BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #45
RayC
Lieutenant
 
RayC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Centreville, VA

Posts: 544
iTrader: (4)

I drive fast. I will admit I have a lead foot...I average about 9mpg.

I drive fast because:

A. No cops (they don't chase people down and give tickets)
B. Speed cameras are around but the NAV shows/tells you where they all are
C. Very erratic drivers out there in Korea that don't know how to use turn signals.

My logic is that if I'm in front of them in the highway, they can't do me any harm. Sure I could get rear-ended but at least the blame will be on them.

I used to be a super-granny, defensive driver until I nearly got run off the road into a rice-paddy field. I was driving at the speed limit on a one-lane, country road when an old Hyundai Grandeur (Azera) tried to pass me on a blind corner. Idiot couldn't make it in time so when he saw the oncoming car, he veered into my lane. If I hadn't braked in time, he would've rammed off the road.

Ever since then I like to get in front, stay in front, and continue in front until I can't see them in the rear view mirror.

(PS I do track too)
RayC is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #46
stefan
Colonel
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 2,144
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards. My 2c. Probably why you see so many M drivers speeding.. Who knows. Maybe it's because we don't make any low end power and we are all constantly wringing our engines out and not realize how fast we're going ... lol
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
stefan is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #47
IAA-C63
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: C63
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
It seems like every time I see a decent sports car the driver is driving slow and usually in the right hand lane. M3 driver's appear to be the exception. Just a thought I wanted to share. I'm curious if others notice this phenomenon.
I personally don't see much point in having a performance car if one isn't going to engage in spirited (but safe!) driving on a fairly regular basis. Otherwise, better to just get a pure luxury car.
IAA-C63 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #48
cawest19
Livin' the M life
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Princeton, NJ

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Sideways through the school zone is the only way to roll
cawest19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #49
cawest19
Livin' the M life
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Princeton, NJ

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

I don't think I've ever seen a Corvette going fast on the highway
cawest19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #50
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Corvette going fast on the highway
I tend to agree with you there....although I do get on it fairly often if the opportunity presents itself. I think some of the younger Vette owners like myself (35-45 years old) do as well but the "stereotypical" Vette driver is indeed just cruising.
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #51
Nine
Banned
 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

Posts: 1,925
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards.
You have to be kidding me, even nascar drivers get pulled over speeding. The track and safe driving have no correlation, you are not taking into account the broad generalization of 'tracking' - just think of all the glory run HPDE drivers.

Anyway, I have two main comments:

1. The NSX code of conduct: While I can't decide if I like it or not, I do like the fact that they encourage owners to keep their cars clean and in good working order. If you want to be a part of the club, take pride in your car keep it clean as much as possible. I like that concept for many reasons.

2. On Speeding, I tend to drive at or around the speed limit but sometimes I play a little. Some people just want to see the M3 get up and go, (most of the time it's just me) There are a few ways to drive fast, there is the jackass way and the smart way. Tailgating, aggressive lane changes and cutting people off are punk moves regardless of speed. But, if you are in an open setting, back road, open highway and you open it up, it's really not all that bad. It's all about your surroundings and density of the roadway.

A smart person will know the difference, a dbag won't.
Nine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #52
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
 
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

Posts: 2,717
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
M3 drivers have no shame lol
thats me
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #53
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

The only Lambo I saw in 8 years in NC was speeding like a maniac. The other 5 I saw in Dallas last weekend were slow
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #54
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant
 
Pointerman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manteca, CA

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

I'm 43 and drive sane the majority of the time. Open it up a bit when it is safe to do so. Even though I have a massive life insurance policy my wife and kids would prefer to have me around.

I love my family and while I am a car nut; my family is always at the forefront of my mind. I have not had a ticket or accident in over 10 years and I plan on keeping it that way. Not saying I don't speed; I just don't feel that I need to be going faster than everyone else.

OLD GUYS RULE!
Pointerman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #55
Seattle S65B40
Major
 
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
We should come up with an M3 code of conduct

1. Be respectful towards 335s or other non-M BMWs but never accept an invitation to engage in a pissing contest with them.

2. Always keep your car clean (I like that too)

3. Acknowledge other M3 drivers by throwing up a three finger salute (index, middle and ring finger) while waiving your hand sideways.

4. Don't drive like a douche!

5. ...

What else?
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Seattle S65B40 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #56
Mr C
Captain
 
Mr C's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Sometimes it is nice just to CRUISE (drive slow) and enjoy the scenery in your M3.

I love (oops, I said the “L” word) driving over one of the Canyons (spirited driving of course) to Malibu and then CRUISING (driving slow) up Pacific Coast Highway (the beach) to enjoy the scenery. It is very relaxing!

The only thing is, some people who live in Malibu think PCH is the West Coast Autobahn. Sometimes when I am driving in cruise mode I will get some a-hole behind me in a Honda Accord, and they will get mad because I’m not speeding up PCH in my FLASHY yellow M3. When they pull along side of me to give me a dirty look, I roll-down my window and say, “hey, if you really want to race me in that POS, let’s meet at the track and see what you’ve got.” They usually just flip-me-off and then drive away.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 Alpine White M-DCT
2011 E92 M3 Individual Dakar 6MT
Mr C is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #57
cawest19
Livin' the M life
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Princeton, NJ

Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
We should come up with an M3 code of conduct

1. Be respectful towards 335s or other non-M BMWs but never accept an invitation to engage in a pissing contest with them.

2. Always keep your car clean (I like that too)

3. Acknowledge other M3 drivers by throwing up a three finger salute (index, middle and ring finger) while waiving your hand sideways.

4. Don't drive like a douche!

5. ...

What else?
I actually like this idea... you should start a thread (I'm sure you'd get some interesting replies!) #3 sounds kind of lame, and might get you into trouble if you flash that sign in the wrong neighborhood, lol.
cawest19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #58
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
I actually like this idea... you should start a thread (I'm sure you'd get some interesting replies!) #3 sounds kind of lame, and might get you into trouble if you flash that sign in the wrong neighborhood, lol.
I second the (new thread) idea..
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #59
Seattle S65B40
Major
 
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
I actually like this idea... you should start a thread (I'm sure you'd get some interesting replies!) #3 sounds kind of lame, and might get you into trouble if you flash that sign in the wrong neighborhood, lol.
I second the (new thread) idea..
Alright. I'll get on it. Give me a minute though. On a plane right now
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Seattle S65B40 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,757
iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards.
I agree with you

I used to be a pretty reckless driver when I was younger, and even now I do some reckless stuff (like see a yellow arrow, speed up and make the left instead of stopping), or downshift to pass the car going 65 in the fast lane.

but after I started tracking recently, I don't have the urge to go fast on the street.
I may floor it in 1st but then I'll stop when I hit 45-50 speed, so 5-10 over the speed limit. I don't want to get a ticket lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAA-C63 View Post
I personally don't see much point in having a performance car if one isn't going to engage in spirited (but safe!) driving on a fairly regular basis. Otherwise, better to just get a pure luxury car.
I beg to differ. See what I wrote above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
if you are in an open setting, back road, open highway and you open it up, it's really not all that bad. It's all about your surroundings and density of the roadway.
I wish we had more of these....


Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
The only Lambo I saw in 8 years in NC was speeding like a maniac. The other 5 I saw in Dallas last weekend were slow
You've only seen 6 lambos in 8 years??

I see that much per day when I go down to Beverly Hills lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar92 View Post
Sometimes it is nice just to CRUISE (drive slow) and enjoy the scenery in your M3.

I love (oops, I said the L word) driving over one of the Canyons (spirited driving of course) to Malibu and then CRUISING (driving slow) up Pacific Coast Highway (the beach) to enjoy the scenery. It is very relaxing!

The only thing is, some people who live in Malibu think PCH is the West Coast Autobahn. Sometimes when I am driving in cruise mode I will get some a-hole behind me in a Honda Accord, and they will get mad because Im not speeding up PCH in my FLASHY yellow M3. When they pull along side of me to give me a dirty look, I roll-down my window and say, hey, if you really want to race me in that POS, lets meet at the track and see what youve got. They usually just flip-me-off and then drive away.
Strange, I never have had a Honda guy or anything try to race me or anything.
Do you usually take Topanga ? or Kanan? Topanga has so much traffic these days it's unsafe to drive spirited :/

Kanan is wide and great, except there are so many cops...

But yeah, I hear you on cruising on PCH. I love opening the top and taking my girl there for a cruise. Weather is beautiful 70s there versus the 100 in the valley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
I actually like this idea... you should start a thread (I'm sure you'd get some interesting replies!) #3 sounds kind of lame, and might get you into trouble if you flash that sign in the wrong neighborhood, lol.
He's started a couple of decent threads and I think this may be a good addition
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #61
ersin
Brigadier General
 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,060
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest19 View Post
It seems like every time I see a decent sports car the driver is driving slow and usually in the right hand lane...
Well, around here most of the time it doesn't matter which lane you're in. There's always someone in the fast lane (and all other lanes) who wants to go slow. So, just because someone is in the slow lane around here doesn't mean they want to go slow -- it just doesn't matter.

Having said that, most Corvettes seem to be part of the slower crowd. The ricers, with the fart-can exhausts, are the ones that are always tailgating and passing, only to hit the brakes since they're immediately going to be behind some other slowpoke. So, I just ride along with the traffic at whatever speed they're doing in the lane that seems to have the lesser traffic. However, when I'm on the back roads, ...


Cheers.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #62
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,766
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Anyone who frequents their local track won't have much of a desire to speed on public roads afterwards. My 2c. Probably why you see so many M drivers speeding.. Who knows. Maybe it's because we don't make any low end power and we are all constantly wringing our engines out and not realize how fast we're going ... lol
This is so true. After my HPDE I had no desire to drive fast/aggressive on public roads. Maybe it's safe to assume that M3 owners who drive like douches don't track their cars.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #63
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

I don't feel I drive slow, but that doesn't mean I'm racing or driving recklessly. Big difference there. One can drive quickly and in a safe manner. Not sure why the assumption is that one is "driving like a douche" if they're not driving slow and creating traffic.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #64
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I used to be a pretty reckless driver when I was younger, and even now I do some reckless stuff (like see a yellow arrow, speed up and make the left instead of stopping), or downshift to pass the car going 65 in the fast lane.
Not exactly what I would call reckless.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #65
spiff
The Dr
 
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westlake Village, CA

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to spiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
You have to be kidding me, even nascar drivers get pulled over speeding. The track and safe driving have no correlation, you are not taking into account the broad generalization of 'tracking' - just think of all the glory run HPDE drivers.

Anyway, I have two main comments:

1. The NSX code of conduct: While I can't decide if I like it or not, I do like the fact that they encourage owners to keep their cars clean and in good working order. If you want to be a part of the club, take pride in your car keep it clean as much as possible. I like that concept for many reasons.

2. On Speeding, I tend to drive at or around the speed limit but sometimes I play a little. Some people just want to see the M3 get up and go, (most of the time it's just me) There are a few ways to drive fast, there is the jackass way and the smart way. Tailgating, aggressive lane changes and cutting people off are punk moves regardless of speed. But, if you are in an open setting, back road, open highway and you open it up, it's really not all that bad. It's all about your surroundings and density of the roadway.

A smart person will know the difference, a dbag won't.
Best post so far, in addition to "maturity".

I find that the coolest way to drive is at your average 5-10 over on the freeway, but drive smooth and smart enough that your route is more efficient than the guy driving at 25+ over but swerving all over the place.

Less attention = less accidents = less tickets = more time in your car, and for the people around you.

Hitting up track days will certainly gets some of the juices out, but it also puts some juices back into you. It takes the smart driver to realize when and how track manners and technique can be applied to the public roads.

There's a time and a place for anything; when it comes to speeding, driving aggressively, and yada-yada...that time might not be when you're looking at someone in their M3.
__________________
2008 E90 M3 / 2013 F800GT
"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
spiff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #66
Doctor J
Captain
 
Doctor J's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver BC

Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Best post so far, in addition to "maturity".

I find that the coolest way to drive is at your average 5-10 over on the freeway, but drive smooth and smart enough that your route is more efficient than the guy driving at 25+ over but swerving all over the place.

.
+1

I love doing that
__________________
2010 BMW M3 vert with DCT & Akra
Doctor J is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST