BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
amglol
Private First Class
 
amglol's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
No, it is not subjective. You are complete moron if you think an M3 is a better daily driver. Seriously.
How about a lesson on the definition of subjective?

sub·jec·tive   
[suhb-jek-tiv]
–adjective
1.
existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought ( opposed to objective).
2.
pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
3.
placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

And for you specifically:

id·i·ot   
[id-ee-uht]
–noun
1.
an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2.
Psychology . a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.
__________________
/// E90 M3 :: Alpine White :: Novillo Black / Carbon Leather :: Competition :: Premium :: Convenience :: MDCT :: EPS
amglol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

I think that the only people qualified to answer are those that have owned/own both. I have, and a MY09.535 so here's my take on it.. But keep in mind, I don't care about the cost of gas, tires, insurance, etc...

The 535i is the best daily driver. It's comfy, fast and quiet. In my mind the new M5 would be even a better daily driver than the 535i because, well, it's simply better.

The m3 is a better car for everything, daily driving included than the 335.

My rationale for this is really easy to understand - I like to smile when I drive daily and the M3 produces bigger smiles on my face IF, I choose to drive in a small car for a daily driver.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post
How about a lesson on the definition of subjective?

sub·jec·tive   
[suhb-jek-tiv]
–adjective
1.
existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought ( opposed to objective).
2.
pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
3.
placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

And for you specifically:

id·i·ot   
[id-ee-uht]
–noun
1.
an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2.
Psychology . a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

Where we are about to go, you don't have the IQ to follow. So I'd start by suggesting you stop trying now before you discover you not are subjectively smart.

The lesson is really in definitions, not in interpretation. Judging by your post, you know not the difference.

What I was hoping for was a lesson and or a definition for the term "daily driver"

I can copy paste the definition of a troll, not sure that would get us anywhere.

Really the point is, anyone and I mean any rational person who understand what the definition of a daily driver is, will know that a 335i suits the purpose MUCH more than an M3.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
Apolonios
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

I believe I understand what you’re saying and while I do agree that a 335i is a better daily driver than the M, the definition of “daily driver” is not a fixed one.

It’s a made up term by folk on the net and while most people will have similar definitions they are not going to be equal. Besides daily driver is a collection of qualities (comfort, speed, economy etc..) and how much importance each person assigns to those qualities is subjective.

So unless everyone uses the same definition and criteria, which car is the better daily driver is subjective.
Apolonios is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
I believe I understand what you’re saying and while I do agree that a 335i is a better daily driver than the M, the definition of “daily driver” is not a fixed one.

So unless everyone uses the same definition and criteria, which car is the better daily driver is subjective.
Ok, but the general idea is practicality, efficiency and utility. When two cars are seperated by 20-30,000 dollars, one with slotted rotors, 420hp, etc and the purpose is to get from point A to point B...I don't think there is an arguement.

What do we prefer to drive, what makes us happiest to drive, what do WANT to drive on a daily basis, what can we drive on a daily basis...these are all questions we can answer subjectively. Can the M3 make a great daily driver, oh hells yea- that isn't the point.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Where we are about to go, you don't have the IQ to follow. So I'd start by suggesting you stop trying now before you discover you not are subjectively smart.

The lesson is really in definitions, not in interpretation. Judging by your post, you know not the difference.

What I was hoping for was a lesson and or a definition for the term "daily driver"

I can copy paste the definition of a troll, not sure that would get us anywhere.
.

I love these kinds of posts, they always make me laugh!! Those who know not, the proper order of words, and punctuation, should not criticize: it makes the criticizer sound like an idiot. See above for the definition of idiot...
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
I love these kinds of posts, they always make me laugh!! Those who know not, the proper order of words, and punctuation, should not criticize: it makes the criticizer sound like an idiot. See above for the definition of idiot...
You have a problem with "Know not", really? and you are from Texas?

Ever hear the saying "forgive them for they know not what they do" ???

RE: idiot.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #30
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

Has it occurred to anyone that you are arguing about subjectivity?
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #31
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that you are arguing about subjectivity?
Thank god someone got it.. Bravo!
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #32
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
You have a problem with "Know not", really? and you are from Texas?

Ever hear the saying "forgive them for they know not what they do" ???

RE: idiot.
I don't have a problem with "Know not" or "know not" or "know not,". However, it's usage is questionable. It's that questionable usage when criticizing someone else's grasp of the english language which I find so entertaining. It's a car forum, not an english class; so it makes me laugh..

I am not from from Texas, it just happens to be where I am hanging my hat these days.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #33
amglol
Private First Class
 
amglol's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Where we are about to go, you don't have the IQ to follow. So I'd start by suggesting you stop trying now before you discover you not are subjectively smart.

The lesson is really in definitions, not in interpretation. Judging by your post, you know not the difference.

What I was hoping for was a lesson and or a definition for the term "daily driver"

I can copy paste the definition of a troll, not sure that would get us anywhere.

Really the point is, anyone and I mean any rational person who understand what the definition of a daily driver is, will know that a 335i suits the purpose MUCH more than an M3.
In your subjective opinion, child.
__________________
/// E90 M3 :: Alpine White :: Novillo Black / Carbon Leather :: Competition :: Premium :: Convenience :: MDCT :: EPS
amglol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #34
amglol
Private First Class
 
amglol's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that you are arguing about subjectivity?
There's really no argument, just one asshat who wants to play a semantics game he's not equipped to win...
__________________
/// E90 M3 :: Alpine White :: Novillo Black / Carbon Leather :: Competition :: Premium :: Convenience :: MDCT :: EPS
amglol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #35
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amglol View Post
There's really no argument, just one asshat who wants to play a semantics game he's not equipped to win...
2nd
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #36
IFX
Banned
 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

Posts: 2,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
No, it is not subjective. You are complete moron if you think an M3 is a better daily driver. Seriously.


clearly you don't know the definition of the word subjective.

Good thing someone provided it..
IFX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #37
GnokGnik
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 936
iTrader: (0)

This is why we don't do 335i vs M3 threads.

335i is the better DD/ Tuner DD
M3 is the better performance vehicle

M3 owners that never track/race and use it to carry groceries are:

a) badge whores/show offs (any luxury car owner is a show off, but if you are at this point you are embarassing...as in bald, middle-aged Corvette driver embarassing imo) I suspect a lot of M3 posters belong here. i.e Me driving my 997c2s
b) commute on windy backroads w/o traffic
c) too wealthy to care

335i owners that regularly track are:

a) tuners who mod their car to behave like a much more expensive car...usually spending just as much as they would on a M3...re: 335is as a conservatively BMW tuned 335i.
b) can't afford/justify the M3 (I suspect a lot of 335i posters belong here, inc. me)
c) luxury drag racers


end of story.

Last edited by GnokGnik; 07-13-2011 at 11:48 PM.
GnokGnik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #38
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,723
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
This is why we don't do 335i vs M3 threads.

335i is the better DD/ Tuner DD
M3 is the better performance vehicle

M3 owners that never track/race and use it to carry groceries are:

a) badge whores/show offs (any bmw owner is a show off, but if you are at this point you are embarassing...as in bald, middle-aged Corvette driver embarassing imo) I suspect a lot of M3 posters belong here.
b) commute on windy backroads w/o traffic
c) too wealthy to care

335i owners that regularly track are:

a) tuners who mod their car to behave like a much more expensive car...usually spending just as much as they would on a M3...re: 335is as a conservatively BMW tuned 335i.
b) can't afford the M3 (I suspect a lot of 335i posters belong here, inc. me)
c) drag racers


end of story.
Then there are M3 owners who track their car, regularly drive on back country mountain roads, AND get groceries/drive their kids around. The M3 makes a better daily driver for those guys.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #39
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Watching people try to justify the 335 as a better daily driver never gets old. We just need that idiot footie to come in here now and tell us how annoying it is to have to downshift his DCT to pass people.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #40
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

This thread amazes me.

I would like to know what makes the M3 a better "daily driver" than a 335i, subjective categories aside. Talking about things that can actually be measured, like price, fuel economy, brake repair price, tire size, extended warranty price, etc.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #41
matthewk
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
This thread amazes me.

I would like to know what makes the M3 a better "daily driver" than a 335i, subjective categories aside. Talking about things that can actually be measured, like price, fuel economy, brake repair price, tire size, extended warranty price, etc.
To people that don't care about cost - the M3 is a better daily driver. The whole premise that the 335i is better always goes back to cost in some way.. From my perspective the M3 is a better daily driver than the 335i, AND I HAVE OWNED BOTH!! Disagreements from this point forward should only come from people with the perspective of having owned both.
matthewk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #42
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
This thread amazes me.

I would like to know what makes the M3 a better "daily driver" than a 335i, subjective categories aside. Talking about things that can actually be measured, like price, fuel economy, brake repair price, tire size, extended warranty price, etc.
Don't you realize that identifying those categories is subjective?

Maybe there are things that make the M3 better, maybe there aren't. Depends on the individual, which is why it is 100% subjective. I don't care about fuel economy and besides, if I drove a 335 like I drive my M3, the difference would be so minimal anyway. I had a budget to purchase the car, but I don't care about any of the other items you mentioned.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #43
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
To people that don't care about cost - the M3 is a better daily driver. The whole premise that the 335i is better always goes back to cost in some way..
Well there are those "people" that believe that the m3 has too little torque in comparison. But if someone starts that thread up again I'm going to puke.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #44
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

The difference in MPG so far has been 0 between my 335 (sitting in my driveway) and my M3 (sitting next to it). They both cost me pretty much 0 to maintain to 50k. Only thing I pay for is mods and since there are so many available for the 335 I guess I am better off with the M3. Also got the E90 M3 as the 335 is E92. Again, more practical. If you think about it, the M3 is almost Prius like in its practicality
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST