BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
JeremyR
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Daily Driver - 19s vs. 18s

Does anyone have any experience driving our cars with both 19s and 18s and can comment on the differences in comfort, pothole danger, etc? I live in NYC and after dealing with the low profile 18s on a 135i, I decided to go with the 18s on the M3. I do like them from a performance standpoint - comfortable and a little more tire protecting me from the disastrous streets. Now, and I am getting a little bored of them and am thinking of leaving my winters on the 18s and getting a set of 19s for the summer. Any input is appreciated.
__________________
2011 Jet Black E90 M3
JeremyR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Richbot
Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (2)

I have a set of both the OEM 18's and OEM 220M 19's have taken some really bad hits and haven't had a problem, they seem to be very strong wheels. Still I would pick 18's over the 19's to drive every day in a heartbeat.
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 09' R8 -- 11' M3 (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 2,119
iTrader: (8)

The 19's, as you probably know, are forged and lighter.... Unfortunately, this does not mean more comfortable.

Will they stand up to NYC potholes (yes)
Will they be as comfortable as 18's (no)
Will you be more satisfied with 19's (personal preference).

To me, I am interested in durability --- my ride comfort is great with the 19's, and I know I'm driving on some very strong wheels. I'd go for it, you don't have much to lose!
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
John Tanglewood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
driverwannabe
Private
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

I had both. The 19's are fine durability wise. Ride is firmer which i like. My opinion is they look better, but to each his own on that front. Im glad i got the 19's.
driverwannabe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
JeremyR
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

When I was ordering mine, I liked the gunmetal 18s. Of course it was one of the first 2011s, and once they started rolling off of the boats we found out that they weren't gunmetal anymore. I definitely like the 19s better than my silver 18s, just worried about running through tires, especially since I have killed 2 on the 18s in a year.

I guess that leads to another question - I have the BMW tire/wheel insurance. If I get a set of OEM 19s, am I still covered?
__________________
2011 Jet Black E90 M3
JeremyR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,850
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
I own the OEM 18s, the OEM forged 19s and some APEX 18x10 ARC-8 wheels with a square setup 275/30-18".

Ride differences are minimal and nothing to worry about IMHO. Make your choice based on performance and/or cosmetics and don't worry.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

For DD I prefer 18's. Less jarring
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
I had the oem 18s, car drove perfectly, and comfortable
Switched to 19s, looks much nicer, lost driving feel
Going back to 18s


With the 18s I felt like could place the car exactly where I wanted to
I don't have that with the 19s
So it boils down to driving feel or looks
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

I like how comfortable 18's feel, however with 19's I do better on track with less tire squirm. At road atlanta I'm 4 seconds faster on 19's (275/295)
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,101
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I like how comfortable 18's feel, however with 19's I do better on track with less tire squirm. At road atlanta I'm 4 seconds faster on 19's (275/295)
This may be a true anecdote, but this comparison of 18s vs 19s in performance is not substantiated with strong data; different tire size and different tire ?? (Michelin Super Sport vs. PS2)
and probably different day (weather)
and if you tracked on 19s after 18s, you probably had more experience on the course
now if you did it back to back then it would be a different story.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
This may be a true anecdote, but this comparison of 18s vs 19s in performance is not substantiated with strong data; different tire size and different tire ?? (Michelin Super Sport vs. PS2)
and probably different day (weather)
and if you tracked on 19s after 18s, you probably had more experience on the course
now if you did it back to back then it would be a different story.
ok more data

on 18's (apec arc-8) I had 275/35/18 and 285/35/18 PSS
on 19's (stock zcp) I had 275/30/19 and 295/30/19 PSS

I ran them back to back on the same day at road atlanta
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Does anyone have any experience driving our cars with both 19s and 18s and can comment on the differences in comfort, pothole danger, etc? I live in NYC and after dealing with the low profile 18s on a 135i, I decided to go with the 18s on the M3. I do like them from a performance standpoint - comfortable and a little more tire protecting me from the disastrous streets. Now, and I am getting a little bored of them and am thinking of leaving my winters on the 18s and getting a set of 19s for the summer. Any input is appreciated.
i had 18s my my 335 (runflats) and i was afraid to go with 19s on my M3 becasue the 18s were terrible over bumps in the road. well i went with 19s becasue i liked the rims and the ride is perfect. blows away the lousy 18 runflats on the 335.. go with the 19s
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Richbot
Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
ok more data

on 18's (apec arc-8) I had 275/35/18 and 285/35/18 PSS
on 19's (stock zcp) I had 275/30/19 and 295/30/19 PSS

I ran them back to back on the same day at road atlanta
4 seconds on a 1:35-ish lap is a ton of time. That's the kind of difference you'd get from going to Hoosiers from a street tire. I'm thinking there's something else going on here.
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
4 seconds on a 1:35-ish lap is a ton of time. That's the kind of difference you'd get from going to Hoosiers from a street tire. I'm thinking there's something else going on here.
Stock brakes. I never said I was going 1:35ish. I was in the high 40's
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Richbot
Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
Stock brakes. I never said I was going 1:35ish. I was in the high 40's
Well that explains a few things
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Well that explains a few things
It's completely stock except for wheels and tires
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,782
iTrader: (291)

i have 220s on now, i had 219s before

219s feel more planted and handle better than the 19s, and much more comfortable

but then again the tires were different so i can't do a direct comparison...
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
i have 220s on now, i had 219s before

219s feel more planted and handle better than the 19s, and much more comfortable

but then again the tires were different so i can't do a direct comparison...
in my case, in both cases, i was using PS2s
the 19's get thrown around a lot by hard bumps
the 18s recover much quicker from a deflection than the 19s
and i could place the car much better

we have a road near our house, very curvy and twisty
and i usually drive fast on it
and i can't place the car with the 19s like i used to in the 18s
with the 18s i felt like i was in control
with the 19s my steering input is more of a suggestion, than an order
and yes i did alignment after installing the 19's and they were road force balanced, same as my 18s
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,101
iTrader: (7)

As Richbot said, 4 seconds is not a reasonable difference between two diameters of the same street tire on a sub-2min lap unless there are other large factors involved, i.e. driver consistency, traffic, weather, etc.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
As Richbot said, 4 seconds is not a reasonable difference between two diameters of the same street tire on a sub-2min lap unless there are other large factors involved, i.e. driver consistency, traffic, weather, etc.
I can tell you that the difference is in steering response in the corners. 19's although they felt more rough gave me the ability to give sharper input. The 18's had more "squishiness" to me.

Keep in mind I didn't just go from 18's to 19's but the sidewall ratio went from 35 to 30 therefore there's even less sidewall to flex and shift.

One factor that I recall - I ran 18's in the afternoon and I remember need to bleed out some air due to the psi going over 40.
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #21
EliseRR
Private First Class
 
Drives: 11 MB E350, 01 Ferrari 360 F1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose

Posts: 162
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I had the oem 18s, car drove perfectly, and comfortable
Switched to 19s, looks much nicer, lost driving feel
Going back to 18s


With the 18s I felt like could place the car exactly where I wanted to
I don't have that with the 19s
So it boils down to driving feel or looks
Maybe it's the tires not rim size
EliseRR is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,850
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseRR View Post
Maybe it's the tires not rim size
Yes, usually is tires.
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST