BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Giles
New Member
 
Drives: E93 M3 Silverstone
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SA

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Article in UK Autocar

I am new here but have picked up a lot of useful information - thanks.

I see from the Autocar website http://www.autocar.co.uk that this weeks edition of Autocar has a comparison of the New M3 vs Audi RS4. Do any of the UK members have a copy of this article, and would it be possible to post the contents if you do?
Giles is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Jason-NY
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '01 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

It's just the "tech details". Same stuff every other mag has. It's just a catchy cover to make you think they've driven the car, which they haven't.
Jason-NY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Steved
Lieutenant
 
Steved's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

None of the magazines are due to drive a car yet, although usually the German magazines such as Auto Zeitung, Sport Auto etc get the jump on the english speaking magazines.
Steved is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Giles
New Member
 
Drives: E93 M3 Silverstone
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SA

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Guys

Was just wondering what they said about comparisons with the RS4 - I assume they reckon it will outperform the RS4 due to the weight and drivetrain advantages?
Giles is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Was just wondering what they said about comparisons with the RS4 - I assume they reckon it will outperform the RS4 due to the weight and drivetrain advantages?
You would be suprised, I didnt know this till yesterday, but the RS4 is actually 5kg lighter than the E92 M3! and check out my post from another thread:

"To clear the whole A5 vs. 3 series issue up, a lot of people say the S5 isnt as good as the M3, well look:

Audi A5 Coupe vs. BMW 3 Series Coupe
Audi S5 Coupe vs. BMW 335i Coupe
Audi RS5 Coupe vs. BMW M3 Coupe

Thats how simple it is. The S5 is not an M3 competitor, in my opinion, neither is the RS4. Well think about it, it IS a 4 door saloon. Which means:

Audi RS5 Coupe vs. BMW M3 Coupe
Audi RS4 Saloon vs. BMW M3 Saloon

Its really quite simple. Then I guess it just comes down to taste and performance. Lets be honest, both cars look great. I like the new 3 Coupe, looks good on the road, but I also think the A5/S5 design is great too. Cmon look at the S5 pic I attached. I also prefer the Audi interior, especially in the S5, look at the seats. I dunno though, they are both really great cars, but I seem to prefer the Audi at the mo. I wonder what the RS5 will be like compared to the new M3. I was looking on rsportcars.com and it says the RS4 is 5kg lighter than the E92 M3 ! This should be very interesting, dont forget the new IS-F too, I know everyone might not agree with the styling but looking at the engine, brakes etc. It sounds good, woulda been better if it was a manual though..."
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
You would be suprised, I didnt know this till yesterday, but the RS4 is actually 5kg lighter than the E92 M3! and check out my post from another thread:
NO, you DID know it till yesterday. Don't know what's you source (rsportcars???), but you compared the weights based on different standards.

RS4 weight (DIN) 1650 kg
RS4 weight (EU) ?? (Haven't seen a official number yet)
RS4 testcar weight: 1721kg/1778kg

M3 weight (DIN) 1580 kg
M3 weight (EU) 1655 kg
M3 testcar weight ??

So we're talking about a weight advantage for the M3 of at least 70kg...

Or let me say it in your own words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Please check before you make incorrect statements...

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Steved
Lieutenant
 
Steved's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

It really would be worth people remembering that 'very few' stats quoted on internet sites are fully reliable (whether that be magazines or comparison sites), you have to take manufacturer quoted figures and even then you need to factor in which standards they used to arrive at them.

For example Audi UK quote 1650kg for the RS4 Saloon (which will be a DIN standard) whereas Audi US quote 3957 lbs which is equivalent to 1799 kg.

So be careful.

Just out of interest, although the new M3 seems quite heavy it is still 50kg lighter than a 997 Turbo (when comparing DIN weights) - 1536kg vs 1585kg.
Steved is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
NO, you DID know it till yesterday. Don't know what's you source (rsportcars???), but you compared the weights based on different standards.

RS4 weight (DIN) 1650 kg
RS4 weight (EU) ?? (Haven't seen a official number yet)
RS4 testcar weight: 1721kg/1778kg

M3 weight (DIN) 1580 kg
M3 weight (EU) 1655 kg
M3 testcar weight ??

So we're talking about a weight advantage for the M3 of at least 70kg...

Or let me say it in your own words:



Best regards, south

Well I'm sorry but I did check, infact I checked quite a few sites, and thats why I said that, sorry for any confusion caused but I genuinly thought it was lighter...
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Well I'm sorry but I did check, infact I checked quite a few sites, and thats why I said that, sorry for any confusion caused but I genuinly thought it was lighter...
No problem, but it would be sad if the M3 wasn't lighter. The RS4 does have the advantage of AWD, the M3 the advantage of weighing less...

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
No problem, but it would be sad if the M3 wasn't lighter. The RS4 does have the advantage of AWD, the M3 the advantage of weighing less...

Best regards, south
Yeah I was quite shocked that the RS4 could be lighter, anyway, would you not think the RS5 would be more of a competitor for the E92 M3 ? I thought the RS4 would be more of an E90 M3 competitor....
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Yeah I was quite shocked that the RS4 could be lighter, anyway, would you not think the RS5 would be more of a competitor for the E92 M3 ? I thought the RS4 would be more of an E90 M3 competitor....
You're basically right, but in the last years there was neither a RS5 nor a M3 sedan, so we all did already get used to the comparison between RS4 and M3 coupe. So the M3 will at first have to take on the RS4. IF it is better (who will determine this, the magazines??) than the RS4, the Audi devotees (OT: the guys that are so sure about the RS4 being far better than the "imitating" M3 - did anybody read the m3 thread on rs6.com??) will say: They didn't compare the real competitors WTF!
So afterwards the M3 Coupe will be compared to the RS5; this could be a closer race because of the RS5 being a whole generation newer than the RS4. BUT 1) Will the RS5 really be better?? and 2) When will it come out???

Finally I don't expect to big differences between E90 M3 and E92 M3 so a comparison between the E92 and RS4 will already give a good prediction for the E90. How much the RS5 can be better than the RS4? I don't know! But do you expect the RS5 being so much better?

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,350
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You're basically right, but in the last years there was neither a RS5 nor a M3 sedan, so we all did already get used to the comparison between RS4 and M3 coupe. So the M3 will at first have to take on the RS4. IF it is better (who will determine this, the magazines??) than the RS4, the Audi devotees (OT: the guys that are so sure about the RS4 being far better than the "imitating" M3 - did anybody read the m3 thread on rs6.com??) will say: They didn't compare the real competitors WTF!
So afterwards the M3 Coupe will be compared to the RS5; this could be a closer race because of the RS5 being a whole generation newer than the RS4. BUT 1) Will the RS5 really be better?? and 2) When will it come out???

Finally I don't expect to big differences between E90 M3 and E92 M3 so a comparison between the E92 and RS4 will already give a good prediction for the E90. How much the RS5 can be better than the RS4? I don't know! But do you expect the RS5 being so much better?

Best regards, south

You made some really good points there. I hate when people are so loyal to a brand that they cant see that other people may offer something better...

I too think it will be a closer comparison between the RS5 and E92 M3 because they are both Coupes and the RS5 will be lighter than the RS4. I see what you mean about the E90 and E92 being similar, but would the E90 not be heavier? anyway only time will tell, I just really wanna see how all these machines perform...
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Just out of interest, although the new M3 seems quite heavy it is still 50kg lighter than a 997 Turbo (when comparing DIN weights) - 1536kg vs 1585kg.
Yes it might be slightly lighter than a 997 turbo, but in terms of torque the M3 is nowhere near, and the E92 M3 is significantly heavier than a C2S!
E36325is is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
You made some really good points there. I hate when people are so loyal to a brand that they cant see that other people may offer something better...

I too think it will be a closer comparison between the RS5 and E92 M3 because they are both Coupes and the RS5 will be lighter than the RS4. I see what you mean about the E90 and E92 being similar, but would the E90 not be heavier? anyway only time will tell, I just really wanna see how all these machines perform...
The weight difference between E90 335i and E92 335i is as low as 10kg. The CFK roof which only the E92 M3 gets, saves 4kg. Some other minor things could change, so the E90 will be heavier, but not to much... I can only agree with you, exciting times with exciting machines...


Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
Steved
Lieutenant
 
Steved's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36325is View Post
Yes it might be slightly lighter than a 997 turbo, but in terms of torque the M3 is nowhere near, and the E92 M3 is significantly heavier than a C2S!
Of course. But it provides some context, not in terms of acceleration but in terms of the overall feel/agility of the car, although clearly a 997 will have a lower CofG.
Steved is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
M3_Mad
New Member
 
M3_Mad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36325is View Post
Yes it might be slightly lighter than a 997 turbo, but in terms of torque the M3 is nowhere near, and the E92 M3 is significantly heavier than a C2S!
Yeah, but Porsche went way overboard with the turbo's on that thing. They constantly adjust to suit the engine revs, which makes a huge differance! I can't remember the exact figures but the engine can produce over 500 foot pounds of torque! Thats crazy! Whats even crazier is that it can put all of that power down without blowing up the tyres!
__________________

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black" - Henry Ford
M3_Mad is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #17
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
 
The CSL's Avatar
 
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Plymouth, UK

Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)

It'd be nice if BMW could follow the GT3 route of having a 'clubsport' option, bringing lighter seats and other goodies, with iDrive and climate control removed. Something lighter and more for the enthusiast.
__________________
The CSL is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '02 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Sandbox

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
It'd be nice if BMW could follow the GT3 route of having a 'clubsport' option, bringing lighter seats and other goodies, with iDrive and climate control removed. Something lighter and more for the enthusiast.

CSL?
M3onTwomps is offline   Iraq
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #19
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
 
The CSL's Avatar
 
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Plymouth, UK

Posts: 660
iTrader: (0)

Yes I know that's basically a CSL, but signs are pointing towards the best bits of that going on the normal car and besides, not everyone wants paddle-shift gearboxes.

I could have removed my dumb hat when I posted that though...
__________________
The CSL is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
888
I'm takin' the day off.
 
888's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

RS4 vs M3

Donít forget this article:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/carg...wer_shift.html from 2006.

Summary: The M3 is still the all-conquering action hero. Did I mention there's a new one later this year?

Trust me nothing (in its price range) will touch the new M3 for some time (IMO).

+ who cares what the others do the M3 will hold its value much better simply because itís an M3 (ok flame me now)
__________________
If I were to agree with you we would both be wrong.
888 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
Steved
Lieutenant
 
Steved's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England

Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Donít forget this article:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/carg...wer_shift.html from 2006.
I worked with Jethro on an article comparing the new Cayenne Turbo vs ML63 last month. He's a down to earth kind of guy and wouldn't have rated the M3 CS so highly against the RS4 if it didn't warrant the praise.

It will be fun finding out how the E92 M3 compares with the M3 CS, but it couldn't be any worse could it?
Steved is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #22
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Mad View Post
Yeah, but Porsche went way overboard with the turbo's on that thing. They constantly adjust to suit the engine revs, which makes a huge differance! I can't remember the exact figures but the engine can produce over 500 foot pounds of torque! Thats crazy! Whats even crazier is that it can put all of that power down without blowing up the tyres!
The 997 turbo is s great car, but the 502 ft/lbs of torque does not FEEL like 502 ft/lbs, which is kind of a disappointment. The turbo basically leap frogs from point to point in a less than dramatic fashion. Redline comes way too quickly.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST