BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Which Clear Bra

Waiting for my new M3 to be delivered. While I am waiting I have been investigating the various clear bra products and I am hoping for some feedback from you folks.

What clear bra did you have installed?

What did you have done (e.g. mirrors, lights, bumper, hood, fenders, rockers, etc.)?

What did you pay for your install?

How long have you had your clear bra installed and have you seen any yellowing or other issues? What color is your car if you have seen issues?

I am in Northern California so if you liked your installer in Cali please post the recommendation.
Pointerman is offline   United_States
      06-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
albert1028
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

I would suggest using the search function. For this has been talked about many many times.

Premier Mobile Group is headquartered in the Bay Area but because they are the "name brand" they do charge a pretty penny. There are several others throughout your area, just do a search and look in the California forum and I would suggest even searching on other forums and not just this forum to do research.
albert1028 is offline   Taiwan
      06-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
FVM3
Major General

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

what color is your car?
      06-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
FrozenGman
Gman

Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey M3 ZCP

One Answer.. http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/

I have used them several times and they are fantastic. A little pricier than most other film shops but you get what you for. I would highly recommend a custom wrap, and wrap entire panels, rather than leave lines. The newer films are very resilient to rocks on the freeway these days.

I have wrapped several cars, and will be using them shortly to do my Frozen M3. I will be doing a custom satin wrap to match the paint and will be doing:

Entire bumper
Headlights
Entire Bonnet (hood)
Entire front side panels.
Rocker panels
Rear bumper following lower crease line
Wing Mirrors

I wrapped my Noble , and have done 5,000 miles, with 3 track days. not a single dent, rock chip or scratch. And the entire car is lower than the top of the M3 boot. (trunk)

:-)
FrozenGman is offline   United_States
      06-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant

Always one person that will post to use search. Hasn't pretty much everything already been discussed.

Already have a quote from Premiere. They are extremely expensive. Given a potential life of 5 years i am concerned that the price may not be justified.

Car is LeMans blue. Plan on keeping it for quite some time so it needs to not yellow.
      06-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
FrozenGman
Gman

Did you get a quote for a custom wrap ? or a pre cut?

I found them to be a little more expensive, but not overly so. I did my research and talked to a few owners who had exotics wrapped by several vendors with 1-2 years on the ownership after the wrap.

Premier came up as consistently being highly recommended, so I "interviewed" them.. I chose them and have not regretted it. My Noble got wrapped in March 2010 and I have had zero issues. Thats the longest vehicle I have had wrapped by them.

I firmly believe you get what you pay for, and the crew doing the work makes the difference.

I also look after my cars (a little OCD), and take care of the wrap as well as the exposed paint work (lots of products around for it)

Thats the only experience I can offer you!

Good choice in color !! good luck with the hunt ! feel free to PM if you want any other specifics.
      06-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Pointerman
Second Lieutenant

Thanks. I understand they do top notch installs. Just concerned that no matter how good the install the actual product has a life expectancy. Plunking $2k every 5 years hurts.
      06-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
FrozenGman
Gman

Yeah 2K every 5 years is a little painful. But I would imagine a repaint might not be that far off. And it all depends on the abuse you put the car's exterior through.

I can not personally vouch for the material Premier use yet, in terms of it going yellow over a period of time. They tell me it won't, and offer a life time warranty.

So time will tell.. for now, its working, its protecting and I know the Noble would have far more damage if I did not have the clear wrap (taken from previous experience with cars on track and road)
      06-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
rye m3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

On LeMans Blue, Ventureshield should hold up very well. Had it my silver 997 for 2 years and it was still completely clear. Lifetime warranty from a verified installer. If you don't go to a dealer, you should be able to get it well under $1k. I'm in NY, so my installer won't help you. I only did the partial hood, because I wanted to be able to still polish some of the paint. Oh, the M3 is tough car to wrap, so find a good installer. He'll probably need to come back in a week or two to even a couple of bubbles out. Ventureshield pre cut is really the way to go. I agree that spending $2k on plastic wrap is just not worth it.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold

Last edited by rye m3; 06-28-2011 at 09:49 PM.
rye m3 is offline   Switzerland
      06-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Ctm309
First Lieutenant

Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

They all yellow over time. how noticeable just depends what color your car is.
      06-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
DrL
Private

Drives: GT3 RS

I don't have my M3 anymore, but Premier (socal) just did a full wrap on my new car (minus front end which was already done with 3M). I've only had the car back a few days but it seems they did a fantastic job. These guys are very professional and really seem to put their heart and soul into their work. They ask that you bring the car back after 30 days so they can clean the whole thing again, go over it, and look for any minor imperfections that need to be fixed.

Based on everything I've heard on the forums, Premium is the way to go and I didn't even look into other options/estimates.

Yes, its not cheap but cheaper than paint work. Over time, I'd much rather replace clear bra on a panel here and there vs. dealing with paint issues.
      06-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Keep in mind, the clear bra should be removed after 3-4 year or it's nearly impossible to take off after that.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      06-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
stuka
Private First Class

Drives: 13 STI, 06 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
Always one person that will post to use search. Hasn't pretty much everything already been discussed.

Already have a quote from Premiere. They are extremely expensive. Given a potential life of 5 years i am concerned that the price may not be justified.

Car is LeMans blue. Plan on keeping it for quite some time so it needs to not yellow.
Trust me, Premier is expensive for a reason. They have done a lot of my cars, the most recent one being my E39 M5 that was fully wrapped, as in, the whole car. Everyone who saw my car did not know it had clearbra on it.

Most installers shouldn't be trusted with a matchbox toy car, let along a new expensive car.

You don't want to have a cheap place do it and end up with lots of razor cuts.

Oh, and the first time you get a nasty chip, that clearbra wouldn't seem so expensive.

Bottom line, if you don't put 87 octane or have jiffy lube work on your car, why would you skimp on clearbra?
      06-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
stuka
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Keep in mind, the clear bra should be removed after 3-4 year or it's nearly impossible to take off after that.
Nah, it will come off fine. I started having clearbra on my car since 2002 when I had my 2002 M3 done.

The reason you want to redone every 3 to 4 years is if you drive in a lot of bad roads where you get lots of hits. Clearbra will start to look pitted (duh, it's taking the paints place to be pitted).
      06-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
stuka
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
On LeMans Blue, Ventureshield should hold up very well. Had it my silver 997 for 2 years and it was still completely clear. Lifetime warranty from a verified installer. If you don't go to a dealer, you should be able to get it well under $1k. I'm in NY, so my installer won't help you. I only did the partial hood, because I wanted to be able to still polish some of the paint. Oh, the M3 is tough car to wrap, so find a good installer. He'll probably need to come back in a week or two to even a couple of bubbles out. Ventureshield pre cut is really the way to go. I agree that spending $2k on plastic wrap is just not worth it.
Repaint lowers the value of the car, and 99.9999% of the shops shouldn't be left to paint walls in homes, let along cars (I used to be in bodyshop business).

And a good full front wrap, full hood, full fenders, and bumper will cost a lot more than 1K, more like 2400 bucks.
      06-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

I'm also looking to clear bra just a set of mirror caps, if anyone has any recommendations in the Orange County area, PM me
      06-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #17
albert1028
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
Aus, where'd you hear this, this is one of the first times i've heard this? Anyone else heard the same?
albert1028 is offline   Taiwan
      06-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #18
stuka
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
I'm also looking to clear bra just a set of mirror caps, if anyone has any recommendations in the Orange County area, PM me
Premier OC.
      06-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #19
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Premier OC.
I really like the work that they do but the cost of wrapping the just the mirror caps almost cost the price of the caps themselves
      06-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #20
mazing
Private First Class

Drives: 2011.5 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
+1 on Ventureshield, I have it on my Black M3 and it looks amazing (plus gives you piece of mind). I also had it on my 335i (white) and it held up no problem (2yrs on car) and it is well worth it. Just make sure you get a good installer, check his work., see the cars etc. I picked up my new M3 from the dealer the other day (during negotiation I indicated that I need a bra and was looiking to get some money of the car) They told me they had a guy that could do it and that they would "throw it in". Well I threw it out, looked like crap, not ventureshield etc. Took to my guy to redo (and dealer paid so I got my money off anyhow) You also want to make sure when applied that they wrap it under the hood and venders etc (not just taking it to the edge). M3's are hard to do, find the right guy and pay a little extra for the piece of mind you won't be sorry.
      06-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #21
hlmiii
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
What clear bra did you have installed?
3M.
The company now has two product lines, VentureShield and ScotchGuard.
3M bought out VentureShield recently, as the VS product was a thinner film, with a less-robust adhesive that did not yellow very much. The original 3M film was thicker (more protection) and had an adhesive that ensured no lifted edges or surface separation. The 3M product provided a longer and better lifetime, but its adhesive tended to yellow after years in the sun.
VentureShield is now the less-expensive line, ScotchGuard is the premier line. 3M has improved both - Venture has a better adhesive than previous, and SG has a different adhesive that does not yellow.

Quote:
What did you have done (e.g. mirrors, lights, bumper, hood, fenders, rockers, etc.)?
Everything except lights (there are other products for that). If you're going to do anything on your car, do all of it. Otherwise it will not look right - it will have unequal wear character over time.

Quote:
What did you pay for your install?
Anywhere from $500 - $1,500, depending upon the amount of area covered, and the complexity of the curves and angles. BMW has the most complex/sophisticated geometry (I've done Lambos for less).

Quote:
How long have you had your clear bra installed and have you seen any yellowing or other issues?
Five years on a white 545 with the original 3M film. It did show a bit of yellowing at that point. Up to four years with the VentureShield; virtually no discoloring.
Up to two years with the new/reformulated 3M premier line. No yellowing or discoloration.
In terms of protection - I ran headlong into the bedliner of a pickup truck at 65 mph a couple of years ago. The film was abraided, scored, stained, and peeled back. The paint itself had absolutely NO damage.
The repair consisted of replacing a small piece, buffing out some hazed/abraided areas, and removing the black marks with a cleaner. At that point the surface appeared virtually brand new. FTW.

Quote:
What color is your car if you have seen issues?
My experience has been with white, black, black metallic, orange metallic, blue metallic, silver and red. No issues (other than noted above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii
Will the paint suffer any effects if the film is removed, due to damage or choice or for other reasons?
No, not at all. Properly applied and maintained (not subjected to abuse by chemicals or rubbing) it will definitely and cleanly peel off in whole sheets with no removal of paint or change in the gloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazing View Post
make sure when applied that they wrap it under the hood and venders etc (not just taking it to the edge). M3's are hard to do, find the right guy and pay a little extra for the piece of mind you won't be sorry.
Excellent. Heed this 100%.

Quote:
This is not correct in any way.

My experience has been such that I would never have a car without the protection. A good product properly applied will last longer than you will own the car.
hlmiii is offline   United_States
      06-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
ramyar
Member BMW CCA Los Angeles

Drives: 11.5 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
From my past experience with BMW aerodynamics as daily drivers, the part that would see damage enough to warrant anything is realistically the front bumper. Sometimes the hood or mirrors but it's usually not nearly as bad. All other parts can be polished and buffed out and that usually includes the hood/mirrors with touch up paint.

Therefore to me paying $300 every 2-3 years to respray the bumper is alot cheaper than 2k every 5. And it's like getting a new bumper.

Of course this all depends on your personal preference and baby-ing level. Some don't want to deal with film and others don't want their oem paint messed with.

Much enjoyed:
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan || 2007 ///M Coupe || 2008 550i Sport || 2006 ///M3 ZCP || 2008 X3 3.0si || 2006 325i || 2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster || 2003 330ci || 2002 325i
ramyar is offline   United_States