BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

Posts: 808
iTrader: (1)

Overtaking/turning question

Hi guys,

I know this is a very amateurish question, and I'm quite ready for the "learn to drive, etc." remarks, but hopefully, someone will provide a meaningfull answer.

My question is this:
__________________________________
------(car1)-(car3)--- Lane 1 ====>direction of travel
---(car2)-------------- Lane 2 ====>direction of travel
__________________________________

Car 1 is overtaking car 2. Car 1 is going at a faster speed than car 2 by say 10 mph.

How soon can car1 go back into lane 2? I mean I understand that you have to have a visible gap, but specifically, I am afraid of the rear half of the car being hit... i.e. car 1 starts turning, makes it half way, and the is T boned by car 2 - is such a thing possible? Or does the mere fact that car1 is going faster than car2 insure that no collision occurs?

Last edited by D_o_S; 06-30-2011 at 03:41 PM.
D_o_S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
len56
Private
 
len56's Avatar
 
Drives: like a gentleman, yo
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

i'd just stay behind car 3 until it opens up...

it seems really risky, I saw an accident almost happen from someone doing that once, car2 swerved though and saved themselves.
__________________
i love german cars
len56 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

You're probably cutting off car 2. Also, passing on the right is stupid.

Better off flashing your brights and waving hand gestures towards car 3.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Naptime
#Hashtag
 
Naptime's Avatar
 
Drives: around in circles
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Texas

Posts: 246
iTrader: (1)

Wait for the gap.
Naptime is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
jpsum
Major
 
jpsum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (4)

nice diagram, but you forgot to ID the direction of travel.
jpsum is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
 
Freakazoid's Avatar
 
Drives: Saturn Redline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
You're probably cutting off car 2. Also, passing on the right is stupid.

Better off flashing your brights and waving hand gestures towards car 3.
where'd passing on the right come into play here? am I missing something obvious?
Freakazoid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
len56
Private
 
len56's Avatar
 
Drives: like a gentleman, yo
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
where'd passing on the right come into play here? am I missing something obvious?
i dont think it did...
__________________
i love german cars
len56 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Are we moving from left to right or right to left. I'd assume you are moving right to left and therefore in the left lane. Which would mean you're passing the guy in the left lane or cutting off the other guy for absolutely no reason. If you are just moving right, as you should, you should wait for a large gap or let the guy on the right pass.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Louchie
D:
 
Louchie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Section 8 hauzing in qnz, ny

Posts: 435
iTrader: (2)

Are you asking when to switch to leave a safe gap between you and car 2, or when to switch to make sure car 2 won't hit you?
__________________
Contact me for all your Architectural and Engineering needs in the greater NYC area

MBA Engineering PC
Louchie is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Kroy
Brigadier General
 
Kroy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Slow down
cut behind car2 and get over to lane 3
?????
pass everyone.
Kroy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
GregTheStig
derp
 
GregTheStig's Avatar
 
Drives: a Tuk Tuk
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
If you absolutely have to pass on the right, I was always told to wait until you can see both headlights in your rear view mirror (the middle one) before you switch lanes.

Ideally, just stay behind car 3.
__________________
GregTheStig is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Forcefed3
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Why do you want to cut people off?
Forcefed3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
D_o_S
LCI'd
 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

Posts: 808
iTrader: (1)

Thanks guys, I edited the post to indicate direction of travel - from left to right.

The problem is, in the city, you theoretically don't have to be in the right lane at all times, there are people that enter the left lane early because they want to turn left, etc. but most of them are just lane hogs. The problem I often encounter is that the person in car 3 is not concerned with the people behind him, all he wants to do is hog the left lane, driving slowly... that way, car 1 (me) has serious problems overtaking, for there is no where to go - car3 is slightly faster than car2, but because he is a left lane hog, he stays in the left lane... that way, I have to go into the right lane (hence my problem) and take car3 on the right (which is a shame, etc. I know, but the cops don's seem to fine anyone for slowing me down, and so I have to take justice into my own hands).

My question is (let's keep it on topic please): when can car 1 merge back into lane 2, after it has overtaken car 2? The problem I think is that the rear view mirrors on the Euro spec E90 (panoramatic) do not show the car behind you for some time, and so you end up leaving unnecessarily large gaps. I would like to know if there is any chance of car 1 being t-boned (rear half hit) by car 2, provided that car 1 is travelling faster than car 2.

Check this video at 0:35:

Imagine that instead of the cones there are cars travelling at a constant speed. Provided that the BMW is faster than all of them, there should be no risk of getting hit anywhere, right?
D_o_S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Confirm, visual confirmation of BOTH headlights of the other car in your center rear view mirror.

I have other little checks like this if you are interested. Especially a great one for parking most german cars.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Louchie
D:
 
Louchie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Section 8 hauzing in qnz, ny

Posts: 435
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Thanks guys, I edited the post to indicate direction of travel - from left to right.

The problem is, in the city, you theoretically don't have to be in the right lane at all times, there are people that enter the left lane early because they want to turn left, etc. but most of them are just lane hogs. The problem I often encounter is that the person in car 3 is not concerned with the people behind him, all he wants to do is hog the left lane, driving slowly... that way, car 1 (me) has serious problems overtaking, for there is no where to go - car3 is slightly faster than car2, but because he is a left lane hog, he stays in the left lane... that way, I have to go into the right lane (hence my problem) and take car3 on the right (which is a shame, etc. I know, but the cops don's seem to fine anyone for slowing me down, and so I have to take justice into my own hands).

My question is (let's keep it on topic please): when can car 1 merge back into lane 2, after it has overtaken car 2? The problem I think is that the rear view mirrors on the Euro spec E90 (panoramatic) do not show the car behind you for some time, and so you end up leaving unnecessarily large gaps. I would like to know if there is any chance of car 1 being t-boned (rear half hit) by car 2, provided that car 1 is travelling faster than car 2.

Check this video at 0:35:

Imagine that instead of the cones there are cars travelling at a constant speed. Provided that the BMW is faster than all of them, there should be no risk of getting hit anywhere, right?
It really depends on how close you want to get to car 2.... Try setting up your mirrors by placing your head right above the center console and looking out the mirror. adjust it out so you see only a portion of the side of your car. this helps a lot, especially for cars with smaller wing mirrors.

Edit: talking about the right mirror. For the left place your head right near the window and do the same.
__________________
Contact me for all your Architectural and Engineering needs in the greater NYC area

MBA Engineering PC
Louchie is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
D_o_S
LCI'd
 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

Posts: 808
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Confirm, visual confirmation of BOTH headlights of the other car in your center rear view mirror.

I have other little checks like this if you are interested. Especially a great one for parking most german cars.
Thanks, more please!
D_o_S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
 
leJUNd's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 313
iTrader: (1)

When I can see car2's both headlights in the rear view mirror.
leJUNd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

If you put your right blinker on the guy to the right will most likely slow down or speed up. Or move over one. Wait. move over again. Be a JO and rip it past everybody in the right and then swerve back over 2 lanes.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
D_o_S
LCI'd
 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

Posts: 808
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the replies guys. I think this is too complex a question to answer simply, but the rear view mirror rule is nice, thanks. Overall, I think it depends on how fast you're going (the faster you're going, the more distance your car will travel during the turning manouvre) and how much you turn...
D_o_S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,154
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
If you absolutely have to pass on the right, I was always told to wait until you can see both headlights in your rear view mirror (the middle one) before you switch lanes.

Ideally, just stay behind car 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
You're probably cutting off car 2. Also, passing on the right is stupid.

Better off flashing your brights and waving hand gestures towards car 3.
Looks pretty obvious that the car is passing on the left going back into the right lane. Did I miss something?

I believe legally you are supposed to see the headlights in your rearview mirror before switching lanes.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Looks pretty obvious that the car is passing on the left going back into the right lane. Did I miss something?

I believe legally you are supposed to see the headlights in your rearview mirror before switching lanes.
Yes, you did.

And no, seeing headlights in your rearview is not a law, its a "rule". You can see them and still be cited for reckless driving.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
number335
Second Lieutenant
 
number335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Is car 2 going faster than car 3? If so, not worth the risk. You never know if car 2 is gonna speed up to prevent being cut off.
More times than not, the driver in car 2 will get pissed off at driver of car 1 if they are cutting it that close. Car 1 should just slow down and switch lanes behind car 2.
number335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST