BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
335i back to E46 M3

Any body here gone from a 335i back to an E46 M3?

I know this is a somewhat controversial topic. I'm just curious to hear from people who have done it. I'm kind of bored with the 335i now that I've had it for 3 years. It might be nice to have BMW's last N/A high performance straight 6.
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Red Bread
Brigadier General
United_States
78
Rep
4,689
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
It might be nice to have BMW's last N/A high performance straight 6.
Wouldn't that be an M Coupe or M Roadster? Same motor, more entertaining package. Do you need a back seat?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Wouldn't that be an M Coupe or M Roadster? Same motor, more entertaining package. Do you need a back seat?
My father has a Z4 M Coupe actually --- its great as a track car but not great as a daily. I'd prefer the versatility of having back seats if needed--- I already have my track car (e36 M3). Good catch on the engine tagline though... I was just thinking S54 in general.
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
kdiggz
Captain
kdiggz's Avatar
No_Country
9
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: e92 ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (9)

it was a great car...for it's time. i think i would miss that extra 100hp or so. most people go from 335 to e92 m3. i think your way would be a step back imo. not to mention an old used car that may or may not have beat on and that's out of warranty. just my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
115
Rep
4,721
Posts

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
it was a great car...for it's time. i think i would miss that extra 100hp or so. most people go from 335 to e92 m3. i think your way would be a step back imo. not to mention an old used car that may or may not have beat on and that's out of warranty. just my opinion!
+1, I had a E46 330i and got a E46 M3, great car back then. When the E90 came out, I got a 330i, after that one a E90 335i, both manual. But I wanted something different so there it was, a E90 M3 6MT. Though the 335i was 1000% the better car in 9 out of 10 disciplines....

Now more than a year back to the turbo 6, and I don't regret it. Only the size of the 5er. That's why I want a F30 335i DKG within a year

Turbo is the future
(Except for the 458/599/Aventador and GT3 that is)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
kdiggz
Captain
kdiggz's Avatar
No_Country
9
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: e92 ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
+1, I had a E46 330i and got a E46 M3, great car back then. When the E90 came out, I got a 330i, after that one a E90 335i, both manual. But I wanted something different so there it was, a E90 M3 6MT. Though the 335i was 1000% the better car in 9 out of 10 disciplines....

Now more than a year back to the turbo 6, and I don't regret it. Only the size of the 5er. That's why I want a F30 335i DKG within a year

Turbo is the future
(Except for the 458/599/Aventador and GT3 that is)
+100000!!!

Finally! Somone that can admit that unless you are on a race track every weekend then the 335 is a better choice than the m3 for the real world every day driver. Not to mention 1 stealthy mod and 15 min later you are 100hp faster and you still have a car that is under warranty. The M guys get all bent out of shape when you try and tell them that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
172
Rep
4,773
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Do it. It's more connected, sounds better (it's engine noise, too), classic looks (can look sick when properly modded), and has crazy modding potential. I'd rather have a pristine '06 ZCP M3 than a brand new 335i/is.

Last edited by TK-421; 08-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
95
Rep
6,811
Posts

Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Turbo is the future
Good thing BMW has figured out how to make reliable turbo powerplants!!!

...err... wait a minute...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Do it. It's more connected, sounds better (it's engine noise, too), classic looks (can look sick when properly modded), and has crazy modding potential. I'd rather have a pristine '06 ZCP M3 than a brand new 335i/is.
Ya that's what I'm thinking especially after owning my e36 M3 for a while now. An M car is always going to have more road presence than a regular 3 series. And the service-ability of the more recent cars is pretty attrocious. On my E36 everything (within reason) is repairable via a bentley book and a trip to Roswell BMW or Harrisons...
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
MediaArtist's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Wow, two different cars. I agree with TK-421, the M3 has more road soul IMO. I've been driving a 335i for commuting purposes to get to my office, and I think it's a fantastic commuting car. Great gas mileage, more sporty than an Accord, but it's not raw enough for me to actually find it entertaining. I think you will find an E46 M3 entertaining, and that's what it's all about, especially if you post on car forums.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
115
Rep
4,721
Posts

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Ya that's what I'm thinking especially after owning my e36 M3 for a while now. An M car is always going to have more road presence than a regular 3 series. And the service-ability of the more recent cars is pretty attrocious. On my E36 everything (within reason) is repairable via a bentley book and a trip to Roswell BMW or Harrisons...
My friend(Advevo) has a 1M stock. It's better than the E46M3, Z4M and E9x M3 together. Just try that one. It's a blast. And the roadholding is great.

Ah here it is, around our hometown, a few weeks ago


TBH it was equipped with 18" wheels and tyres(non Michelin)

And here july 31st at the NS chasing a (tad)tuned CSL.


The red Porker @ 1:58 isn't a GT3 whatever, it's a GT2/Turbo with 500+bhp.

Last edited by Robin_NL; 08-11-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
172
Rep
4,773
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
My friend(Advevo) has a 1M stock. It's better than the E46M3, Z4M and E9x M3 together. Just try that one. It's a blast. And the roadholding is great.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
115
Rep
4,721
Posts

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Going from a E9x 335i to a E46M3 is going from let's say Diane Lane to Sofia Loren.

And yes, my car is comparable with Adele.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #14
b0bab0i
Major
10
Rep
1,001
Posts

Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Wouldn't that be an M Coupe or M Roadster? Same motor, more entertaining package. Do you need a back seat?
Z4M's have a weaker transmission
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #15
b0bab0i
Major
10
Rep
1,001
Posts

Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Going from a E9x 335i to a E46M3 is going from let's say Diane Lane to Sofia Loren.

And yes, my car is comparable with Adele.
shes a fat bitch
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Z4M's have a weaker transmission
Never heard. Almost every part on the whole car has a VIN or sticker from an e46 M3. I'll have to go down to the garage and check the Z4 M coupe later to see what it says on the transmission housing.
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
37
Rep
2,715
Posts

Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

do it..my friend did it. he doesn't regret it one bit.
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,293
Posts

Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

E46 M3 and install HPF stage 2 turbo kit...
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
216
Rep
10,593
Posts

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

^ bingo
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
172
Rep
4,773
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
E46 M3 and install HPF stage 2 turbo kit...
Stage 4 or go home

I rode in a Stage 2.75 (built internals, near 600 rwhp) and it blew my mind. I damn near sold everything I had to have it right then and there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #21
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
115
Rep
4,721
Posts

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
E46 M3 and install HPF stage 2 turbo kit...
A E46 M3 is/was good because of that NA higrevving 6. Why should you put a turbo on it, talking about the soul of the car.....

Just try the N54 equipped 1M, out of the box the best M since the M3 CSL.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #22
jophish17
First Lieutenant
jophish17's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: Z4MC
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Decatur, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 328  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4M  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Never heard. Almost every part on the whole car has a VIN or sticker from an e46 M3. I'll have to go down to the garage and check the Z4 M coupe later to see what it says on the transmission housing.
A Z4M transmission is from the z4, not the m3. Not sure what weaker means though..?

I loooove the s54, full stop - I would much rather have an E46 M3 than a 335, the only thing I like significantly better on the E9x's is the interior

Last edited by jophish17; 08-13-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST