BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #45
M3Power55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3 alpine White

thanks guys for all your inputi appratie it................i just realy want to get that kerssig exhuast sound......but not pay 6000 for that exhuast,,,lol i know its sounds crazy but i hope i can find sometin close.
      07-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #46
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power55 View Post
thanks guys for all your inputi appratie it................i just realy want to get that kerssig exhuast sound......but not pay 6000 for that exhuast,,,lol i know its sounds crazy but i hope i can find sometin close.
Just drive around with an iPad and play the Youtube videos as you drive. Voila! think of how much gas you'll save!

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
      07-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #47
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
just run some straight pipes
      07-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #48
Andrew_K_AZ
Secret Racer

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (AW/BLK)

After researching extensively, including real-life listening/driving cars with various exhausts, here is why I think people should buy the BMW Performance Exhaust:
  • It doesn't have the startup/idle/low-rpm cruising loud bassy noise that all aftermarkets have to varying degrees (The AE, Akra, Eissenman, etc. are all notorious for this)
  • It doesn't have any cabin drone at any RPM, again like all aftermarket exhausts have to varying degrees - especially at low-RPMs
  • It gets louder as you go higher in RPMs and excels above 4,500 RPM - most aftermarket exhausts out there seem to do the opposite
  • It doesn't drown or attempt to change the natural sound of the BMW M V8, rather it complements/amplifies it
  • It is the least "aftermarket" sounding of all the options out there

So, if the above are high in your criteria - then there is no question or option.

If these are not at the top of your list, then look elsewhere.
2008 E92 M3, Alpine White & Black Extended Leather, 6MT with all options. Slightly Moded: BMW M Performance Exhaust, Rear LCI Taillight Retrofit, Angel iBrights, MGP Aluminum Caliper Covers, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers (15mm F and 12.5mm R) with +1 tires, Aluminum Pedals, Black Gloss Front and Hood Grills, Alpine White Side Grills and front reflectors, Active Autowerke Green Performance Filter.
Andrew_K_AZ is offline   United_States
      07-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #49
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_K_AZ View Post
After researching extensively, including real-life listening/driving cars with various exhausts, here is why I think people should buy the BMW Performance Exhaust:
  • It doesn't have the startup/idle/low-rpm cruising loud bassy noise that all aftermarkets have to varying degrees (The AE, Akra, Eissenman, etc. are all notorious for this)
  • It doesn't have any cabin drone at any RPM, again like all aftermarket exhausts have to varying degrees - especially at low-RPMs
  • It gets louder as you go higher in RPMs and excels above 4,500 RPM - most aftermarket exhausts out there seem to do the opposite
  • It doesn't drown or attempt to change the natural sound of the BMW M V8, rather it complements/amplifies it
  • It is the least "aftermarket" sounding of all the options out there

So, if the above are high in your criteria - then there is no question or option.

If these are not at the top of your list, then look elsewhere.
Excellent post! I agree 100%

The only negative is the issue with the paint inside the tips. It shouldn't be there and at least is should be high temp paint. Also folks can knock the looks a bit and of course the cost. But the fact it is Iconnel should factor into the price equation.

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order - 10/28 PCD
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
      07-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #50
spdy330
Major General

Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
I noticed mine started to peel around 200 miles. The car has a little over 800 miles and here is what the tips look like currently. Personally it does not bother me that much but I will eventually assist in the removal of the paint at some point. If there is anyone local that has removed it from theirs and wants to help out a fellow forum member let me know.
Attached Images

07-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Run, don't walk to your local home improvement store to get some paint remover to finish those things off.

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order - 10/28 PCD
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
      07-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #52
spdy330
Major General

Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
That is funny. It really does not bother me that much. I figure another 800 miles it will mostly be gone anyhow. Now if there is someone local that has left over paint remover that wants to help out I will do it sooner.

I actually went to home depot the other day for the paint stripper however the can was way too big for what I needed. I would use it one time and then this stuff would just take up space in my garage and you can not just throw it away in the trash.

If I can find a small can then maybe I will do it early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Run, don't walk to your local home improvement store to get some paint remover to finish those things off.
      07-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #53
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.

Drives: 2008 GT2... leaving soon.

anyone running the MP exhaust with HFC/x-pipe configuration?
curious about the loudness and the sound/rasp.

i'm running gintani hfc w/ two resonators, and akra rear. i do like the sound, and it didnt get me in trouble at laguna for being too loud, but there is part of me that would like a little more sound- especially up in the rev range.

any comments to that?
      07-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #54
LateBraking
Brigadier General

Drives: Reliable Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
That is funny. It really does not bother me that much. I figure another 800 miles it will mostly be gone anyhow. Now if there is someone local that has left over paint remover that wants to help out I will do it sooner.

I actually went to home depot the other day for the paint stripper however the can was way too big for what I needed. I would use it one time and then this stuff would just take up space in my garage and you can not just throw it away in the trash.

Eric, I bet you some brake cleaner would easily take that off. That crap looks less durable than Plastidip, and plastidip gets annihilated by brake cleaner.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
      07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #55
bkwon327
Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Space Gray M3 DTC ZPC

Quote:
Hey guys thinking of which exhuast to get? I was wonder if anyone in socal has the M exhaust maybe we can meet up so I can hear it.... if they would be up for it? And if there happy with it?
So Cali OC area here and I love mine. Has such unique character to it.
bkwon327 is offline   United_States
      07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #56
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

You can remove it without paint remover. I used a soft wire brush attachment on my dremel after trying paint remover w/o a lot of success. A simple soft wire brush would finish what you've got left there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post

Denk is offline   United_States
      07-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #57
WERKE
President Directeur General

Drives: E92 M3

Without a doubt, the best designed system (and the most oriented to the gain in performance) is without a doubt the Akra. I heard more than once and unmistakably, the sound is way better than the original system: not too strong, not too big idiotic V8, hi-pitch slightly. However, if the goal is not the gain in performance (it's just a cat-back) but the SOUND, then there is not much equivalent to the race version of Remus: just loud enough, very evocative at low RPM and very hi-pitch when you mash the throttle. Seriously, I've never understood why everyone here spoke only of other systems. For the price, there is no doubt possible.

p.s. If you want sound and performance, keep the Remus, remove catalysts and completes with SOSI X-pipe. It's LOUD, slightly drone at 2500rpm but who's care, it's an m3 not a Camry.
      07-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #58
J08M3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
Without a doubt, the best designed system (and the most oriented to the gain in performance) is without a doubt the Akra.
According to who???

There are many combinations of catless systems that give great performance and sound.
      07-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S

Quote:
Without a doubt, the best designed system (and the most oriented to the gain in performance) is without a doubt the Akra..

So, I like the Akrapovic. But, if you look at it carefully, it uses smaller than stock piping. While it is much smoother and does prove to make power, I'm willing to bed at elevated power levels, possibly even before supercharging, there are other exhausts that will make more power.

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
      07-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #60
WERKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
According to who???

Me!

There are many combinations of catless systems that give great performance and sound.
I have a full Akra system in my garage ... I removed because I could not forget the sound of Remus, despite the fact that I feel that the Akra gives me some extra HP. Maybe one day I put it back on my M3, but in the meantime I used as a decoration on the ceiling of my garage.
      07-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #61
J08M3
Major General

Quote:
I have a full Akra system in my garage ... I removed because I could not forget the sound of Remus, despite the fact that I feel that the Akra gives me some extra HP. Maybe one day I put it back on my M3, but in the meantime I used as a decoration on the ceiling of my garage.
Oh according to you. I guess then it must be so
      07-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #62
WERKE

Quote:
Oh according to you. I guess then it must be so
Thank you sir; so if you have some experiences to share with us about the two systems, feel free to share it.
      07-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #63
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
not too big idiotic V8
Anyone who would say this ^ doesn't get it.

Maybe you'd prefer the sound of a Briggs & Stratton?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
      07-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #64
J08M3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Anyone who would say this ^ doesn't get it.

Maybe you'd prefer the sound of a Briggs & Stratton?
      07-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #65
WERKE

Quote:
The guys from New York are always right, of course;discussion unnecessary.
      08-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #66
L4ces
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
damn, you're still looking at exhausts?...
Still looking dammit...

Back to the drawing board. Trying to get a sense of the Innotech volume.
But the tips on the Remus looks so beautiful... time for youtube.
L4ces is offline   United_States