BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Stick to Clutch

08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Dub A
Dub A

Drives: e92 IB

Eibach on e93 - Input needed

Guys,

Im thinking of lowering my car on Eibach springs(possibly the KW sleeves) since the car rides so damn high(especially in the front). Just fyi, Im doing this strictly based on asthetic purposes. I have EDC on my car as well and running the Contis. As stated, my main goal is to reduce the "gap".

Wanted to see if anyone had any input on the following:

- In terms of ride quality, is it safe to assume that the ride quality on the OEM sport mode would be equilvant to the softest ride quality on the Eibach?

- If i want to bring the car back to OEM later on, what advice you guys give in terms of things to mod on the suspension, i.e. bump stops, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Dub A is offline   United_States
      08-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Leo@AlpineMSS
Banned

Drives: M3

Eibachs ride real soft but don't really lower much...
      08-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifali14 View Post
- In terms of ride quality, is it safe to assume that the ride quality on the OEM sport mode would be equilvant to the softest ride quality on the Eibach?

- If i want to bring the car back to OEM later on, what advice you guys give in terms of things to mod on the suspension, i.e. bump stops, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

1. No, the ride is bouncier. I did NOT like Eibachs.

2. Not sure what you mean here.
      08-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drives: very well

I have eibachs on my 2011 E93 and the ride is as comfortable as stock yet less body roll when driven aggressively and most definitely and noticeably lowered the car. I did not change bump stops.

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Poleposition is offline   United_States
      08-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Dub A
Dub A

Drives: e92 IB

Thanks for the input guys!
Dub A is offline   United_States
      08-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
aka_phox
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
I have eibachs on my 2011 E93 and the ride is as comfortable as stock yet less body roll when driven aggressively and most definitely and noticeably lowered the car. I did not change bump stops.
Pole,
You just have Eibach Pro springs and no other suspension mods correct? Where can I see more pics of your drop?
Thanks

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
      03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
aka_phox
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble

Quote:

Do you have problems going over dips are hard bumps?

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
      03-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
skins333
Captain

Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox View Post
No problems over dips or hard bumps..car hasn't bottomed out yet or anything like that. Not really even that jarring. What bothers me is rattles when driving over poor/rough pavement. It's not so much that it feels all that harsh or rough, just hate the rattling sounds.
skins333 is offline   United_States
      03-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox View Post
I have no problems going over dips or hard bumps. Hard bumps don't feel great with 20's but the tradeoff is worth it to me. Handles awesome and looks great. No rattles in my car.

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Poleposition is offline   United_States
      03-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
skins333
Captain

Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG

Quote:
I have no problems going over dips or hard bumps. Hard bumps don't feel great with 20's but the tradeoff is worth it to me. Handles awesome and looks great. No rattles in my car.
Plus the rattles were more over the first several days (esp with top down and windows up). They are much better, now minimal. Either I'm getting used to it or just needed to break in springs a bit. I agree w/ above..well worth the tradeoff. Looks much better and do feel handling and steering feel improved.
skins333 is offline   United_States
      04-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
1. No, the ride is bouncier. I did NOT like Eibachs.

2. Not sure what you mean here.
Explain.

Everyone says the ride gets "bouncier" on aftermarket springs. I've read that a lot for H&Rs too.
      04-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
corrado79
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Very happy with my Eibachs. They lower the tall front end nicely and feel about the same as "normal" mode on stock springs.
      04-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
MiamiM3
Private

Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT, 2013 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Explain.

Everyone says the ride gets "bouncier" on aftermarket springs. I've read that a lot for H&Rs too.
I installed Eibach springs/E36 M3 bumpstops about two weeks ago and I love how it looks. The problem I have is the ride is not nearly as composed as the stock suspension, especially over rough road surfaces. I feel the stock strut dampening doesn't match up real well with the Eibach spring rates, because of this you get a bit of bounce. I am going to remove the Eibach springs and reinstall my stock springs this weekend. I think the only way you are going to improve upon what the M-division created is possibly coilovers.
      04-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM3

I installed Eibach springs/E36 M3 bumpstops about two weeks ago and I love how it looks. The problem I have is the ride is not nearly as composed as the stock suspension, especially over rough road surfaces. I feel the stock strut dampening doesn't match up real well with the Eibach spring rates, because of this you get a bit of bounce. I am going to remove the Eibach springs and reinstall my stock springs this weekend. I think the only way you are going to improve upon what the M-division created is possibly coilovers.
I wonder how the kw sleeve kit is in this regard.
      04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel

Can anyone comment on this? If the KW sleeve kit doesn't behave like this I'm going with those over Eibachs.
      04-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
DansM
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT

would like to know as well...
      05-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
suprafrank
Enlisted Member

Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
I agree. I have Eibach springs installed about 3 months ago and I love the way the car looks and the ride is almost the same as stock and I haven't notice any noises with Eibach (and trust me, I am a very detailed person). I didn't bother to change the bump stops neither. I have electronic dampening control also and all 3 settings work well. Haven't noticed tires bumped into the wheelwell cover even going over some bumps on the road. The car's handling is same as before or may be better but definitely not worse than original. With Eibach, the M3 seems to handle high speed curvy roads better comparing to with stock springs. I hesitated about getting the Eibach installed after reading mixed reviews/opinions but I am glad that I went ahead and got them installed.

BUT.....I noticed that after lowering the car, the low beam bixenon headlight is aiming very high. I double checked the bixenon level sensor on driver side and it seems to be properly hooked up. I manually adjusted the headlight myself by turning the knob on top of the headlight housing (my M3 is the coupe). Not sure if anyone notice this issue or if anyone else has this issue.

Will post some before and after pics later when I get a chance.

Last edited by suprafrank; 05-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.
      05-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!

Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafrank
Quote:
I agree. I have Eibach springs installed about 3 months ago and I love the way the car looks and the ride is almost the same as stock and I haven't notice any noises with Eibach (and trust me, I am a very detailed person). I didn't bother to change the bump stops neither. I have electronic dampening control also and all 3 settings work well. Haven't noticed tires bumped into the wheelwell cover even going over some bumps on the road. The car's handling is same as before or may be better but definitely not worse than original. With Eibach, the M3 seems to handle high speed curvy roads better comparing to with stock springs. I hesitated about getting the Eibach installed after reading mixed reviews/opinions but I am glad that I went ahead and got them installed.

BUT.....I noticed that after lowering the car, the low beam bixenon headlight is aiming very high. I double checked the bixenon level sensor on driver side and it seems to be properly hooked up. I manually adjusted the headlight myself by turning the knob on top of the headlight housing (my M3 is the coupe). Not sure if anyone notice this issue or if anyone else has this issue.

Hmm that's weird. I am experiencing the opposite. After installing eibach, my headlights appear to be aiming low. I'd like to correct this but I'm not sure where the knobs are.
XR_SIX is offline   United_States
      05-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
suprafrank
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_SIX View Post
Hmm that's weird. I am experiencing the opposite. After installing eibach, my headlights appear to be aiming low. I'd like to correct this but I'm not sure where the knobs are.
This should help:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=407422

05-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!

Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafrank
Quote:
This should help:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=407422

You are the man suprafrank. Thanks! I was too lazy to do a search lol
XR_SIX is offline   United_States
      05-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
suprafrank
Enlisted Member

Quote:
You are the man suprafrank. Thanks! I was too lazy to do a search lol
You are welcome.

Also check this and make sure the sensor arm is properly hooked up:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507566

Last edited by suprafrank; 05-21-2012 at 11:38 PM.
      05-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
suprafrank
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafrank View Post

Pics:
with stock springs:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=37779

with Eibach springs:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=37778

Eibach springs withe Avant Garde M355 (new M5 style wheels):
http://www.m3post.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=37780
http://www.m3post.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=37781

Hope the pics are helpful.

By the way, I just found the following post that addresses a way to correct the bixenon headlight aiming too high problem:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389548

Last edited by suprafrank; 06-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.