BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #45
drvai
Major
 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I'm trading in my 2010 E90 DCT in 6 weeks time for a 2011 E90 DCT -this will be one of the last E90's to be produced as i believe production ends in October - so in effect i am swapping exactly like for like. If my 2011 feels any different i will post up!
Why would you get the same car? You are loosing a lot of money
drvai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #46
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
If you think C&D is objective then it's not merely about how it feels - whether you feel it's faster or it's the same - the facts show it's faster 0-60. By nearly half a second.
I wouldn't take that one test to mean all 2011s are faster. That one car could have had a stronger engine coupled with other variables like temp and traction which can all contribute to that .4 sec.

Oh and another car being faster shouldn't take away from someone's enjoyment. I mean M3 is quick, but it's certainly not the fastest car.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #47
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
 
FASTTOYS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7-Z51/14 BMW X1
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA TEXAS

Posts: 229
iTrader: (1)

The 2011 engine note has a more aggressive sound not sure why. I also get better fuel economy in the 2011. With-Out using engine stop/start mine averages 19.2+ combined The 2011 mirrors creak all the time, my door sounds like a cheap YUGO. Waiting for the mirror covers to fall off.

2011 DCT/EDC/ZCP/PREM
__________________
'07 Z4 M Coupe, all options, Black Sapphire,black leather, painted tinted reflectors & 3rd brake light, tint, AFTER MARKET: S-S moded exhaust Forgestar Wheels F 19x 8.5 & 19x10 on Invo tires more to come

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 08-15-2011 at 10:06 PM.
FASTTOYS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #48
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,295
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
I recently traded from 2008 to 2011 ZCP... Overall, the car is way more refined. This is expected with any first year production car compared to a few years down the line. My steering does feel better, engine somehow feels a little nicer, the car does in fact "feel" faster but that's because every aspect of it has now been refined as much as possible within the last 4 years of production.
I agree with the car feeling more refined. It's tighter. It could just be the 2008 had 3 years of use on it. The steering is also a little tighter too, but I now have the adjustable steering, where I had the standard steering before.

The engine is a LOT LOUDER at start up compared to my- I prefer the old engine's start up, otherwise it seems about the same through my exhaust. The DCT seems to be REALLY reluctant to downshift in D3- obviously trying to get better mileage in the default setting.

What's really strange is, the coilovers on the 2008 car had issues where they were only able to give me -2 camber on the passenger side front (I wanted -1.75), so no big deal. But on the new car, they said it lined up just fine.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #49
ChrisK
Brigadier General
 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,855
iTrader: (4)

The DCT software update released around last summer (cant remember the exact date) was a game changer. Everyone I know that got it thought their cars felt quicker. ZCP had nothing to do with it, since the update was for all DCT cars.
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #50
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

Thinking the car feels faster is one thing, but more refined as well? I'd think a car that was more refined wouldn't feel as fast.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #51
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,862
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Thinking the car feels faster is one thing, but more refined as well? I'd think a car that was more refined wouldn't feel as fast.
I think this perception is due to going from a 3 year old car (with creaks, rattles, a little looser in most respects, worn suspension, etc) to a brand new one that is tight as a drum.
__________________
2015 Austin Yellow M4 | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #52
ss134
Brigadier General
 
ss134's Avatar
 
Drives: ...a hard bargain...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

Posts: 3,649
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Why would you get the same car? You are loosing a lot of money
I am lucky enough to be able to change my cars every year without losing much money - won't bore you with the details but the cost to change the cars for me is very low. The reason i am getting another E90 M3 is that when the time came to order a new car there was no other car that suited my needs better than the M3 - its perfect for me at this point in my life.
__________________
2014 AW F80 M3 DCT
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #53
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,550
iTrader: (1)

That is due to the engine turning off and starting back up due to automatic engine stop and go feature. As the 2008 model's did not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
The 2011 engine note has a more aggressive sound not sure why. I also get better fuel economy in the 2011. Mine averages 19.2+ combined The 2011 mirrors creak all the time, sound like a cheap YUGO.

2011 DCT/EDC/ZCP/PREM
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #54
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,550
iTrader: (1)

Unless it is less then $500 dollars. It would make no sense to change for the exact same identical car just a newer year.

But in your case it might make some sense as they are about to introduce some special version of E90 M3's. Also, I think you can also get the competition pkg on 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I am lucky enough to be able to change my cars every year without losing much money - won't bore you with the details but the cost to change the cars for me is very low.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #55
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 585
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
It is placebo effect which can be pretty convincing as multiple randomized drug trials have shown.

I have driven the '11 ZCP. It does not feel any faster and engine responsiveness is identical. I will say that it does seem somewhat tighter around corners than older models but this is not a hugely significant difference in my opinion.

And, in answer to the hopefully sarcastic post above, the ZCP does not add HP or torque relative to the non-ZCP M3.
+1

This is called the placebo effect. No difference in the motor or weight so it is not faster. It probably just feels that way because the shifts are faster.

Steering probably feels 'tighter' because of the small drop and because the car is new. New suspension components, bushings, etc.

We should just turn this one into another 6MT vs DTC. BTW, The DCT is WAY faster than 6MT
__________________


E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
Titanium Silver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #56
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 585
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I am lucky enough to be able to change my cars every year without losing much money - won't bore you with the details but the cost to change the cars for me is very low. The reason i am getting another E90 M3 is that when the time came to order a new car there was no other car that suited my needs better than the M3 - its perfect for me at this point in my life.
Please bore me with the details...
__________________


E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
Titanium Silver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #57
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,295
iTrader: (5)

The oil cap is different, as is the gas cap. Both look cheaper, but the old oil cap didn't seal well, so maybe the new one will work better.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #58
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Dct is way faster than 6mt. It's accleration is far more effortless and seamless. But the difference between my 2011 dct and 2008 6mt is more than just the difference in transmission and acceleration. The car overall feels way better. It's louder, meaner, more responsive, more alive. It just feels like a whole different animal. It even feels faster than my 997.2 c2s in some way.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #59
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,862
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
+1

This is called the placebo effect. No difference in the motor or weight so it is not faster. It probably just feels that way because the shifts are faster.

Steering probably feels 'tighter' because of the small drop and because the car is new. New suspension components, bushings, etc.

We should just turn this one into another 6MT vs DTC. BTW, The DCT is WAY faster than 6MT
A DCT doesn't just feel faster... it is, in fact, faster. It has different gearing and faster shifting without losing throttle. Both result in better acceleration so, in this case, it is NOT just placebo effect. From a dead stop, a DCT would pull on a 6MT and that statement is not trying to start a DCT v 6MT thread... it is just a fact and what the OP is feeling.

DCT does NOT make the car better necessarily (transmission is a preference) but it does make the car faster. There is no argument in that and even die hard 6MT guys would agree.
__________________
2015 Austin Yellow M4 | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #60
ChrisK
Brigadier General
 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,855
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Dct is way faster than 6mt. It's accleration is far more effortless and seamless. But the difference between my 2011 dct and 2008 6mt is more than just the difference in transmission and acceleration. The car overall feels way better. It's louder, meaner, more responsive, more alive. It just feels like a whole different animal. It even feels faster than my 997.2 c2s in some way.
Didn't BMW also adopt the Euro air filter setup after 2009? That could give the newer cars a more aggressive sound, and maybe a few ponies?
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #61
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,644
iTrader: (3)

I prefer later years in a series simply because they've had a chance to work out any issues. Remember windows 3.0? total flop. 3.1 was a much bigger success because they worked things out.

I did my research on the forum and various issues in 08 was resolved in 09. Of course many were taken care of by the dealerships in 08 but by 2011 you'd figure they got most of the "bugs" out. I bought my 2011 a little too early and missed out on the iphone integration.
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #62
ss134
Brigadier General
 
ss134's Avatar
 
Drives: ...a hard bargain...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

Posts: 3,649
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Unless it is less then $500 dollars. It would make no sense to change for the exact same identical car just a newer year.

But in your case it might make some sense as they are about to introduce some special version of E90 M3's. Also, I think you can also get the competition pkg on 2011.
You are wrong - Even if it cost you $2000 it would still be worth it - your M3 will lose a lot more than that in depreciation after 12 months. You could have 3 M3's over 3 years and it will cost you in total only $6000 in total depreciation over a 3 year period - now have a look at how much depreciation a 3 year old M3 will have suffered. So in my position it makes total financial sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
Please bore me with the details...
I get my cars tax free (19% in Europe) and with a large discount on top due to my work - when i sell the car after a year the car is normally worth what i paid for it give or take.
__________________
2014 AW F80 M3 DCT
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 08-15-2011 at 09:02 AM.
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #63
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,862
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I get my cars tax free and with a large discount due to my work - when i sell the car after a year the car is normally worth what i paid for it give or take.
OK... what do you do, I want your job!
__________________
2015 Austin Yellow M4 | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #64
ss134
Brigadier General
 
ss134's Avatar
 
Drives: ...a hard bargain...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

Posts: 3,649
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
OK... what do you do, I want your job!
Trust me you don't!
__________________
2014 AW F80 M3 DCT
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #65
F82_SID
Brigadier General
 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,051
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
I got a 2011 manual comp package. They are the same. It just that you are driving DCT and it shift better/faster than you.
+1!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
I still like my manual though.
+2!
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
F82_SID is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #66
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Bart@AUTOcouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ

Posts: 4,066
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to Bart@AUTOcouture
2008 6MT sold
2011 6MT delivery next month.. I will update this thread with my thoughts

As far as DCT vs 6MT.. the DCT cars 'feel' a ton faster and having raced a few stock vs stock DCT cars, they in fact "are" faster because of the shifting speed.
__________________
Installs|Service|Sales - BMW Master Tech on staff!
ESS, Akrapovic, Eisenmann, HRE, OEM BMW, Cobb and more!


15-01 Pollitt Drive #6 | Fair Lawn, NJ 07642 | P: 201.666.3500 | Bart@autocouturemotoring.com | Facebook | youTube
Bart@AUTOcouture is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST