BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #23
das144
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 997.2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
A stretch VW beetle with different badges lol
I take it you are not a porsche fan
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
36
Rep
2,885
Posts

Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
I take it you are not a porsche fan
I actually am I was just joking thats what my father always says about the carrera...One of my dream cars is a gt3 in that bright green that it comes in
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #25
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
Kayani_1's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,609
Posts

Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

New body style......

Porsche's have been stuck in the same body style for decades and I doubt the new body style will be much different. If you get a better deal now then jump on it. If I was in your place I would just keep the M3 or go with more reasonably priced Boxter S & its inherently better mid-engine layout.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"COBB tune, RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust, VRSF Downpipes, SSQV BOV and ECS chargepipe, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, M3 upper and lower front control arms, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 07-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #26
das144
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 997.2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
New body style......

Porsche's have been stuck in the same body style for decades and I doubt the new body style will be much different. If you get a better deal now then jump on it. If I was in your place I would just keep the M3 or go with more reasonably priced Boxter S & its inherently better mid-engine layout.
Thats what is nice about the 911, it changes but stays true to form.
Its classic. I understand not everyone is a fan, but I appreciate that.
Personally I see a HUGE difference between a 993 a 996 and a 997. Im sure the 991 will be the same type of change. A boxtser- probably not, not a fan.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #27
das144
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 997.2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
Thats what is nice about the 911, it changes but stays true to form.
Its classic. I understand not everyone is a fan, but I appreciate that.
Personally I see a HUGE difference between a 993 a 996 and a 997. Im sure the 991 will be the same type of change. A boxtser- probably not, not a fan.
Let me add that I am a HUGE fan of my M3. Its just as fun as the 997.2 S I had. Im just looking to make a change and really like the GTS and some of the options. This thead is NOT intended to get into M3 vs...
I was just looking for some thoughts on the C4 GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
Mhirsch
Private
United_States
0
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2010 M5 - 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Funny you started this thread. I am also looking at making a change but more towards the 911 S with PDK.

I would be trading in my M3 any thoughts or suggestions?

Should I look at the GTS?
__________________
2010 E60 M5 - BSM, Loaded
2011.5 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT, ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #29
das144
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 997.2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhirsch View Post
Funny you started this thread. I am also looking at making a change but more towards the 911 S with PDK.

I would be trading in my M3 any thoughts or suggestions?

Should I look at the GTS?
My advice would be dont get the PDK- get the manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
bimM3r4ver
Private
1
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 2008 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los angeles

iTrader: (0)

pretty sick car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #31
1cleanm3
Brigadier General
1cleanm3's Avatar
Armenia
140
Rep
3,610
Posts

Drives: ///E92M3*RR Sport*Prius
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the 818

iTrader: (7)

cool car but in my opinion way over priced.
__________________
HRE + CHALLENGE + KW V3 + GINTANI + ARKYM + YOKOHAMA AD08
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #32
das144
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 997.2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
cool car but in my opinion way over priced.
so turbo and GT3 worth 120k plus, but not the GTS?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 5|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
14,163
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

i think the gts is worth a look
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #34
crackberry
Major
crackberry's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,003
Posts

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: southern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Yup.

Base models and S models will both be over 100 hp per liter.

3.4 will be ~350 hp
3.8 will should be the gts 408 hp
I heard 400hp flat, which is lame. That is less than a 5% bump in hp. I am just going to wait for the 991 to come out. Then, I'll make my move if I don't already land in an Aston before.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #35
duk
///M
United_States
44
Rep
2,996
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

991 will of course have more hp upgrades with midlife refresh, just like the 997

i bet 400hp is underrated a bit too
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #36
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhirsch View Post
Funny you started this thread. I am also looking at making a change but more towards the 911 S with PDK.

I would be trading in my M3 any thoughts or suggestions?

Should I look at the GTS?
I just bought a 2009 pdk 911s and it's blisteringly fast and I've grown to like it more than the m3, however you may miss the screaming high revving v8 in the m.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #37
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
125
Rep
10,557
Posts

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
me: Carrera S, manual, and non PCCB brakes; It is going to be a weekend worrier, and no tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #38
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
me: Carrera S, manual, and non PCCB brakes; It is going to be a weekend worrier, and no tracks.
I would have bought a manual if I didn't have to deal with la traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #39
crackberry
Major
crackberry's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,003
Posts

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: southern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I would have bought a manual if I didn't have to deal with la traffic.
OMG! I cannot imagine owning a mt with LA traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #40
1cleanm3
Brigadier General
1cleanm3's Avatar
Armenia
140
Rep
3,610
Posts

Drives: ///E92M3*RR Sport*Prius
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the 818

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
so turbo and GT3 worth 120k plus, but not the GTS?
If it were my money I would spend a little more and get a used gt3rs, I know a 2010 gt3 can be found for 110. Just my 2 cents. My friend has a 125k gts convertible and I always wonder why he didnt spend a little more and get the turbo. Ive been in a 911 gts and honestly I think its overpriced like I said.
__________________
HRE + CHALLENGE + KW V3 + GINTANI + ARKYM + YOKOHAMA AD08
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #41
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
125
Rep
10,557
Posts

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I would have bought a manual if I didn't have to deal with la traffic.
I dealt with it when I had my 'ol 95 S/C Dinan M3, and i can deal with it again. Beside, I had an AC Schnitzer short shift which made driving more pleasurable.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #42
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
You have to remember though, 400 hp on a 911 is like 440 hp on any other car.
Think about this, the current Carrera S (~3300 lbs and 385 hp) is only 2 seconds slower around the Ring than the best M3, the M3 GTS (~3300 lbs and 440hp). That alone should tell you how capable it is with 'only' 385 hp.
The current carrera S will outrun any car within about 60-75 hp of it.



Exaclty. There's no power like Porsche power.
Funny you should say that. My carrera s pdk ran neck and neck with my buddy's c6 vette with 430 hp and his car is convertible. From 90mph-130mph and was dead even. I thought i would easily pull on him but that wasn't the case. Those vettes are very fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #43
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
You have to remember though, 400 hp on a 911 is like 440 hp on any other car.
Think about this, the current Carrera S (~3300 lbs and 385 hp) is only 2 seconds slower around the Ring than the best M3, the M3 GTS (~3300 lbs and 440hp). That alone should tell you how capable it is with 'only' 385 hp.
The current carrera S will outrun any car within about 60-75 hp of it.



Exaclty. There's no power like Porsche power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
I dealt with it when I had my 'ol 95 S/C Dinan M3, and i can deal with it again. Beside, I had an AC Schnitzer short shift which made driving more pleasurable.

I've owned and driven 6 different cars with manual transmissions In a span of 15 years. All in la. Give it time you will eventually get fed up too.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #44
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
125
Rep
10,557
Posts

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I've owned and driven 6 different cars with manual transmissions In a span of 15 years. All in la. Give it time you will eventually get fed up too.
been driving manual since 92~19 years; except my current jetta: had to chicken out
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST