshifting which I was happy about but surprisingly my downshifts didn't seem as smooth. The feeling you say you have on Normal I felt in Sport. I guess I like high throttle sensitivity so I'll try to practice in this setting so that I don't have to keep adjusting. I'm sure that when I get to California I'll have plenty of fun roads to practice on.

I'm also in the process of finishing to read that thread you mentioned you started on advice for first time 6MT owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Welcome to the M3 family.

Being a guy who's been in a similar boat (Owned a 2003 Z06, 2004 CTS-V and also 2010 335i with a 1M Coupe on the way) I can understand where you are coming from.

The interior in the Z06 and the CTS-V are not even close to being up to par with the BMW, and while now their handling is getting close, you just get the sense that the M3 is just better in every way shape and form.

Happy modding and hope to see you on the board!
Thanks!

My dad actually just bought a 2011 CTS-V wagon (yes, the wagon for some reason) and I've had a chance to drive it a couple of times. I haven't told him yet that I still prefer the BMW.

Last edited by aaranzabal; 08-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranzabal View Post
And I tried the different settings on the way home today. I have to say even though Sport Plus is really sensitive, I still prefer it for rev-matching. On the Sport setting, I was smoother on upshifting which I was happy about but surprisingly my downshifts didn't seem as smooth. The feeling you say you have on Normal I felt in Sport. I guess I like high throttle sensitivity so I'll try to practice in this setting so that I don't have to keep adjusting. I'm sure that when I get to California I'll have plenty of fun roads to practice on.
I had two problems with Sport Plus. One was that it was just too twitchy for me in general use. The other was that it's only available when M Mode is on. My M settings are EDC on Normal (Sport on non-Comp M3s isn't dynamic so Normal works best), DSC on MDM, and Servotronic on Sport. I've found this setup works perfectly for carving up twisties when I want more heft in the steering, better suspension, and more play at the wheels. On the other hand, my non-M settings are EDC on Comfort, Servotronic on Normal, and DSC On, which is perfect for just cruising around town on roads of varying quality when I prefer ease of steering to heft.

You can probably see where this is going. That left me with what to use for Power in each mode. I didn't want to drive in M Mode constantly, and I decided that I didn't want to deal with having to commit two different throttle input patterns to muscle memory for rev-matching, which meant using Sport on both because it's good for rev-matching and is available in both modes. Also, as others have mentioned elsewhere on the forum, the lower Power settings are actually better for track use because they allow finer control of throttle inputs. Some track rats actually use a lower Power setting on the track compared to the road for this reason.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 08-24-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #25
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: LSB E92 M3

Congrats and welcome to the forum. I also had a Camaro once (a Z28). It was my first and only car for 13 years; the M3 is quite a difference.