BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Post Searching for a DEEP TONE exhaust

I just got my dream car last week (2011 E92 M3 Manual) and I absolutely love it. One of the few changes I want to make to it is obviously an exhaust system of some kind. Some of the things I like is a deep tone. Ive heard the exhaust on a 2016 WRX STI and love the deep tone it has at idle and crusing speed. I know they have box motors but Im sure I can get a deep sound like that or even lower with a v8. I also have a thing for backfire. Not tons of it but occasionally would be a plus (moderate).

Ive tried searching forums for deep toned exhausts but mostly ran into threads where people want high pitched notes rather than deep ones. I read about secondary cats delete but I'm unsure if my state (Connecticut) does a visual cat inspection.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
392
Rep
4,004
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

The Akrapovic Evo is a very deep boomy sound, maybe even obnoxiously so (there's a reason so many end up for sale on the classifieds...they sound gets old really fast).

The STI sound is something you will never replicate -- the unequal-length headers mean the exhaust gas pulses line up in a strange way and give it the unique sound.

Deleting your cats will make it raspy and tinny.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
vsix's Avatar
No_Country
371
Rep
1,538
Posts

Drives: M3 E92 sold now M4 F82
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

I have an MK Motorsport SS incl. SS connection pipes catback exhaust. Deep tone on low RPM's. 90mm tips
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
6829
Rep
7,515
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Est_MMXI View Post
I just got my dream car last week (2011 E92 M3 Manual) and I absolutely love it. One of the few changes I want to make to it is obviously an exhaust system of some kind. Some of the things I like is a deep tone. Ive heard the exhaust on a 2016 WRX STI and love the deep tone it has at idle and crusing speed. I know they have box motors but Im sure I can get a deep sound like that or even lower with a v8. I also have a thing for backfire. Not tons of it but occasionally would be a plus (moderate).

Ive tried searching forums for deep toned exhausts but mostly ran into threads where people want high pitched notes rather than deep ones. I read about secondary cats delete but I'm unsure if my state (Connecticut) does a visual cat inspection.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
I'm sure.. This is what you are looking for..
"Megan exhaust + MS x-pipe"
Note: Put your headphone on for the video !

And ?


__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
BrewRifle
Major
BrewRifle's Avatar
United_States
150
Rep
1,465
Posts

Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [3.58]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [4.00]
The GT2 is quite deep sounding at lower RPM's and is one of the most menacing sounding all around.
__________________
2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 ///M3 - ESS VT2-625
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The Akrapovic Evo is a very deep boomy sound, maybe even obnoxiously so (there's a reason so many end up for sale on the classifieds...they sound gets old really fast).

The STI sound is something you will never replicate -- the unequal-length headers mean the exhaust gas pulses line up in a strange way and give it the unique sound.

Deleting your cats will make it raspy and tinny.

Thanks for the reply. Ill definitely check that out. i don't mind the loudness as long as there is no drone at cruising speeds. I just really love that deep growl sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
I have an MK Motorsport SS incl. SS connection pipes catback exhaust. Deep tone on low RPM's. 90mm tips
Thanks for the reply, will be looking into that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I'm sure.. This is what you are looking for..
"Megan exhaust + MS x-pipe"
Note: Put your headphone on for the video !

And ?


Not sure if its the video or if the exhaust isn't as deep toned as I'm looking for. I'm not sure if its achievable but its a deep growl and rumble kinda tone that I'm looking for. I actually saw a video on a Meisterschaft Super Light GT Racing Exhaust and want a sound close to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
The GT2 is quite deep sounding at lower RPM's and is one of the most menacing sounding all around.
Who is that manufacture by?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
dparm's Avatar
United_States
392
Rep
4,004
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Est_MMXI View Post
Thanks for the reply. Ill definitely check that out. i don't mind the loudness as long as there is no drone at cruising speeds. I just really love that deep growl sound.

The Akra Evo drones pretty bad. That's the price you pay for the very deep note.

I would suggest attending some meets in your area to hear things in person. YouTube videos aren't terribly reliable (way too many different camera/mic setups, plus everyone seems to film at a different distance and angle).
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #11
BrewRifle
Major
BrewRifle's Avatar
United_States
150
Rep
1,465
Posts

Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [3.58]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est_MMXI View Post
Who is that manufacture by?
Meisterschaft
__________________
2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 ///M3 - ESS VT2-625
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #12
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The Akra Evo drones pretty bad. That's the price you pay for the very deep note.

I would suggest attending some meets in your area to hear things in person. YouTube videos aren't terribly reliable (way too many different camera/mic setups, plus everyone seems to film at a different distance and angle).
Yeah makes sense. I plan to attend some meets around me before this year is over. Was upset I got my car a month after bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
SSJTrunks523
Lieutenant
United_States
73
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est_MMXI View Post
Yeah makes sense. I plan to attend some meets around me before this year is over. Was upset I got my car a month after bimmerfest.
Where in CT? I'm shoreline. Exhaust is Def on the list.
__________________

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #14
JJH
Captain
JJH's Avatar
Australia
89
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia

iTrader: (1)

Something like this ...?

I have just installed one on my ride, from M3World - their rear exhaust section. It's definitely got that d-e-e-p tone. Here's a sample > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxilwUib-0
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
ns3425
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: Melbourne Red/ Black E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
AA catless x-pipe and AA signature exhaust. its deep but on the loud side.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #16
loveskiing
Major
United_States
297
Rep
1,194
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

I've heard the best way to get that deep sound is to remove all exhaust and just run it that way! Max power and killer sound!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
roastbeef
Brigadier General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
935
Rep
4,709
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

go catless with a gintiani burble tune with a mxp exhaust. thats going to be deep as hell.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
///MPower15
Captain
///MPower15's Avatar
138
Rep
723
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (11)

Gintani Race. I have some vids I might be able to send to you. Mine is for sale btw
__________________
2011 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White/Black | BBS Fi | Ohlins R/T | IPE | BPM | OSS | And a lot more
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:33 AM   #19
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
I've heard the best way to get that deep sound is to remove all exhaust and just run it that way! Max power and killer sound!
I've been considering a muffler delete until I find the right exhaust but I'm not sure what it'll sound like on a M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:34 AM   #20
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
Where in CT? I'm shoreline. Exhaust is Def on the list.
Im in Windsor but I saw a few meets in NJ coming up next month and in October.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:35 AM   #21
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
go catless with a gintiani burble tune with a mxp exhaust. thats going to be deep as hell.
Did some more research and CT does a visual inspection on cats so I have to keep them unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:36 AM   #22
Est_MMXI
Young Enthusiast
Est_MMXI's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
I have just installed one on my ride, from M3World - their rear exhaust section. It's definitely got that d-e-e-p tone. Here's a sample > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxilwUib-0
Thats deep lol. Which one is that exactly. I like that sound a lot.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
deep tone, exhaust, modification, muffler, newbie

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST