BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
sinner
New Member
2

 
Drives: 2001 S2000
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE


Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

I'm having second thoughts. Opinions?

I have a deposit on the new M but I'm starting to second guess the purchase. I've looked at a lot of different cars recently and had made up my mind on the M until the speculation started that the price for this car reasonably equipped would be close to 70k. Now I agree that this will be a badass car, but lacks alot of things compared to other cars in that price range including exclusivity. I've looked at NSX's (almost bought an 04), vipers, even a couple of early model F355's. Alot of other members have been comparing P- cars as well. Now I love the M line and all that it stands for. I think BMW is an innovative company and they make amazing cars, but lets call the M3 what it truly is. With all the name loyalty and heritage aside, it's a hopped up 3 series. You can even make the argument that the M3 to the 335 is what the EVO is to the lancer. Now I know I'll be flamed for this but I really think this is true. I do not think the E92 is a $70k car. The thing that made the E46 great was the amount of car that you could get with a pricetag starting under $50k. There's nothing exclusive about owning an M3. You see them on the road every day, and to someone who's not an enthusiast, it's just a bmw. The new E92 will shine for the first year, but once more are produced, I'm afraid that they'll be just like the E46. Let the flaming begin.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Kafka
Private
Canada
5

 
Drives: E46 M3 SMG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada


Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

M is an M

I can appreciate your dilemma as I was just there myself. I used to drive a 330 ci and thought the E46 M3 would be an extension (you say "hopped up") of this driving experience. I was very wrong. The M is just a different driving experience, maybe not better as it depends on your use and needs, but it is very very different. The cost of the E92 M3 is a really concern (think about the tire replacement costs with this new monster too!). I suggest you check out a pre-owned E46 M3 (as I stumbled into) as a good compromise. Still, I hear the 335 is great drive too, if don't want that "tight" M drive (I like it but others find it a bit much for daily drives). I have pre-ordered a E92 M3 but I enjoy the E46 M3 so much I no longer care that it may take a couple of years (given my spot on the list and the options I want).
And, the money you save you put into some good mods if you want to add to the appearance and or performance.
Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
K.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Markus03
Private First Class
7

 
Drives: BMW 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Best advice to to go test-drive all your potential car purchases and the one that thrills you the most is the winner!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
135

 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL


Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Anyone else find this odd....?
You are having seconds thoughts on speculation about the future price?
Your fears are understandable, just wait at least till the price is BMW confirmed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
jtown
Lieutenant
29

 
jtown's Avatar
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norcal


Posts: 596
iTrader: (0)

If you're worried about exclusivity maybe an RS4 because I don't even see many new model A4s on the street.

But I think the reason why there are so many BMWs on the road is because they're simply well designed and manufactured. What else in the price range will get you such a top notch car? A Z06 is 70k msrp ... RS4 very high 60s i think ... Cayman S ain't cheap either ... GTR who knows. The M slides in ride under all of those prices. Now the RS5 might be something to worry about if that ever happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
36

 
Steved's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England


Posts: 502
iTrader: (0)

New M3 retails here in the UK at 78% of the list price of an M5, on that basis you would be looking at around $65k in the US, which is just slightly under the price of an RS4 (as it is here in the UK).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
TheDreamer
Enlisted Member
2

 
Drives: 06 Scion Tc
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern California


Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Don't feel so bad for having second thoughts, surely all of us on the board have second guessed ourselves from time to time. Heres the thing though, stock, the M3 vs the 335i is not even a comparison for me. I get DSG, tighter handling, a NA v8 roar, and an 8400k redline, + much more. If you are saying that it's just a better version of the 3 series, well, to some extent thats what it is. That's what the e46 M was, and thats what this car will be too. However, if you don't think that difference is enough to merit the hike in prices I and many of the forum members would appreciate some quantitative analysis.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
sinner
New Member
2

 
Drives: 2001 S2000
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wilmington, DE


Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Well I'm going to keep my spot in line just in case we're wrong about the price. I guess my point is that I don't mind spending $70k if I'm satisfied with the purchase. My fear is that for $70k, I could buy something that will keep a smile on my face for a longer period of time. The thrill of owning an E92 I think will be short lived. Keeping in mind that this will not be a daily driver for me, I want to make sure the "fun factor" is there. Look at the NSX. It's an awesome car- targa top, mid engine, lightweight, and it's a head turner (very rare as well). An 04/05 viper is obtainable for $55k all day and will destroy the M. Now granted, neither of these cars would make great daily commuters, but that's not what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
x bmw
Registered
0

 
Drives: nissan 350z turbo
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: south africa


Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

x bmw

Hi, I am new here, and I cancelled my order of the new M3. I would like to buy a zo6 but it is not available in South Africa. My current car is a turbo 350z with over 500 hp, so the new m3 is too slow for me. I also feel that it is overpriced, and that it will be the slowest of the german super saloons. I know some will say that it is not about straight line speed(mercedes new c63 will slaughter the m3) but the new m3 is not that great on the track as well. I now decided to order the real beast that will outrun the m3 with ease and definately out corner it too. I found out that the skyline is coming to South africa and I am willing to pay more for this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
162

 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas


Posts: 2,663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x bmw View Post
Hi, I am new here, and I cancelled my order of the new M3. I would like to buy a zo6 but it is not available in South Africa. My current car is a turbo 350z with over 500 hp, so the new m3 is too slow for me. I also feel that it is overpriced, and that it will be the slowest of the german super saloons. I know some will say that it is not about straight line speed(mercedes new c63 will slaughter the m3) but the new m3 is not that great on the track as well. I now decided to order the real beast that will outrun the m3 with ease and definately out corner it too. I found out that the skyline is coming to South africa and I am willing to pay more for this car.


Are you really that stupid?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
181

 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring


Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
I have a deposit on the new M but I'm starting to second guess the purchase. I've looked at a lot of different cars recently and had made up my mind on the M until the speculation started that the price for this car reasonably equipped would be close to 70k. Now I agree that this will be a badass car, but lacks alot of things compared to other cars in that price range including exclusivity. I've looked at NSX's (almost bought an 04), vipers, even a couple of early model F355's. Alot of other members have been comparing P- cars as well. Now I love the M line and all that it stands for. I think BMW is an innovative company and they make amazing cars, but lets call the M3 what it truly is. With all the name loyalty and heritage aside, it's a hopped up 3 series. You can even make the argument that the M3 to the 335 is what the EVO is to the lancer. Now I know I'll be flamed for this but I really think this is true. I do not think the E92 is a $70k car. The thing that made the E46 great was the amount of car that you could get with a pricetag starting under $50k. There's nothing exclusive about owning an M3. You see them on the road every day, and to someone who's not an enthusiast, it's just a bmw. The new E92 will shine for the first year, but once more are produced, I'm afraid that they'll be just like the E46. Let the flaming begin.
I intend to get one but not at this point:
- maybe to get the 2-3rd year model so the bugs are surely worked out
- have a first buyer take the first year depreciation hits
- dealers will not discount them yet anyway
- still quite happy with the v6 e46 /M
- the v8 /M will be good 2nd car and not a my DD

$70k is too much as an estimate for these car, high 50s- low 60s IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
7

 
Drives: '02 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Sandbox


Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner View Post
Well I'm going to keep my spot in line just in case we're wrong about the price. I guess my point is that I don't mind spending $70k if I'm satisfied with the purchase. My fear is that for $70k, I could buy something that will keep a smile on my face for a longer period of time. The thrill of owning an E92 I think will be short lived. Keeping in mind that this will not be a daily driver for me, I want to make sure the "fun factor" is there. Look at the NSX. It's an awesome car- targa top, mid engine, lightweight, and it's a head turner (very rare as well). An 04/05 viper is obtainable for $55k all day and will destroy the M. Now granted, neither of these cars would make great daily commuters, but that's not what I'm looking for.
So, other than trolling, what was your point?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
7

 
Drives: '02 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Sandbox


Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x bmw View Post
Hi, I am new here, and I cancelled my order of the new M3. I would like to buy a zo6 but it is not available in South Africa. My current car is a turbo 350z with over 500 hp, so the new m3 is too slow for me. I also feel that it is overpriced, and that it will be the slowest of the german super saloons. I know some will say that it is not about straight line speed(mercedes new c63 will slaughter the m3) but the new m3 is not that great on the track as well. I now decided to order the real beast that will outrun the m3 with ease and definately out corner it too. I found out that the skyline is coming to South africa and I am willing to pay more for this car.
See above.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
7

 
Drives: '02 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Sandbox


Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
I intend to get one but not at this point:
- maybe to get the 2-3rd year model so the bugs are surely worked out
- have a first buyer take the first year depreciation hits
- dealers will not discount them yet anyway
- still quite happy with the v6 e46 /M
- the v8 /M will be good 2nd car and not a my DD

$70k is too much as an estimate for these car, high 50s- low 60s IMO.

V6 E46?

lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
181

 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring


Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
brainfart! my bad force of habit.... kinda hard to say six cylinder all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
M3onTwomps
First Lieutenant
Iraq
7

 
Drives: '02 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Sandbox


Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
brainfart! my bad force of habit.... kinda hard to say six cylinder all the time.
I6?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
nonick
Enlisted Member
South Africa
4

 
Drives: e92 335i; e36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Port Elizabeth


Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

X

Last edited by nonick; 01-10-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #18
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
181

 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring


Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3onTwomps View Post
I6?
I'd rather say and work my fingers abit and type straightline 6
i dunno, i guess they get the point if not, WTF.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
m_bazeepaymon
Major
71

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 1,075
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
New M3 retails here in the UK at 78% of the list price of an M5, on that basis you would be looking at around $65k in the US, which is just slightly under the price of an RS4 (as it is here in the UK).
65k BASE???
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
TheDreamer
Enlisted Member
2

 
Drives: 06 Scion Tc
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern California


Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Concerning X BMW

sometimes i really don't like people that have alot of money that come onto car enthusiast forums talking crap about other peoples cars just because they can't tell the different between a camshaft and a gearbox.

strike that sometimes actually. it's all the time. go away troll.

M3 is not even that great of a track car? How the heck do you know? Have you driven one on the track yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #21
esquire
Colonel
United_States
73

 
esquire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California


Posts: 2,801
iTrader: (0)

sinner... you say that the thing that made the e46 great was all the car you got starting under 50k. we all knew that there would be some kind of a mark up on the e92 M3, and by all reasonable measurements the M3 is looking to come in at between 55-58k.

the link below will explain how people came to those numbers:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55044

Surely you must have expected at least a 5 or 6k bump, so i really don't get what the source of your concerns is. if you don't want a 70k car, then don't get it loaded. even stock, the e92 M3 will be a lot of car for the money compared to the e46 m3:

1) substantially quicker 0-60
2) v8 engine coming in 30 lbs lighter than the old i6
3) carbon fiber roof previously only seen on the m6 and the m3 csl
4) info indicates navi and idrive possibly come standard
5) 80 extra hp


either way.... your fears are as speculative as the price right now. do yourself a favor and wait for the official pricing before you make a decision.
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
GatorM3
Registered
0

 
GatorM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW X5 4.8
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

My Two Cents

Sinner, please forgive me (no pun intended) if I took your post the wrong way, but you asked for opinions and I have 2 responses for you. Please refer to opinion #1 if I understood your post correctly (my thoughts being, that you are a Troll). If that is not the case then refer to opinion #2 (my thoughts being; here is a guy who simply wants a little help making an informed decision on what could potentially be a 70k purchase)

Opinion #1 You make me sick (don't take it personally, I've been lurking on this board for quite some time now and you aren't the only one to post such inane drivel, your post just happened to be the one that garnered a response) My opinion as to where and on what you spend your money should be of absolutely no consequence to you (unless I volunteered to buy the car for you...which isn't going to happen). I feel that you (and you ilk) are truly very indecisive people with little or no confidence or self esteem and rely, to a great extent, on the car you drive to make up for your perceived shortcomings as an individual. Some people have a very negative opinion concerning BMW owners and I believe it because of people like you. I saw the spy pics, I saw the concept, and I decided that I would have one in my garage...period. I don't care if it's not "exclusive", I don't care if it "turns heads", I want what I want, I deserve it and I will have it. This is not a "flame" because you talked "bad" about the M3. This is me getting sick and tired of adults refusing to make informed choices for themselves. It's simple...if you don't want to buy one...don't!!! You don't owe me or anyone else here an explanation as to why you decided not to make the purchase and nothing we can say will (or it shouldn't) change your mind.

Opinion #2 I completely understand. There are a number of vehicles in the 70k price range that would be viable M3 alternatives. I donít know your personal situation (wife, kids, income etc.) But I realize that there could be a lot of factors affecting your decision. My advice to you would be to make the decision that is right for you and your situation. Buy what makes you happy Sinner, for me the E92 M3 is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST