BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Wet/damp Track

Would it be 'safe' to run RS-3s on a wet/damp track?

I know for street driving, even if it's raining hard, one can just go slow and steady.... but tracking is different

AD08s/PSS should be fine from what I've heard.
R-comps go home...
Curious on the RS-3s..

Thanks :P
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

they are fine, no issues ever
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
799
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (4)

Depends how much tread is left on them! I know I wouldn't be caught on a wet track with the RS-3's I have on my E36 right now... unless I was planning to try my hand at drifting. In the end they are a street tire though, so if they're in decent shape you should be fine.
__________________
Just a girl and her 550 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Depends on how much water there is on the track. Dry track competition tires are fine on a damp track as long as you can put heat into them and there is no standing water. If there is standing water, tread depth is critical even if you are on a street tire (which will have wider channels to evacuate water). In other words, there is no single answer to your question. Of course, the ultimate experience is wet track competition tires; I haul around a set of hoosier wets in the spring around here regardless of the forecast.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
799
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (4)

Talk about timing... Grassroots Motorsports was in the mailbox this afternoon and they tested 6 tires in the wet, one of which was the Hankook V-S3, tested on a Miata MX-5.

"Our dry-track superstar forgot to bring its rainy-day shoes. The confidence we found on it in the dry was gone in the wet, as both drivers complained of abrupt breakaway characteristics. 'You have to tiptoe with this one', John added. 'Relatively small slides result in a big time penalty as you wait for the tire to recover traction.' "

Looks like the winners in this test were Dunlop Direzza Star Specs and Yoko Advan Neova AD08's. Other tires tested included the Bridgestone RE-11's, Kumho Ecsta XS's and Toyo Proxes R1R's.

That's not to say the 'kooks are unsafe, but you should step foot in the pool with a toe, not a divebomb. Figure out where the limits are gradually and you should be fine.
__________________
Just a girl and her 550 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com

Last edited by dnvrdrvr; 08-10-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Talk about timing... Grassroots Motorsports was in the mailbox this afternoon and they tested 6 tires in the wet, one of which was the Hankook V-S3, tested on a Miata MX-5.

"Our dry-track superstar forgot to bring its rainy-day shoes. The confidence we found on it in the dry was gone in the wet, as both drivers complained of abrupt breakaway characteristics. 'You have to tiptoe with this one', John added. 'Relatively small slides result in a big time penalty as you wait for the tire to recover traction.' "

Looks like the winners in this test were Dunlop Direzza Star Specs and Yoko Advan Neova AD08's. Other tires tested included the Bridgestone RE-11's, Kumho Ecsta XS's and Toyo Proxes R1R's.

That's not to say the 'kooks are unsafe, but you should step foot in the pool with a toe, not a divebomb. Figure out where the limits are gradually and you should be fine.
Thanks for the post.

Anyway I can get a link to the article?

So I assume if it's pouring rain I should go home :P lol

Thank you ~
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
799
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Thanks for the post.

Anyway I can get a link to the article?

So I assume if it's pouring rain I should go home :P lol

Thank you ~
Hmm... It doesn't look like they offer free online access to their articles online. I looked on Tire Rack's site too (they sponsored the article) and didn't see it there yet either.

Anyhow, don't just turn around & go home!!! The tires weren't rated a complete failure in the wet, just not as good as a couple of others. Take it easy and enjoy feeling the car & tires out & you'll be fine.
__________________
Just a girl and her 550 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Hmm... It doesn't look like they offer free online access to their articles online. I looked on Tire Rack's site too (they sponsored the article) and didn't see it there yet either.

Anyhow, don't just turn around & go home!!! The tires weren't rated a complete failure in the wet, just not as good as a couple of others. Take it easy and enjoy feeling the car & tires out & you'll be fine.
MDM or full traction will be kept on in that case :P

I'll run slow in beginner, get lines down better
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST