BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

PYSPEED

08-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
lukester
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW M3

Question How long does the ECU need to learn after a mod? Can this be resetted?

Hi guys,

I'm running the complete Akrapovic exhaust for some weeks and installed the MS pulleys and the MS Intake Stage 2 yesterday.

For the install of the pulleys and the Intake Kit we unplugged the battery to be sure.

How long does the ECU adapt? As after starting and running the car yesterday evening for ~20miles I can say ... it pulls hard and feels good but if I didn't know that we installed the pulleys and the intake kit I'm not sure I could tell.

Looking for an idea to understand the ECU. Will this be resetted if unplugged from the battery for 3-4 hours?
Even if not unplugged and you change something. Has anybody an idea how long it takes until it completely adapted the new "environment".
      08-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I think the vehicle adapting to mods is based on actually driving and configuring itself in the real world.
      08-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
lukester
Second Lieutenant

so that means it's a never ending adaption process.
before this M3 my last "project" was a race ready supercharged Challenger SRT8 where disconnecting the battery as well as reflashing the ECU with the tune helped a lot to reset all adaptions and to bring the real power and responsiviness back again.

Any ideas if this is needed with the e9x M3s?
      08-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

after i tuned my car i noticed it right away.

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      08-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
P@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Quick enough

You will need to either reset the adaptations manually (using a tool such as the Bav Tec, or soon, our own tool) or simply drive for a while to let it adapt on it's own unfortunately.
      08-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
lukester
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
You will need to either reset the adaptations manually (using a tool such as the Bav Tec, or soon, our own tool) or simply drive for a while to let it adapt on it's own unfortunately.
hmm. sounds familiar with the Challenger ECU. But shouldn't a complete reflash of the ECU with e.g. your Akrapovic tune reset adaptions, too?
      08-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Sal@Evolve

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
hmm. sounds familiar with the Challenger ECU. But shouldn't a complete reflash of the ECU with e.g. your Akrapovic tune reset adaptions, too?
No, all adaptions are not reset with a flash.
      08-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Roman@ESS

Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3

Adaptation on this ECU is fairly quick. Simply drive the car and it will self correct as much as it can given conditions, mods etc.. There are some changes the ecu cannot correct such as power changes at certain RPM's due to some exhaust system designs and major changes such as displacement and forced induction. For these you will need to look into tuning options to correct.
      08-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Sal@Evolve

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
Hi guys,

I'm running the complete Akrapovic exhaust for some weeks and installed the MS pulleys and the MS Intake Stage 2 yesterday.

For the install of the pulleys and the Intake Kit we unplugged the battery to be sure.

How long does the ECU adapt? As after starting and running the car yesterday evening for ~20miles I can say ... it pulls hard and feels good but if I didn't know that we installed the pulleys and the intake kit I'm not sure I could tell.

Looking for an idea to understand the ECU. Will this be resetted if unplugged from the battery for 3-4 hours?
Even if not unplugged and you change something. Has anybody an idea how long it takes until it completely adapted the new "environment".
Disconnecting the battery does not reset the adaptions.

An intake and pulley is a small gain in power. From the particular products you have I know where they come from and they are going to do something.

Some people will install a filter and come back saying ..... WOW..... car pulls so much harder it's unreal!
Same thing will pulley......... man, it really is so much more free revving!

There isn't exactly much to adapt to with these two upgrades. Intake temperatures are taken care of by AIT sensor, any minimal increase in RF will be taken in to account very quick and I doubt there is much change to the lambda anyway but that would be dealt with real quick too.

To fully understand the ECU will take someone to write a huge essay but to get a general idea (which is way more than anyone on here has right now!) it would be fairly doable so that everyone understand it.

Just do not lose sight on the basics....... engine's have not changed and ignition, fuel and cam timing are still the major basic tuning factors.
      08-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
That's great news : )
Singletrack is offline   United_States