BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GT Haus

07-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #23
BLKSWAN
Private

Drives: E92 M3 (On Order)

Funny story too is that the installer (local Porsche shop) was amazed at how the M3 sounds with exhaust. They had no clue how much of a beast this thing is...
      07-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36

Drives: Race car->

also as a side note may be my imagination but it seems a lot easier to bury the tach in a hurry. i never had the issue before of overshooting the rev limiter but i have done it a few times as it seems to come up quicker?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      07-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
BMWKid39
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

This is great information! I'm also thinking about getting your kind of set up.

I was wondering how you got rid of the CEL? How is the sound on the exhaust on the street vs. freeway?
      08-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #26
1MOREMOD

didnt get rid of my cel yet waiting for my evolve tune to do that. it is a little loud around town at slow speeds but once on the freeway cruising its not bad at all. little drone but liveable.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
      08-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #27
1MOREMOD

just sent of my ecu file tonight to get sal at evolve to progam up my tune.

08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
e92 M3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
also as a side note may be my imagination but it seems a lot easier to bury the tach in a hurry. i never had the issue before of overshooting the rev limiter but i have done it a few times as it seems to come up quicker?
Hey Chris, I just had my xpipe Sport installed this weekend. I agree with you that their is definitely some noticeable power at WOT. The sound is intoxicating.

I can't imagine what the Race version sounds like with no restrictions.

2011 E92 M3 ZCP
[ ESS VT2-625 ][ ESS TUNE ][ IPE F1 EVOLUTION ][ VORSTEINER TRUNK LID ][ SPLITTERS ][ ARKYM DIFFUSER ][ VOLKS TE-37 SL][ RD SPRINGS ][ OSS HEADLIGHTS ]
e92 M3 is offline   United_States
      08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
1MOREMOD

yep at first i wasnt a fan but it has grown on me and now i like what its turned out like. 6-8k really move quick too. with my tune in place im hoping that gets even more pronounced.

08-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
Tim B.
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Just a little update. Drove my car last night to meet up with a few friends and had them listen as I took off. Not warm so short shift at 4000 or so and they both said it sounded really good. At least I know it doesn't sound like a coffee canned civic. Also my evolve cable came and was part of a batch that was bad but paul was great and will be getting a second tune however I want for free as well as parts discount. Great service.

"Bad batch"? Can you elaborate? This is the first i'm hearing of a bad batch........is this why they've been on backorder for over a month now??
      08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
tonymac1
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 MR E92 ZCP

Quote:
not sure i feel any gains but i havent had a real chance to get after it too hard. i was entering the freeway in 3rd at about 60, so about 4000 rpms and stood on it until it felt like turbos kicked in at 6500. felt like it pulled harder in that upper rpm range but hard to decifer the extra noise which tricks you into thinking its faster and my actual butt dyno. did get the dreaded cel on the way home surprise. also got a weird resonance or something in an uphill section going 2950 rpms or so and sounded pretty bad like civic coffee can bad?
Hi, does the installation require welding or cutting? CEL?
      08-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #32
1MOREMOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
"Bad batch"? Can you elaborate? This is the first i'm hearing of a bad batch........is this why they've been on backorder for over a month now??
they had some of the cables that were apparently wired incorrectly so couldnt read the ecu file. got my new one last night and did the download and all is good. i just called paul directly and he had no problem getting me allocated a unit.

08-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
1MOREMOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Hi, does the installation require welding or cutting? CEL?
no welding or cutting. just direct bolt on. takes couple hours to get it in perfect but not too bad. yes without primary cats you get an increased emissions cel that has to be cleared up with either a tune or r delete from akra. i chose the evolve tune and will update when final product is done.

08-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #34
noty21
Private

Drives: M3 E90 Space Gray/Red DCT

Quote:
no welding or cutting. just direct bolt on. takes couple hours to get it in perfect but not too bad. yes without primary cats you get an increased emissions cel that has to be cleared up with either a tune or r delete from akra. i chose the evolve tune and will update when final product is done.
wow, 2 hours to do the install?? not bad..

doing a similar setup in a couple week. did you lift all 4 wheels off the ground?

looking to hear more with the tune when you get it installed.
      08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
1MOREMOD

yeah it was actually more than 2 hours sorry my bad. took me 4 but not of continuous work. wasnt hard just certain things were a pain. yes i just jacked it up as high as i could go but would prefer to use a lift next time as space is still limited and crawling around on the floor for half the day isnt too much fun.

08-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #36
tonymac1
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 MR E92 ZCP

Quote:
Is there any other tuning that will get rid of the CEL? for example Dinan?
      08-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #37
noty21
Private

Quote:
yeah it was actually more than 2 hours sorry my bad. took me 4 but not of continuous work. wasnt hard just certain things were a pain. yes i just jacked it up as high as i could go but would prefer to use a lift next time as space is still limited and crawling around on the floor for half the day isnt too much fun.
Can you elaborate on the "certain thing were a pain" part of the install?? Thanks in advance! Get your evolve tune back yet??
      08-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #38
1MOREMOD

Got my tune back but haven't done the install yet. Getting at the front header mount bolts was an issue. Didn't know I needed to drop the front skid plate but once that was done it went okay. Also getting the entire stock system out while being under the car was fun. I ended up with it laying ontop of me. Most of my issues were space related as in I didn't have enough to be comfortable with just jack stands.

08-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #39
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Quote:
Got my tune back but haven't done the install yet. Getting at the front header mount bolts was an issue. Didn't know I needed to drop the front skid plate but once that was done it went okay. Also getting the entire stock system out while being under the car was fun. I ended up with it laying ontop of me. Most of my issues were space related as in I didn't have enough to be comfortable with just jack stands.
Yah - swapping any full exhaust on stands is a bitch IMHO.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
      08-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #40
noty21
Private

Quote:
Got it! Thanks for the info!!
      08-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #41
1MOREMOD

played around with a boxster on the way home today. rolled into the throttle from 4000 rpms and was off and on it cause pushing this guy up the freeway. never shifted. saw him go for it with a puff of exhaust and rear end squat but no luck for him.

08-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #42
1MOREMOD

Unhappy

just started my evolve tune and didnt go so well hopefully my ecu is okay. had to roll the coding back to 140E so started that and as soon as i did car gave me all kinds of warnings for dsc, edc you name it. thought well maybe its fixing those things as it goes. gets to 100% on the download and gives me an error. now car wont start just dead in the water, and its the middle of the night in the uk where sal and paul are at to help out. hopefully its an easy fix.

08-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #43
gthal
Colonel

Drives: C63 coupe

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
just started my evolve tune and didnt go so well hopefully my ecu is okay. had to roll the coding back to 140E so started that and as soon as i did car gave me all kinds of warnings for dsc, edc you name it. thought well maybe its fixing those things as it goes. gets to 100% on the download and gives me an error. now car wont start just dead in the water, and its the middle of the night in the uk where sal and paul are at to help out. hopefully its an easy fix.
That just sucks... this type of issue and warranty issues are what is scaring me and holding me back from getting the ESS or Evolve tune. Hope they resolve this for you quickly.
gthal is offline   Canada
      08-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #44
1MOREMOD

so do i. I am a little freaked out now.