BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #45
amglol
Private First Class
 
amglol's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Don't you realize that identifying those categories is subjective?

Maybe there are things that make the M3 better, maybe there aren't. Depends on the individual, which is why it is 100% subjective. I don't care about fuel economy and besides, if I drove a 335 like I drive my M3, the difference would be so minimal anyway. I had a budget to purchase the car, but I don't care about any of the other items you mentioned.
Bingo.

The definition of what makes a superior daily driver is completely subjective, because the category selection is completely subjective.

The M3 is the perfect daily driver for me because I can afford the payment, the gas, and the maintenance. In every category that is important to me, it trumps any other 3 series.

If I cared about gas prices, it'd be a different story, but I don't. My preference leans towards performance and my wallet supports that preference. End of story.
__________________
/// E90 M3 :: Alpine White :: Novillo Black / Carbon Leather :: Competition :: Premium :: Convenience :: MDCT :: EPS
amglol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #46
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,708
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Driving both cars the same way, my M3 averages 15.5 mpg and my 135i (was my previous daily driver) averaged 17.5. Not much of a difference. Add in the N54 fuel pump failure rate and I'd say the M3 is much more reliable. The M3 seats are much more comfortable than the 335i as well.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #47
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,708
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Also got the E90 M3 as the 335 is E92. Again, more practical.
It's funny you say that because I feel my E92 M3 is more practical than my E90 335i since the rear seats fold down. Whenever I need to make trips to Ikea or Home Depot, I take the M3 for it's carrying space.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #48
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,607
iTrader: (5)

oh why why
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #49
John Tanglewood
Colonel
 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' M3 Coupe AW/FR (for sale)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 2,058
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
This thread amazes me.

I would like to know what makes the M3 a better "daily driver" than a 335i, subjective categories aside. Talking about things that can actually be measured, like price, fuel economy, brake repair price, tire size, extended warranty price, etc.
My god man just GIVE IT A REST!

You're not going to win, whether by exercising your 'higher knowledge' of the english language or coming up with any reason why the M3 isn't a better daily driver. Putting people down because they're from Texas also makes you look like a little bit of a douche.

Everyone has their own interpretation of why their personal car is a better daily driver for them. Things you are mentioning that do not make the M3 a good daily driver such as costs to repair, advanced equipment on the car, etc. probably is not that big a deal to the average M3 owner. In fact you can't even really classify the 'average' M3 owner's opinions about such things, because they are personal thoughts and considerations.

The fact that everyone has - and is entitled - to their own opinion on this matter makes any argument about subjectivity just sound stupid. And I guess I just added to the stupid, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Thumbs down to you
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
John Tanglewood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #50
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
My god man just GIVE IT A REST!

The fact that everyone has - and is entitled - to their own opinion on this matter makes any argument about subjectivity just sound stupid. And I guess I just added to the stupid, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Thumbs down to you


So from what I'm gathering is that the definition of
Sports Car
Daily Driver
Beater Car
Station Wagon
Truck
Off-Road Car
Exotic

These are all subjective... , Sounds like nobody can have a rational discussion about anything because defnitions are never solidified. Words can mean anything...

Thumbs down, means thumbs up to me.

I'm done with this thread, I'm going to drive my exotic M3 out of this thread.

Last edited by Nine; 07-14-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #51
John Tanglewood
Colonel
 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' M3 Coupe AW/FR (for sale)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 2,058
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post


So from what I'm gathering is that the definition of
Sports Car
Daily Driver
Beater Car
Station Wagon
Truck
Off-Road Car
Exotic

These are all subjective... , .
The lines are blurred, as each person you speak to will have a different opinion. There may be points that everyone agrees on, but don't think for a second that your opinion is gospel. So roll your eyes all you want, and thanks for reiterating what I stated previously.
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
John Tanglewood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #52
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
It's funny you say that because I feel my E92 M3 is more practical than my E90 335i since the rear seats fold down. Whenever I need to make trips to Ikea or Home Depot, I take the M3 for it's carrying space.
I could see that, I never folded them down. Maybe its just accesibility. Or, wait for it.........Its my opinion. I think those are allowed, and as long as opinions arent presented as fact the whole thing seems to move along (not intended for you RadiantM3). Nice E92 by the way. Just got my E90, really enjoying it. Perfect DD in my opnion (I had to).
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #53
amglol
Private First Class
 
amglol's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post


So from what I'm gathering is that the definition of
Sports Car
Daily Driver
Beater Car
Station Wagon
Truck
Off-Road Car
Exotic

These are all subjective... , Sounds like nobody can have a rational discussion about anything because defnitions are never solidified. Words can mean anything...

Thumbs down, means thumbs up to me.

I'm done with this thread, I'm going to drive my exotic M3 out of this thread.
Sports car - Very ambiguous. This certainly could be up for discussion (and has been around the world for some time).
Daily driver - Car that is driven daily. Whether one is better than another depends on the driver.
Beater car - Also ambiguous. In my household, my wife's 2010 Ford Fusion is the beater. It only gets driving duty when going out of our city b/c we get free gas. I'd doubt that most people would consider it a beater, but that's its fate in my house.
Station Wagon - I'm not sure many people would argue about what is and is not a station wagon. Very clear criteria in this definition.
Truck - See station wagon.
Off Road Car - Who even uses this term?
Exotic - Not super clear definition, but I'm sure even all the car mags could agree on a general description. We're certainly not going to throw my Fusion into the mix, but no one is denying Ferrari a spot at the table, either.

You = fail.
__________________
/// E90 M3 :: Alpine White :: Novillo Black / Carbon Leather :: Competition :: Premium :: Convenience :: MDCT :: EPS
amglol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #54
CU2MRO
Dinan uncorked M3
 
Drives: E92-Competition, Carbon Fiber,
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

335is is one of the most reliable engines-according to Roundel- that BMW has ever built. Having said that and test driven a loaded 335is and a regular M3 E92 coupe my entire 'being' was drawn to the 2011 E92 M3 and I ordered mine with the competition pack., enhanced sound-800 watts!!- the premium pack 2, convenience pack, iPod/iPhone hook up, carbon fiber roof, M double clutch transmission, mineral white w/black leather and the black wood trim- and now the Dinan upgrades- everyone just loves the look, exhaust note, interior sound system, and those sweet Michelin Pilot Sports that give you almost that feeling of riding on rails like a Porsche does- my vote is obviously the 2011 M3 E92 coupe! if not '11, then the 335is as my neighbor loves hers. This is the last year of the fully aspirated scaled down Formula 1 engine for the M3- a few years from now it'll be turbo'd like the 335is but probably off the charts HP/Torque wise. M3's are just a blast to drive and dive into curves without braking as those Michelin Pilot Sports are very sticky and not meant for drifting. M3 M3 M3- best wishes in your decision!
CU2MRO is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #55
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. And I await a deconstruction of what I mean by "enjoyed".
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #56
warzilla
Lieutenant
 
warzilla's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 456
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU2MRO View Post
335is is one of the most reliable engines-according to Roundel- that BMW has ever built.
Did Roundel really write that? I find that really hard to believe since:

- the N54 engine has a big and well known issue with the HPFP
- the N54 in the 335is has only been around for what - 18 months?

If its true, can you scan and post the article? Just curious to read that write up myself.
warzilla is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #57
stefan
Colonel
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 2,138
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
335is / M3; honestly no immediately visible real-world performance difference. The true appreciable difference lies in the feeling each car conveys. You may not get that special feeling from an M3 (in which case, buy the 335is). But you might be blown away by the M3 despite the inflated cost.

It really comes down to driving both and the choice will be so immediately apparent.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
stefan is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #58
CAPSGOD
Major
 
Drives: Diesel Son
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: #yolo

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
it's the truth bro.

I like to have fun in any car I set my ass in. Even if it's a ride down to the post office. If you don't, that's your problem.
So any new BMW other than an ///M is a boring car for someone without balls?
CAPSGOD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #59
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (0)

Out of the group of BMW friends I hang with on occasion. 3 of them have switched to M3's from their 335i's. All three of them use to talk sh*t about the M3. Funny when a car gets towards the end of it's life cycle and is a little cheaper to lease. All of sudden they think it is better.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #60
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,607
iTrader: (5)

you got it.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #61
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. And I await a deconstruction of what I mean by "enjoyed".
Full of awesome. I LOL-ed.
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #62
Scoobe
Lieutenant
 
Scoobe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [5.00]
Loved this thread

I want to see more so I'm throwing a grenade.

Daily driver = a car you want to drive every day.

The reasons why you want to drive that car will change based on your criteria for "wants". Some want economy, some want comfort, some what optional performance, some just want to enjoy the drive.

In most cases, people spend up to 2 hours a day in their car. Assuming you are awake for 16 hours a day, thats about 12.5% of your waking day. I personally prefer the latter catagory as my priority in "enjoy the drive". What would bring me personally greater enjoyment driving everyday? The M3. So in my personal opinion based on my priority criteria shadowed by the fact that life is very short, I want to enjoy my drive every day and the M3 is superior to the 335 in that case. Thus, I find the M3 the better daily driver.

Now that I've thrown out that grenade, I await further entertainment.
__________________
08 GT500 convertible red package (Black w/ Red stripes) /Ford Racing Exhaust /Cold Air Induction 560hp
10 Porsche Cayenne GTS Black w/ Black Wheels 408hp
11 M3 Silverstone w/ Silver Novillo Leather /Tech /Premium /19" /DCT /Ipod 414hp
Scoobe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #63
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
Loved this thread

I want to see more so I'm throwing a grenade.

Daily driver = a car you want to drive every day.

The reasons why you want to drive that car will change based on your criteria for "wants". Some want economy, some want comfort, some what optional performance, some just want to enjoy the drive.

In most cases, people spend up to 2 hours a day in their car. Assuming you are awake for 16 hours a day, thats about 12.5% of your waking day. I personally prefer the latter catagory as my priority in "enjoy the drive". What would bring me personally greater enjoyment driving everyday? The M3. So in my personal opinion based on my priority criteria shadowed by the fact that life is very short, I want to enjoy my drive every day and the M3 is superior to the 335 in that case. Thus, I find the M3 the better daily driver.

Now that I've thrown out that grenade, I await further entertainment.
Nope, all wrong. Fail fail fail. I really agree with you but we both know thats completely outside the spirit of this thread. Your opinion is just WRONG!! My opinion on the other hand.....
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #64
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

this thread is chaos, just chaos.


mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #65
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,219
iTrader: (0)

As I've stated before, blue is sooo much better than red
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #66
bholloway
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hell

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
No, it is not subjective. You are complete moron if you think an M3 is a better daily driver. Seriously.
I don't know if you would be a complete moron to think that, but the 335 is definitely a better DD than an M3 and that is a fact.

Now before people start chiming in on the subjectivity of what a good daily driver is lets just calm down and think about what we want in an everyday car. For me and probably most other people, it would be something that's comfortable, relatively cheap, spacious, good gas mileage, and good in bad weather. Essentially, its something that can handle the rigors of driving single day and can handle all the things life has to throw at us.

Sure everyone has different lifestyles and if you don't mind lower gas mileage, don't mind your 70k car getting bear up, and want a slightly faster car the M3 is better and more fun. But lets say I was super rich and could drive any car I wanted. I might choose to drive a 458 italia everyday to work. It might be better for me, but objectively it isn't a better DD than lets say a 335i. It might be my preference, which is subjective, but if you ask any reasonable person, which car is better to drive everyday, the 335i would win out.
bholloway is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST