BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Strasse Wheels

06-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
nebz
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3

LIKE WHOA!...how is that gonna work
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #24
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW E89 Z4

Send a message via AIM to Johan@WSTO Send a message via Skype™ to Johan@WSTO
The guys at FMU always do great job! More info on this project please
      06-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #25
FluidMotorUnion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan@WSTO View Post
The guys at FMU always do great job! More info on this project please
More's coming, we promise! Videos should be by the end of the week. This will be fun to record.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

i'm confused. so no air filter???
      06-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #27
FluidMotorUnion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
i'm confused. so no air filter???
Correct, no air filter.

We typically follow the notion that anything small enough to actually enter the engine bay, float around and end up inside the ITB is small enough to be burnt up in the combustion chamber.

Granted, there's due to be a bit more cylinder scratching due to the particulate that ends up in there, and there's more frequent oil changes to ensure that everything is clean and functional. I think it's best to copy what our lead engineer said about this:

"And no, there are no air filters. As much as Andrew (the face behind the Fluid posts) wants to believe that we have figured out everything there is to figure out behind running an engine without filters even though it has been considered a necessity for many years by engineers with way more experience...we haven't. What we do know is we have ran cars for many miles (20k+) with no apparent damage to the engine as long as we change the oil on a more frequent basis.

In our experience it just makes for a higher maintenance vehicle...and with cars, just like with women, the right type of high maintenance means...well...you know...something about sound, flow, and more frequent lubrication of vital parts."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
Rep

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

Arrow Velocity Stacks

Found this on the net thought it looked very badass!
"FluidMotorUnion" @Luxury4Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
...Then the Grim Reaper started messing around with our CAD files...

...And this came out.

Made entirely from 6061-grade aluminum, this new velocity stack set for the E9x M3 was conceived, designed, cut out and assembled in-house at Fluid MotorUnion. Our system incorporates an Aquamist water-methanol injection system, which runs from the tank in the back to a specially-designed manifold that splits up the 6mm inlet to eight 4mm direct-injection nozzles, which are placed at the ends of the arms that stretch over each individual stack. The tubing from the manifold to the nozzles, just like on the DCM3, are fed through specific channels in the arms themselves. When all’s said and done, it looks like the grim reaper’s put his special touch on this system.

You may notice a couple nozzles are missing. We’re getting them ASAP, but we didn’t want to delay this entire post (and all the picture-taking behind it) just because of a couple small nozzles. If you’ll be at Supercar Saturdays this coming week (and if not, I suggest you come see what it’s all about), we’ll be displaying the final product there, as well.

We’d like to think it turned out well. Only time will tell, however. We still have to mount the AN fittings to the catch can and finish routing that system, too. After we get the nozzles and remainder of the catch can installed, we’re going to try and get some videos of the sound, and perhaps a dyno run or two. It’s all on the way.

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #29
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Correct, no air filter.

We typically follow the notion that anything small enough to actually enter the engine bay, float around and end up inside the ITB is small enough to be burnt up in the combustion chamber.

Granted, there's due to be a bit more cylinder scratching due to the particulate that ends up in there, and there's more frequent oil changes to ensure that everything is clean and functional. I think it's best to copy what our lead engineer said about this:

"And no, there are no air filters. As much as Andrew (the face behind the Fluid posts) wants to believe that we have figured out everything there is to figure out behind running an engine without filters even though it has been considered a necessity for many years by engineers with way more experience...we haven't. What we do know is we have ran cars for many miles (20k+) with no apparent damage to the engine as long as we change the oil on a more frequent basis.

In our experience it just makes for a higher maintenance vehicle...and with cars, just like with women, the right type of high maintenance means...well...you know...something about sound, flow, and more frequent lubrication of vital parts."
Great explanation and analogy

On a more serious note, how frequent are we talking?
      06-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
FluidMotorUnion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Great explanation and analogy

On a more serious note, how frequent are we talking?
Somebody on StanceWorks mentioned every 1k miles or so...but I don't think we change the oil that frequently.

If I had to guess, probably between 1500-2500 miles. Not too much more, just a bit. It doesn't go out very much, though, as its harnesses were leant to our E39-M5-swapped 740i for MFest in Vegas (we realized the day before that we bought seats and made a harness bar, but didn't order harnesses).

But now that the E90's the queen of the kingdom again, we'll probably follow the schedule of 1.5k-2.5k oil changes. We're a full service garage along with fabrication, so it's pretty painless to change the oil whenever is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)

Garage List
this is really interesting sir.
      06-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #32
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

*subscribed*

"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #33
Navypat46
Butters
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

looks very well made
      06-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #34
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

What kind of gains would one expect from the stacks alone?

I'm guessing the water/meth is only for blown engines?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #35
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Bavarian

wow
      06-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #36
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Car already has individual TBs . Those are just a cosmetic modification (a gimmick IMO) that's going to prevent using air filter(s). And calling those sprayers 'direct injection'? Come on. Wonder who's going to buy that contraption .
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #37
Spyros E81
Private
Greece
Rep

Drives: BMW 116i E81

And the sound....Amazing!!! http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/video#
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #38
onnex
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.67]
Send a message via AIM to onnex
yes please
      06-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Somebody on StanceWorks mentioned every 1k miles or so...but I don't think we change the oil that frequently.

If I had to guess, probably between 1500-2500 miles. Not too much more, just a bit. It doesn't go out very much, though, as its harnesses were leant to our E39-M5-swapped 740i for MFest in Vegas (we realized the day before that we bought seats and made a harness bar, but didn't order harnesses).

But now that the E90's the queen of the kingdom again, we'll probably follow the schedule of 1.5k-2.5k oil changes. We're a full service garage along with fabrication, so it's pretty painless to change the oil whenever is necessary.
Oh wow, thats a lot more often than I expected. For local future buyers of your stacks, you guys should make "Frequent Oil Change" punch cards. After 9 oil changes, get the 10th one FREE!!!

Thanks again for sharing the information. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the gains you guys make with these stacks, meth, and tune.
      06-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #40
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Great fabrication skills. The design of the meth distribution system is sexy. I'd never personally run a car without a filter, but to each his own. I'm sure this car has a different purpose than my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #41
admranger
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What kind of gains would one expect from the stacks alone?

I'm guessing the water/meth is only for blown engines?
Exactly how are they going to blow the engine? The stacks would have to be in a manifold to maintain pressure from any super or turbo charger. It's likely to help cool the intake charge of air and maybe lower the possibility of knocking. However, I am not a fan as one failure of a nozzle end or leak and you have just ruined your engine.

I do give them a 10 for machining and hard parking capabilities though!

I agree with elp_jc on the air filter too. You need a big honkin' oval air filter to fit over that mess somehow (which eliminates the asthetics of the system) or I guess you could stuff a clown's nose in each of them. Red means race-ready, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #42
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Stock S65B40 for me. Thanks. That looks cool and all, but I would not mess with this engine. It's nearly perfect as is... The exception being that it is not the S65 from the GTS

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #43
FluidMotorUnion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow, thats a lot more often than I expected. For local future buyers of your stacks, you guys should make "Frequent Oil Change" punch cards. After 9 oil changes, get the 10th one FREE!!!
I like the way you think!

Quote:
Thanks again for sharing the information. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the gains you guys make with these stacks, meth, and tune.
We are, too. All to come soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #44
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Exactly how are they going to blow the engine? The stacks would have to be in a manifold to maintain pressure from any super or turbo charger. It's likely to help cool the intake charge of air and maybe lower the possibility of knocking. However, I am not a fan as one failure of a nozzle end or leak and you have just ruined your engine.

I do give them a 10 for machining and hard parking capabilities though!

I agree with elp_jc on the air filter too. You need a big honkin' oval air filter to fit over that mess somehow (which eliminates the asthetics of the system) or I guess you could stuff a clown's nose in each of them. Red means race-ready, right?
I just assumed there's going to be some manifold over all that. Who the hell would run a $25,000 motor fully exposed to the elements?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0