BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 60,979
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
2011 Formula 1 Shell Belgian Grand Prix

Thought I won't survive after the month long summer break. We're back in action at our most favorite location!!! Spa-Francorchamps!!!

With a check the 2011 calender, there's only 2 more European races left before we heading to the Pacific region for the Singapore, Japan, Korean, and Indian GPs.

Race Date: 28 Aug 2011
Circuit Name: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Number of Laps: 44
Circuit Length: 7.004 km
Race Distance: 308.052 km
Lap Record: 1:45.108 - K. Raikkonen (2004)

Tire Compounds Provided:
Prime:
Medium (White)
Option: Soft (Yellow)
Rain: Intermediate (Light Blue), Wet (Orange)

F1 TIMETABLE (Belgium Local Time)
Fri 26 August 2011
Practice 1
10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30
Sat 27 August 2011
Practice 3
11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying 14:00
Sun 28 August 2011
Race
14:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Pacific Time)
Fri 26 August 2011
Practice 1
01:00 - 02:30
Practice 2 05:00 - 06:30
Sat 27 August 2011
Practice 3
02:00 - 03:00
Qualifying 05:00
Sun 28 August 2011
Race
05:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Eastern Time)
Fri 26 August 2011
Practice 1
04:00 - 05:30
Practice 2 08:00 - 09:30
Sat 27 August 2011
Practice 3
05:00 - 06:00
Qualifying 08:00
Sun 28 August 2011
Race
08:00
Attached Images
 
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Thought I won't survive after the month long summer break. We're back in action at our most favorite location!!! Spa-Francorchamps!!!

With a check the 2011 calender, there's only 2 more European races left before we heading to the Pacific region for the Singapore, Japan, Korean, and Indian GPs.

Race Date: 28 Aug 2011
Circuit Name: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Number of Laps: 44
Circuit Length: 7.004 km
Race Distance: 308.052 km
Lap Record: 1:45.108 - K. Raikkonen (2004)

Tire Compounds Provided:
Prime:
Medium (White)
Option: Soft (Yellow)
Rain: Intermediate (Light Blue), Wet (Orange)

F1 TIMETABLE (Belgium Local Time)
Fri 26 August 2011
Practice 1
10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30
Sat 27 August 2011
Practice 3
11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying 14:00
Sun 28 August 2011
Race
14:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Pacific Time)
Fri 26 August 2011
Practice 1
01:00 - 02:30
Practice 2 05:00 - 06:30
Sat 27 August 2011
Practice 3
02:00 - 03:00
Qualifying 05:00
Sun 28 August 2011
Race
05:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Eastern Time)
Fri 26 August 2011
Practice 1
04:00 - 05:30
Practice 2 08:00 - 09:30
Sat 27 August 2011
Practice 3
05:00 - 06:00
Qualifying 08:00
Sun 28 August 2011
Race
08:00
YES!!

By far my favorite track on the calendar. Can't wait for next weekend
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

Posts: 4,193
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2010 135i  [3.50]
awesome, the break felt like eternity, so glad we are back and at Spa of all places, the best track all year

Eau Rouge + DRS = epicness

GO McLaren!!!!
escobar929 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,006
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
From Setanta Sports (via Bloomberg)

Quote:
Formula 1 bosses could consider banning the DRS system for the Eau Rouge corner at the upcoming Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.

The famous corner on the Spa track is a difficult high speed section of the circuit, which could be a safety risk if combined with the DRS system, which has been used by drivers this season.

DRS increases the speed of the car by reducing downforce by 10% and is used by most drivers on the long straights.

However the technology could be used for the Eau Rouge to boost lap times and this has been highlighted as a risk to racers at the meeting this weekend.

Red Bull driver Mark Webber believes it may be a dangerous place to come off the track if the DRS system is used incorrectly.

The Australian racer said: "Irrespective of how comfortable it is, that's still an amazing sensation, and you need total concentration to make sure the car is positioned correctly - it's three kinks that you need to line up and get right.

"You really don't want to be going off there, even with the increased safety we have these days."
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Nicolas M
BMW ///M Power
 
Drives: Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
From Setanta Sports (via Bloomberg)

Quote:
Formula 1 bosses could consider banning the DRS system for the Eau Rouge corner at the upcoming Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.

The famous corner on the Spa track is a difficult high speed section of the circuit, which could be a safety risk if combined with the DRS system, which has been used by drivers this season.

DRS increases the speed of the car by reducing downforce by 10% and is used by most drivers on the long straights.

However the technology could be used for the Eau Rouge to boost lap times and this has been highlighted as a risk to racers at the meeting this weekend.

Red Bull driver Mark Webber believes it may be a dangerous place to come off the track if the DRS system is used incorrectly.

The Australian racer said: "Irrespective of how comfortable it is, that's still an amazing sensation, and you need total concentration to make sure the car is positioned correctly - it's three kinks that you need to line up and get right.

"You really don't want to be going off there, even with the increased safety we have these days."
The journalists should ask the question to Hamilton, not Webber! The answer will be different, and better for the show!
Nicolas M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,006
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
He's the head of the drivers safety whatever-its-called so you'll obviously get the more conservative approach from him. While I appreciate the excitement that might come from a high speed curvy DRS zone, I don't think it's worth risking injury to any driver.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
escobar929
Brigadier General
 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

Posts: 4,193
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2010 135i  [3.50]
that would suck but I can understand, its already the fastest turn in F1 but man, would that have be sick
escobar929 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
 
3erdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: _
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana

Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

i'm very excited.
having my usual event with race and a curry
__________________
.
3erdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 60,979
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
He's the head of the drivers safety whatever-its-called so you'll obviously get the more conservative approach from him. While I appreciate the excitement that might come from a high speed curvy DRS zone, I don't think it's worth risking injury to any driver.
Screw that, that's why there's run-off areas and gravel traps....its not like there's a huge hole of Sparta.
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

It's about freaking time! This summer break has been killing me!!!
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

There is so much going on this weekend. I know of like 6-7 events I'm going to keep track of.

Still, Spa is #1. Can't wait!
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,805
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Screw that, that's why there's run-off areas and gravel traps....its not like there's a huge hole of Sparta.
Lmao. I'm picturing that right now.
Somebody make a meme!

Damn the break is hard. Road America was this weekend but ALMS just doesn't hold me over well enough at this point in the year!

This is my last F1 race in america for a while. Leaving for London soon, trying to score tickets for Monza! Well see how that goes
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 60,979
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Lmao. I'm picturing that right now.
Somebody make a meme!

Damn the break is hard. Road America was this weekend but ALMS just doesn't hold me over well enough at this point in the year!

This is my last F1 race in america for a while. Leaving for London soon, trying to score tickets for Monza! Well see how that goes
seriously, that kind of "safety" crap piss me off, I know its "never too safe" in motor racing. but you introduced a new "technology" or tools to go faster, but then banned in certain tracks saying its too fast.

Might as well add bumpers all around and put guard rails around the track like go-karts and bumper cars....

Wait till any car missed the braking point and went off to gravel trap, a hole appears and Gerard Butler walks out and kick the car into the hole "THIS IS FORMULA 1"!!!
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
 
gary88's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 7,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
Will be celebrating with some Stella this weekend
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
gary88 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
EINSER M
Major General
 
EINSER M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064° N, 117.5922° W, 300m altitude

Posts: 5,368
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
here we go again
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

EINSER M is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 60,979
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Confirmed, DRS banned at Eau Rouge...at least they can still use it at Kemmel Straight...

Quote:
The FIA has banned the use of the Drag Reduction System (DRS) through the 180-mph Eau Rouge section of the Spa Francorchamps circuit at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

The high-speed section of track is flat-out in a Formula One car, but, according to reports, the FIA is concerned that drivers will be tempted to use the DRS to take it even faster and with less grip. The other concern is that there have been instances of drivers going into a corner unaware that the system is activated and experiencing unbalanced handling as result. The FIA wrote to teams on Monday to confirm the ban.

In free practice and qualifying drivers are allowed to activate their DRS at any point on the circuit to increase top speed at a loss of rear downforce. The device was originally devised to improve overtaking in races - when it is limited to a pre-determined section of circuit - but the use in qualifying has become increasingly critical for a fast lap.

Last year some drivers used the F-duct - now banned in F1 but an aerodynamic device that had a similar affect to the DRS - through Eau Rouge and had one hand off the wheel to activate it. However, as in the tunnel at Monaco earlier this year, the FIA has taken the decision to ban the use of the DRS through Eau Rouge in order to avoid potential accidents.

Lotus driver Heikki Kovalainen believes Eau Rouge is still a thrilling corner, even with maximum downforce.

"Eau Rouge is, of course, the corner everyone talks about and while it is still flat-out it's actually not that hard for us now, but it's still a big thrill," he said. "Any corner you take at 300km is pretty quick so you hang on the wheel pretty hard so that you don't get any snap out of the corner, build up a good speed down then you feel all that compression as the car bottoms out through the corner and then you're up the hill. It's still very exciting!"

In Sunday's race the DRS activation zone will run from the exit of Radillon (the corner after Eau Rouge) along the high-speed Kemmel straight to the Les Combes chicane.
http://en.espnf1.com/belgium/motorsp...ory/56965.html
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Not sure if DRS is necessary on the kemmel straight. I hope it doesn't turn into Turkey, where the cars just blast past each other without a real fight.

I think they should have used it on the pit straight, where there is not much passing. Also, using it on the pit straight would allow them to close up in the hairpin, and make it easier to follow through eau rouge.

I guess we will see...
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 60,979
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Not sure if DRS is necessary on the kemmel straight. I hope it doesn't turn into Turkey, where the cars just blast past each other without a real fight.

I think they should have used it on the pit straight, where there is not much passing. Also, using it on the pit straight would allow them to close up in the hairpin, and make it easier to follow through eau rouge.

I guess we will see...
Here's the problem, in the past, when the car behind gets close enough on Eau Rouge, it will have good enough tow on Kemmel Straight to overtake. DRS is not needed.

But we still do not know where actual DRS activation starts, could be half way down the Kemmel Straight.

Or maybe there should be a second DRS zone at Blanchimount leading to the hard braking Bus Stop Chicane.
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Here's the problem, in the past, when the car behind gets close enough on Eau Rouge, it will have good enough tow on Kemmel Straight to overtake. DRS is not needed.

But we still do not know where actual DRS activation starts, could be half way down the Kemmel Straight.

Or maybe there should be a second DRS zone at Blanchimount leading to the hard braking Bus Stop Chicane.
That's usually already a good passing zone, too...because of how long the back straight is and the hard braking at the bus stop. And there is also the 'safety' concern about using DRS through a 300 kph corner, once again .

Spa is one of the few courses that doesn't really need DRS, lol. I already think it will be a crazy race with the pirellis and KERS. But if they have to stick DRS in, I would have done it on the pit straight
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 60,979
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
.
Attached Images
    
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
 
gary88's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 7,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
JB is a lucky guy
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
gary88 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
raisemyrent
Captain
 
Drives: BSM Coral Red 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 887
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
That's usually already a good passing zone, too...because of how long the back straight is and the hard braking at the bus stop. And there is also the 'safety' concern about using DRS through a 300 kph corner, once again .

Spa is one of the few courses that doesn't really need DRS, lol. I already think it will be a crazy race with the pirellis and KERS. But if they have to stick DRS in, I would have done it on the pit straight
agree almost 100%, should've been the pit straight, spa does not need help for towing behind the other guy...

guys, let's not get carried away, that was an attempt at making news on a slow day... the eau rouge complex is NOT a straight, so DRS was NEVER going to be implemented there (for the race). all they are doing is making sure nobody tries it in qualy/practice and risks themselves for a tenth. it's already super fast and flat out... deploying it there would change the top speed A BIT, and destabilise the car... is it really worth it? I mean, they used to be technically faster with the V10s and now we have V8s... so what's the issue?
the race show remains the same, and no amount of reductio ad absurdum can change that.
__________________
135i - "Dietrich"
Black Sapphire, Coral Red
Aluminium Glacier Silver Trim
M Sport Package
Premium Package, Premium Sound, Comfort Access
raisemyrent is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST