BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
avex8
Captain
 
avex8's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3, 13 X3 35i, 14 650i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 727
iTrader: (2)

rpi gtm full system good deal?

I was at an auto shop yesterday, and one of the employee told me he got a new full RPI GTM system in the shop for sale. It was on an e90 and the CEL came on so the owner didn't want to spend the extra $ to get rid off the CEL, so they took it right off. He is asking for US$2,100 for the whole system including installation. What you guys think? is it a good deal? Also any negative thoughts about the system? too much drone or anything?

Also i heard you can get rid off the CEL by getting the dinan stage 2 software, but what is another cheaper way to get rid off the CEL?
avex8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
 
mshab356's Avatar
 
Drives: a ///Monster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (2)

What does $2100 come with? Just the mufflers, or connecting pipes, x-pipe, section 1? Because a new GTM system is $1700 for the mufflers (not sure if that includes connecting pipes). That guy may be trying to scam you. Make sure you ask him what comes with it and what issues there are with the system, how many miles on it, etc...and do some research on the forum!
__________________
2011.5 SG E92 ///M3 6MT | CF kidney grills | IND SG painted side grills w/ tinted lenses | Painted bumper reflectors | TMS 90mm stud kit | Rear fog light mod | Active Autowerke exhaust |

mshab356 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
dibxna
Lieutenant
 
dibxna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 LMB e90 m3 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona

Posts: 555
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshab356 View Post
What does $2100 come with? Just the mufflers, or connecting pipes, x-pipe, section 1? Because a new GTM system is $1700 for the mufflers (not sure if that includes connecting pipes). That guy may be trying to scam you. Make sure you ask him what comes with it and what issues there are with the system, how many miles on it, etc...and do some research on the forum!
easiest thing is to just go to RPi's website to see what it would cost brand new and assume that plus a couple hundo for install would be for a brand new system from RPi.
__________________
*09' E90 M3 :: Le Mans Blue w/ silver novillo :: DCT*
*66' 427 Big Block Corvette :: Maroon :: Straight Piped*
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
dibxna is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,338
iTrader: (14)

If that is a full system that's a good deal! (a rear section won't throw a CEL by itself)
__________________
IMG_3969-Edit by kitw, on Flickr
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
avex8
Captain
 
avex8's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3, 13 X3 35i, 14 650i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 727
iTrader: (2)

yes it is a full system. If i get the CEL, how do i get rid off it? I don't want to spend another 1000 dollar to get dinan stage 2 or ess tuning to get rid off the CEL.
avex8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
BlackSaphr
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MTL

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

Im looking into the RPI GTM full system its 2700$ on Rpi's site, i think 2100 is a good deal installed, go for a tune and you can pick up another 15hp and forget about the CEL..

if you think about it in the end your paying 3100 with a tune which is damn close to the price of the exhaust new

as for the tune im thinking about ESS
BlackSaphr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

I have the same exhaust, and to get rid of the CEL, I'm running the Akraprovic Delete-R. Works perfectly and you can pick one up used on the forum for around $300. They pop up every now and then.

It's just a little thing that plugs into the OBD port, completely out of site and out of mind.

Oh and yea that's a REALLY good deal for an exhaust that makes amazing gains.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
dibxna
Lieutenant
 
dibxna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 LMB e90 m3 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona

Posts: 555
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
I have the same exhaust, and to get rid of the CEL, I'm running the Akraprovic Delete-R. Works perfectly and you can pick one up used on the forum for around $300. They pop up every now and then.

It's just a little thing that plugs into the OBD port, completely out of site and out of mind.

Oh and yea that's a REALLY good deal for an exhaust that makes amazing gains.
good call out on that akra part. thanks!
__________________
*09' E90 M3 :: Le Mans Blue w/ silver novillo :: DCT*
*66' 427 Big Block Corvette :: Maroon :: Straight Piped*
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
dibxna is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
dibxna
Lieutenant
 
dibxna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 LMB e90 m3 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona

Posts: 555
iTrader: (0)

im at work right now so dont have access to youtube, but there is an AW E92 with the RPi GTM exhaust on it if you just search 'rpi gtm exhaust' and it gives a great idea of what the sound of the exhaust is if you havent had an opportunity to hear it just yet. not as deep as say meister or gintani but very sweet sounding. and as krozi pointed out, it is literally the best bang for your buck. you get huge gains in both hp and tq and the beauty is you are paying the cost of what a slip on exhaust would be, but getting a full exhaust.
__________________
*09' E90 M3 :: Le Mans Blue w/ silver novillo :: DCT*
*66' 427 Big Block Corvette :: Maroon :: Straight Piped*
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
dibxna is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
ScorpionT
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i, SL65
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arctic Circle

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)



Has a great snarl sound in the lower to mid RPM's. For the price you are offered, I would get it as long as you like the sound.
ScorpionT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionT View Post


Has a great snarl sound in the lower to mid RPM's. For the price you are offered, I would get it as long as you like the sound.

That's actually my vid and car
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!

Last edited by Krozi; 07-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
 
mshab356's Avatar
 
Drives: a ///Monster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
That's actually my vid and car
Dude I've watched the video of your car with the GTM exhaust probably 50 times. That thing sounds AMAZING!! Is it just the axle-back system? Or do you have x-pipe with it?
__________________
2011.5 SG E92 ///M3 6MT | CF kidney grills | IND SG painted side grills w/ tinted lenses | Painted bumper reflectors | TMS 90mm stud kit | Rear fog light mod | Active Autowerke exhaust |

mshab356 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshab356 View Post
Dude I've watched the video of your car with the GTM exhaust probably 50 times. That thing sounds AMAZING!! Is it just the axle-back system? Or do you have x-pipe with it?
Hahah thanks!

It's the full system, primary cat delete, secondary cat delete, x-pipe, and mufflers.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,198
iTrader: (2)

***OP has an e92 but the system in question is off an e90...just something to note..

do you know if the previous owner had the model specific e90 rpi exhaust or was running the e92 exhaust and perhaps a diffuser...reason being, the e90 exhaust is shorter than the e92 exhaust...
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #15
avex8
Captain
 
avex8's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3, 13 X3 35i, 14 650i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 727
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Hahah thanks!

It's the full system, primary cat delete, secondary cat delete, x-pipe, and mufflers.
I love that video as well. The sound is amazing but i am worry it will be too much for DD and how much noise can you hear inside the car with windows up? I feel like i will get pull over by the cop easily with that exhaust. I paid the money already but i am debating if i should get the refund.... Love the gain but the sound is little too much.
avex8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerx8 View Post
I love that video as well. The sound is amazing but i am worry it will be too much for DD and how much noise can you hear inside the car with windows up? I feel like i will get pull over by the cop easily with that exhaust. I paid the money already but i am debating if i should get the refund.... Love the gain but the sound is little too much.
I DD the car and I can deal with it...I got pulled over yesterday for the second time because of the exhaust though lol
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
avex8
Captain
 
avex8's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3, 13 X3 35i, 14 650i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 727
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
I DD the car and I can deal with it...I got pulled over yesterday for the second time because of the exhaust though lol
Did you get a ticket for it?

I know the RPI GTM system is pretty much a straight pipe system and it definitely won't pass smog test or any emission test. Is there a way to pass those test?
avex8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,728
iTrader: (289)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerx8 View Post
Did you get a ticket for it?

I know the RPI GTM system is pretty much a straight pipe system and it definitely won't pass smog test or any emission test. Is there a way to pass those test?
yeah go back to stock, pass test, put exhaust back on
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST