BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

GetBMWParts

08-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
1MORELAP
Captain

Drives: '13 Audi S4

Great time at Pacific Raceways this Wednesday.

Don had about 30 cars there, so 15 per run group. Went through two full tanks of fuel, so you know that means lots of track time.

Here are two laps from later in the day:

Interesting observations:

Had the M3 at this track for the first time, tough I know the track. This was my second time tracking the M3. Previously I tracked an Audi S4, Cayman, and Cayman S. I learned to respect the throttle pedal in the Cayman S. Audi with Quattro and Cayman with 2.7l engine and open diff did not require that skill.

1. M3 is faster, probably not a faster car, but easier for me to drive, so with me driving - faster
2. Plenty of camber with pins removed on a ZCP car
3. Inclusive of traffic, my lap times ranged from best of 1:47 and worst of 1:57, with a bulk between 1:47 and 1:52. That includes the first session when I was learning the car at this track.
4. MDM on or off did not affect my lap times. MDM on made me feel more comfortable, yet the car behaved better with it off. I started with it ON, then turned it OFF, then for the last session I forced myself to turn it back ON. I will probably run with it ON during the first and last sessions as well in the wet.
5. I brake about a car length earlier than you could, which helps the brakes immensely. Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo did very well. I will put XP10s in the rear to compare the change in balance.
6. I need to measure my camber, as all I did is remove the pins. But the insides of the tires were hotter. So, I need to go a bit faster or I have too much toe or camber. Based on what I have seen here, I probably do not have too much camber, so either too much toe or... I need to push it more.
7. I also thought I broke something when the car lost power after corner exit. I stuck it in 6th instead of 4th (from 3rd), I guess better than going the other way.

I know coupe of you are heading there next week, would love to compare times and notes. I am still on that wait list.

1MORELAP is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
FrenchBoy
Major

Drives: '09 E90 M3

Nice video buddy. You have nice lines through the course. I like the edits and your comments.

I am sure you will find the M3 very fast and very easy/forgiving to drive over time. The car keeps impressing me. Seems like the weight somehow vanishes on track.

I've had to learn how to master heel/toe with the M3. The speed and deceleration capabilities of the car make hard braking/downshifting dicey without heel/toe as the car chirps and looses its balance.

With R-Compound tires, I think my best runs at Pacific Raceways are about 1:39 with consistent runs between 1:40 and 1:42.

Hope you get off the waitlist for next week!

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
FrenchBoy is offline   France
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
1MORELAP
Captain

Drives: '13 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Nice video buddy. You have nice lines through the course. I like the edits and your comments.

I am sure you will find the M3 very fast and very easy/forgiving to drive over time. The car keeps impressing me. Seems like the weight somehow vanishes on track.

I've had to learn how to master heel/toe with the M3. The speed and deceleration capabilities of the car make hard braking/downshifting dicey without heel/toe as the car chirps and looses its balance.

With R-Compound tires, I think my best runs at Pacific Raceways are about 1:39 with consistent runs between 1:40 and 1:42.

Hope you get off the waitlist for next week!
Even if I do not, I will leave work after lunch and head out anyway. Will watch you guys run and will check out the PGP carts at 4:00 PM. Maybe beers afterwards - if you have time.

1MORELAP is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

very nice im finally getting in another day after over a year layoff in september.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
dawgdog
Colonel

Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS

Nice driving! I went with Proformance once this year and in 1/2 day went through 1 1/2 tanks of gas. Lots of seat time. I'll be there this Wed with Turn 2 for a lapping day.