BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Draff1
Private First Class
 
Draff1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

X-Pipe Thoughts & Opinions

Just re-installed my challenge x-pipe SPORT. Originally had the race version but was not a good sound match with the Dinan rear so I ended up going with the HFC version.

I've read several threads on here where guys rave about the power increase. In all honesty, i feel NOTHING in terms of power. In fact, if anything the car feels slightly less sharp and responsive. I didn't really feel a bump with the RACE version either

Has anyone experienced this? Should there be a night and day power bump? BTW I have Dinan stage 2 tune so it's all textbook installation.

Has anyone actually done Vbox runs before and after? I'm less interested in Dynos because they don't tell you how he car feels, runs and performs.

Thanks all.
__________________
2009 Silverstone II E92 M3 Coupe - DCT
Dinan Exhaust, RPi scoops, Dinan Tune, Dinan Pulley, BMC filter, LCI Taillights, MS 15mm spacers, Huper Optik tint.
Draff1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
bchang2001
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: OC,CA

Posts: 459
iTrader: (5)

how does it sound with the dinan rear and challenge xpipe?
bchang2001 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Draff1
Private First Class
 
Draff1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Sounds really nice with the sport pipe, too loud with the race. More of a higher pitched exotic sound versus the RPi muscle car tone I had previously.
__________________
2009 Silverstone II E92 M3 Coupe - DCT
Dinan Exhaust, RPi scoops, Dinan Tune, Dinan Pulley, BMC filter, LCI Taillights, MS 15mm spacers, Huper Optik tint.
Draff1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,711
iTrader: (2)

drone?
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
saeedg48
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown

Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

xpipes do nothing. just sounds..
delete primary cats and you'll see power gains.
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3

Last edited by saeedg48; 06-27-2011 at 12:46 AM.
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Draff1
Private First Class
 
Draff1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Read the post again. I first tried catless and then went to HFC's. No perceivable difference.
This is my point.. Wondering if anyone has seen actual performance gains or losses in terms of documented 1/4 mi or trap speeds. Maybe 0-60 is too hard to measure accurately.

Anyone else felt like this mod didn't deliver?
__________________
2009 Silverstone II E92 M3 Coupe - DCT
Dinan Exhaust, RPi scoops, Dinan Tune, Dinan Pulley, BMC filter, LCI Taillights, MS 15mm spacers, Huper Optik tint.
Draff1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
DevJ
Colonel
 
DevJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

Posts: 2,704
iTrader: (1)

I could instantly feel a power bump when I installed my hfcs.
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
DevJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,810
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
I could instantly feel a power bump when I installed my hfcs.
Concur. Very noticeable from 5k rpm on. I have the fabspeed setup.
Singletrack is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,476
iTrader: (14)

Butt dynos are fail. I noticed an instant bump in midrange when I removed the primary cats. When I put the car back to stock, I noticed a bump in low end, below 4000 rpm. Didn't really notice when I did the cat delete. I think this is why most people get fooled by cat deletes. There is a shift in the power curve. That said, the loss of low end was TINY and the bump in midrange was rather large, about 25rwhp. Butt dynos are fail.

But, it's really hard to get accurate power measurements with your butt dyno!
__________________

IMG_3969-Edit by kitw, on Flickr
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
 
jimmy ny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 bmw m3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: new york

Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Active auto hfc x pipe. It's well made and hardly ever a cel. All pipes will throw a cel once in a while. I just bought a scanner to delete code on occasion.
jimmy ny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Draff1
Private First Class
 
Draff1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Guess I need to take a ride up to EAS so I can get a Dyno run just to make sure the car is running correctly. If Dyno seems in the ballpark for my mods then my butt dyno is probably broken.
__________________
2009 Silverstone II E92 M3 Coupe - DCT
Dinan Exhaust, RPi scoops, Dinan Tune, Dinan Pulley, BMC filter, LCI Taillights, MS 15mm spacers, Huper Optik tint.
Draff1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,502
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Butt dynos are fail. I noticed an instant bump in midrange when I removed the primary cats. When I put the car back to stock, I noticed a bump in low end, below 4000 rpm. Didn't really notice when I did the cat delete. I think this is why most people get fooled by cat deletes. There is a shift in the power curve. That said, the loss of low end was TINY and the bump in midrange was rather large, about 25rwhp. Butt dynos are fail.

But, it's really hard to get accurate power measurements with your butt dyno!
I don't know, just sent mine in for recalibration..
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #13
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,476
iTrader: (14)

^ LOL

Mine can barely tell my fatty E93 from my lithe E90! (although it's more obvious in turns and the bit of cowl shake... oh and the glorious SUNSHINE hitting my head!)
__________________

IMG_3969-Edit by kitw, on Flickr
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Sal@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draff1 View Post
Just re-installed my challenge x-pipe SPORT. Originally had the race version but was not a good sound match with the Dinan rear so I ended up going with the HFC version.

I've read several threads on here where guys rave about the power increase. In all honesty, i feel NOTHING in terms of power. In fact, if anything the car feels slightly less sharp and responsive. I didn't really feel a bump with the RACE version either

Has anyone experienced this? Should there be a night and day power bump? BTW I have Dinan stage 2 tune so it's all textbook installation.

Has anyone actually done Vbox runs before and after? I'm less interested in Dynos because they don't tell you how he car feels, runs and performs.

Thanks all.
Due to the fact that power is pretty much increased through the whole rpm range by a similar amount the nature of the acceleration and torque curve do not change. Therefore the character of the engine remains very much the same but is just 'more'. Can be difficult to detect.

Easiest way - just look at how much faster you can get from one point to the next and how much faster then RPM needle goes up.

If an X Pipe started working at say 4000rpm and nothing below this then you would really feel the difference.
Sal@Evolve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,810
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Due to the fact that power is pretty much increased through the whole rpm range by a similar amount the nature of the acceleration and torque curve do not change. Therefore the character of the engine remains very much the same but is just 'more'. Can be difficult to detect.

Easiest way - just look at how much faster you can get from one point to the next and how much faster then RPM needle goes up.

If an X Pipe started working at say 4000rpm and nothing below this then you would really feel the difference.
This is spot on. Put on an xpipe and go 5k to redline in 3rd gear and you should notice the difference.

To Draff - if it feels less responsive, you may just need a proper tune if you are doing a ton of driving in low RPMs, such as around town. The sport has HFC's yes, but they are relocated to the rear. This is better for flow, but also requires some fine tuning of vanos to be a "smooth" as stock up to 2600RPM or so.
Singletrack is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
EAS's Avatar
 
Drives: VF620 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 5,694
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draff1 View Post
Guess I need to take a ride up to EAS so I can get a Dyno run just to make sure the car is running correctly. If Dyno seems in the ballpark for my mods then my butt dyno is probably broken.
Just give us a call when you're ready to set up an appointment to dyno your car
__________________
european auto source (eas)
email: info@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com
tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 | fax: 714.908.1796


Blog | Facebook | YouTube | Flickr | Twitter
EAS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST