BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

02-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
yomny
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Odd noise after X pipe install

Hey guys, i installed my catless xpipe with only the resonators and i get this weird noise when pressing on the gas and at certain rpm points. Sounds to me like resonance, the vibration of the metal emitting a noise. The noise is not the booming noise droning from 2k-3k or so, neither does it occur on a range of RPM's. To try and get an idea of the sound, is like when you get a pipe and blow in it hard enough then you get this humming sound, like wind passing through a pipe. It only happens on a certain rpms, like 2200, 3900.. it doesn't expand through out RPMs. I'm not sure if its due to the x pipe being mated to the stock rear section. Thanks for any comments or ideas you may have.
yomny is offline   United_States
      02-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
it could be anything.. you probably will get a better results if you post a video...
      02-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
KennyPowers
Brigadier General

Drives: .....

easiest thing to do would be to put the car on the lift and check your clearances throughout the entire length of the exhaust system.

sounds like you rubbing against / making contact with something underneath the car.

this was the case for me when I ran an aftermarket x pipe.
      02-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
yomny
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Thanks a lot guys, I'll do this as soon as I get a chance. It's hard to hear the noise on a video the sound quality would have to be excellent.
yomny is offline   United_States
      02-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
JerezblackM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e92 m3 dct

I just had a custom catless x pipe welded to the stock resonators, sounds great but I have a different problem. If I'm cruising at gear 7 with rpm around 2000 and I give it some gas, the rpm starts jumping up and down and the car seems to be making a decision weather to downshift automatically or not and then it does downshift. It feels like its not taking fuel to go. Anyone encounter something similar?