BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #23
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
who are you kidding about getting a p car? lol if you can't afford the m3 it's all good but please don't insult us by trying to justify the trade - we all know it's bs. have fun with the mini
Grow up dude.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #24
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
I guess i dont understand, good luck with your choice. I had a 2004 Mini S with about 216 HP to the wheels. My car was smaller than the current generation and a better car IMO. I only kept the car for 7 months. The issue I had it was front wheel drive and I put to much HP in the car.
I just sold my 2011 S4 after 3 months for my new zcp M3. So far I am happy with the M3 it was a good choice for me. This car will not see the track. I have owned many P cars, 996 TT, 997S, Box S & reg 00 Box. The Box S or Cayman S would be a good track car and a DD. If I wanted a dedicated track car the only P car for me would be the GT2 or GT3. I had a Z06 for a track car and it was hard to beat and not to costly to up-keep. For what an M3 cost you could have your MINI & a Z06 for your track toy. I can promise you not many cars can keep up with the Z06 on the track for the money. My only complaint with the Z06 is the plastic fisher-price interior.
Z06 is definetly tempting. I will consider it.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #25
mact3333
Captain
 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

I used to have a MCS as a DD too...loved it...MCS as a DD has just as many advantages over the M3 as inferiorities...loved the size, handling, looks, gas mileage, road feel.

But it had the worst seats in history...my back would start hurting after 30 minutes...hope they designed new seats as I had to sell that MCS due to the seats.

MCS as DD and Porsche for weekend/track car would be perfect imho if you could have 2 cars...M3 if almost perfect if you can only have one car...if I had a pure track car for weekends, I would have no need for the M3 as a DD.
mact3333 is offline  
0
      07-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #26
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
 
FASTTOYS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 C7-Z51/14 BMW X1
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA TEXAS

Posts: 229
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I used to have a MCS as a DD too...loved it...MCS as a DD has just as many advantages over the M3 as inferiorities...loved the size, handling, looks, gas mileage, road feel.

But it had the worst seats in history...my back would start hurting after 30 minutes...hope they designed new seats as I had to sell that MCS due to the seats.

MCS as DD and Porsche for weekend/track car would be perfect imho if you could have 2 cars...M3 if almost perfect if you can only have one car...if I had a pure track car for weekends, I would have no need for the M3 as a DD.
Yea I forgot the seats in the first generation Mini S sucked A. I also have a Z4 M coupe I never fell in love with that car like my Z3 M coupe. My z4 M coupe is on Forgestar's website it looked better than the MZ3 but not as fun.
__________________
'07 Z4 M Coupe, all options, Black Sapphire,black leather, painted tinted reflectors & 3rd brake light, tint, AFTER MARKET: S-S moded exhaust Forgestar Wheels F 19x 8.5 & 19x10 on Invo tires more to come
FASTTOYS is offline  
0
      07-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #27
spyderco10
Colonel
 
spyderco10's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

Posts: 2,425
iTrader: (0)

mini is a great car, i had an '03 MCS before I got the M. I still miss it, kinda wish i still kept it. you guys might find this weird, but before the mini i had a 996. and the mini was actually more fun to drive than the porsche. every now and then i think about trading the M for a mini again also.
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
spyderco10 is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #28
Totti
Troll
 
Totti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

*Cough*

__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Totti is offline   Italy
0
      07-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #29
Seattle S65B40
Major
 
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
who are you kidding about getting a p car? lol if you can't afford the m3 it's all good but please don't insult us by trying to justify the trade - we all know it's bs. have fun with the mini
Douche
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Seattle S65B40 is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #30
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (0)

OP: Didn't you know all those facts about the M3 and WA hwy speed limits BEFORE you got your M? I mean the MPG, the redline speeds on 2nd and 3rd gear!! Just wondering!
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #31
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,718
iTrader: (13)

Omg why would you do such a horrible thing
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
      07-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #32
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
OP: Didn't you know all those facts about the M3 and WA hwy speed limits BEFORE you got your M? I mean the MPG, the redline speeds on 2nd and 3rd gear!! Just wondering!
I knew at the back of my head. I didn't think it would be a problem. Also, the other half of the story is that as fast as M3 is in the track, I don't find it rewarding to drive. Again, it doesn't mean it is a bad car, it is just not the car for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
mini is a great car, i had an '03 MCS before I got the M. I still miss it, kinda wish i still kept it. you guys might find this weird, but before the mini i had a 996. and the mini was actually more fun to drive than the porsche. every now and then i think about trading the M for a mini again also.
I think if you have a car with too much power, it becomes less ans less exciting to drive on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
But it had the worst seats in history...my back would start hurting after 30 minutes...hope they designed new seats as I had to sell that MCS due to the seats.

MCS as DD and Porsche for weekend/track car would be perfect imho if you could have 2 cars...M3 if almost perfect if you can only have one car...if I had a pure track car for weekends, I would have no need for the M3 as a DD.
We drove it about 2 hours non-stop, and toward the end, we were getting uncomfortable. It is not a road trip car anyways, I bought it for DD (I've a short commute) and autox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Whatever works for you. But saying you can't really enjoy the S65 engine in daily driving is just weird; I red-line that f@cker pretty much every day, and love it.

Having said that, I absolutely love the Mini Cooper S!

EDIT: In terms of softness... you could've gotten a new suspension for that.
I know it is weird, but I'm serious, we have insane amount of cops willing to write you a ticket for doing 10over... In terms of suspension, yes it would help, but still it is a big and heavy car. Yesterday, I parallel parked the mini, and I was 2 feet away from the curb because I was still thinking the M3
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #33
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 l E90 l AW l PREMIUM l TECH
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Every time I see a dude driving a Mini I think WTF?

The car is ugly at best and only looks somewhat appropriate with a girl driving.

Might as well put a rainbow sticker on your bumper.
__________________
///M 08 l E90 l AW l 6MT l TECH l PREMIUM l 19 220M
I Wanna go Fast! is offline  
0
      07-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #34
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Wanna go Fast! View Post
Every time I see a dude driving a Mini I think WTF?

The car is ugly at best and only looks somewhat appropriate with a girl driving.

Might as well put a rainbow sticker on your bumper.
Looks are personal opinion, isn't it? And your comment about rainbow sticker... what if I was gay? Your comment would look pretty stupid..
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #35
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,309
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
who are you kidding about getting a p car? lol if you can't afford the m3 it's all good but please don't insult us by trying to justify the trade - we all know it's bs. have fun with the mini
Erhan is a purist hence the swap to something that's nimble and fun. Let's be honest- he didn't buy a M3 to pose-the man got to the track as soon as he could to drive the beans of that car. For someone who did the swap from a Z4M to the current M3 the weight is significant enough to notice. I'm getting a practical car which has to do all things well hence my decision to get the E90 M3.

Btw-from what I know about Erhan-he can easily afford the M3-so please do not assume he made the swap due to hardship.

Erhan-you're on the right track.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips

checkmate is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #36
stefan
Colonel
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 2,145
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
I've always liked the Mini's but could never really justify them. I find they are just TOO small to be useful and too expensive for a frugal DD. That said if you can afford it, it's probably a nice way to get to work.

Curious as to why you passed on, say, a GTI. I drove one on multiple occasions and found it to be (flame suit on) one of the most unexplainably fun cars in my experience. More fun than my STi and non-M BMWs without a doubt.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
stefan is offline   Canada
0
      07-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #37
BluSedan6mt
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 Blue Sedan 6mt
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mississippi

Posts: 23
iTrader: (2)

what a terrible thread to wake up to.
BluSedan6mt is offline  
0
      07-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #38
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

My local BMW dealership has a large Mini showroom section. The folks I see roaming around and buying up the Minis tend to be Baby Boomers in t-shirts, shorts and rubber slippers. It's sort of that "empty-nester-with-money-that-doesn't-want-to-show-it-on-their-way-to-Whole-Foods" profile.

Personally, I'm still way too young to be walking around in my pajamas, so I'll be keeping my M3 and continue to disturb the neighbors!
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #39
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
My local BMW dealership has a large Mini showroom section. The folks I see roaming around and buying up the Minis tend to be Baby Boomers in t-shirts, shorts and rubber slippers. It's sort of that "empty-nester-with-money-that-doesn't-want-to-show-it-on-their-way-to-Whole-Foods" profile.

Personally, I'm still way too young to be walking around in my pajamas, so I'll be keeping my M3 and continue to disturb the neighbors!
Yeah see, I never cared about the badge of a car, or the type of people who drive them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Erhan is a purist hence the swap to something that's nimble and fun. Let's be honest- he didn't buy a M3 to pose-the man got to the track as soon as he could to drive the beans of that car. For someone who did the swap from a Z4M to the current M3 the weight is significant enough to notice. I'm getting a practical car which has to do all things well hence my decision to get the E90 M3.

Btw-from what I know about Erhan-he can easily afford the M3-so please do not assume he made the swap due to hardship.

Erhan-you're on the right track.
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Curious as to why you passed on, say, a GTI. I drove one on multiple occasions and found it to be (flame suit on) one of the most unexplainably fun cars in my experience. More fun than my STi and non-M BMWs without a doubt.
GTI would be fun, you're right. My fiance had a VW Rabbit before she got a 350Z, and that car had so many issues, we grew cold to VW brand.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #40
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

So defensive about a beating that he asked for.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #41
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
 
James T. Kirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

Posts: 1,425
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Yeah see, I never cared about the badge of a car, or the type of people who drive them...
That would have been the only argument you would have had going for yourself on getting the Mini.

You'd prefer to argue it from an engineering perspective? Yikes.
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #42
CPB
Second Lieutenant
 
CPB's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Coast

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Wow. Speechless.


Me too! Heck of a trade.
CPB is offline  
0
      07-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #43
Malakas
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 F15 35d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Good post. funny though - I have done the exact opposite. I had a 2010 Camden Cooper S, and a 2002 996 Carrera 4S (weekend/track car) and I have sold both of those for a 2011 E92.




I loved the driving characteristics of the Mini. Very flat through corners, slick gearbox, very suprising acceleration. It is a very fun car. I LOVE my Porsche: incredible grip / steering / engine note. Very reliable. But I firmly believe you should only own things you use, and I hated having the P-car sit in the garage.

Still in the break-in period of my M, but so far I have been very impressed. True, there is more body roll than I would have thought, and the MPG is horrible (my Cooper got 30mpg with the throttle pegged), but the v8 is tremendous, and I love having a human sized trunk.

Anyway - good luck with the Mini. Upgrade to the Cooper Works packages and that little thing will really scream!
Malakas is offline   United_States
0
      07-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Malakas, quite a coincidence indeed
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST