BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,494
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
TE37SL + Kw v3 + ad08 hitting issues?

I'm running Te37SL 18x9.5 et22 with ad08 265/35/18 and hitting the strut, anyone else have this issue? It looks like I need a 5mm spacer to clear, is this a good idea?
__________________

EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (2)

I'm running 265 PSS's on 18x9.5et23 R40 wheels with RS1 dampers and 2.25" ID springs (with helper springs). I measured the min clearance for kaiv and, in my case, I have 0.35" of clearance between the tire sidewall and lower spring mount/collar. My previous damper setup, which used 60 mm ID main springs, still had ~0.15" of clearance.

The AD08 has a very square shoulder so I wonder if it's the shoulder that's causing you're clearance issue with a 9.5et22 wheel? The V3's use a stock-style (tapered) front spring, correct? Your clearance issue is between the damper body, not the lower spring mount/collar?
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,494
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I'm running 265 PSS's on 18x9.5et23 R40 wheels with RS1 dampers and 2.25" ID springs (with helper springs). I measured the min clearance for kaiv and, in my case, I have 0.35" of clearance between the tire sidewall and lower spring mount/collar. My previous damper setup, which used 60 mm ID main springs, still had ~0.15" of clearance.

The AD08 has a very square shoulder so I wonder if it's the shoulder that's causing you're clearance issue with a 9.5et22 wheel? The V3's use a stock-style (tapered) front spring, correct? Your clearance issue is between the damper body, not the lower spring mount/collar?
its the colar, and I just purchased a 5mm spacer to try and hopefully it will take care of it
__________________

EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
David@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
David@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

With the KW Variants/ ST Coilovers, you would hit either the spring perch or the bottom of the spring itself with the V shaped springs, not the strut itself. In order to fix this issue with wider wheels, you would want to switch to a linear spring.

With the 18x9.5" ET22 fitment, depending on your ride height and street tire size choice (265/35/18 AD08s in your case), the tire may hit the spring perch or spring (in which you mentioned it does), so you can add a small 5mm spacer to push the tire out away from the spring perch or spring. This is not detrimental to your car's performance at all, but if you don't want to use a spacer, you can go with the 255/35/18 street tire size, where you should be able to clear the front with no clearance issues without the need for a small spacer. You can also raise the ride height of your car so that the spring perch is above the wheel and tire so that the tire doesn't hit the perch. However, the best solution in our opinion is to change the KW V-shaped springs to the 6" linear race springs for proper fitment and to be able to run the 265/35/18 tire that you have.

The KW spring perch accepts a 60mm spring, thus you should look for a 6" 60mm spring from Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, or H&R. This will allow you to remove your V shaped spring and raise the lower spring perch higher.

KW Clubsports have a similar issue with the 18x10" ET25 wheel due to the helper spring that it utilizes, thus also needing a small spacer or removal of the helper spring (since the CS already uses linear race springs) to raise the spring perch up above the wheel & tire.

Last edited by David@ApexRaceParts; 12-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.
David@ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,647
iTrader: (5)

I run a 265/35 RS3 with RS1 coils and no rubbing as a reference.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,494
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
With the KW Variants/ ST Coilovers, you would hit either the spring perch or the bottom of the spring itself with the V shaped springs, not the strut itself. In order to fix this issue with wider wheels, you would want to switch to a linear spring.

With the 18x9.5" ET22 fitment, depending on your ride height and street tire size choice (265/35/18 AD08s in your case), the tire may hit the spring perch or spring (in which you mentioned it does), so you can add a small 5mm spacer to push the tire out away from the spring perch or spring. This is not detrimental to your car's performance at all, but if you don't want to use a spacer, you can go with the 255/35/18 street tire size, where you should be able to clear the front with no clearance issues without the need for a small spacer. You can also raise the ride height of your car so that the spring perch is above the wheel and tire so that the tire doesn't hit the perch. However, the best solution in our opinion is to change the KW V-shaped springs to the 6" linear race springs for proper fitment and to be able to run the 265/35/18 tire that you have.

The KW spring perch accepts a 60mm spring, thus you should look for a 6" 60mm spring from Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, or H&R. This will allow you to remove your V shaped spring and raise the lower spring perch higher.

KW Clubsports have a similar issue with the 18x10" ET25 wheel due to the helper spring that it utilizes, thus also needing a small spacer or removal of the helper spring (since the CS already uses linear race springs) to raise the spring perch up above the wheel & tire.
Thank you David, I ordered some spacers from you guys and hope it fixes it until i get another setup
__________________

EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 730
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
With the KW Variants/ ST Coilovers, you would hit either the spring perch or the bottom of the spring itself with the V shaped springs, not the strut itself. In order to fix this issue with wider wheels, you would want to switch to a linear spring.

With the 18x9.5" ET22 fitment, depending on your ride height and street tire size choice (265/35/18 AD08s in your case), the tire may hit the spring perch or spring (in which you mentioned it does), so you can add a small 5mm spacer to push the tire out away from the spring perch or spring. This is not detrimental to your car's performance at all, but if you don't want to use a spacer, you can go with the 255/35/18 street tire size, where you should be able to clear the front with no clearance issues without the need for a small spacer. You can also raise the ride height of your car so that the spring perch is above the wheel and tire so that the tire doesn't hit the perch. However, the best solution in our opinion is to change the KW V-shaped springs to the 6" linear race springs for proper fitment and to be able to run the 265/35/18 tire that you have.

The KW spring perch accepts a 60mm spring, thus you should look for a 6" 60mm spring from Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, or H&R. This will allow you to remove your V shaped spring and raise the lower spring perch higher.

KW Clubsports have a similar issue with the 18x10" ET25 wheel due to the helper spring that it utilizes, thus also needing a small spacer or removal of the helper spring (since the CS already uses linear race springs) to raise the spring perch up above the wheel & tire.
Does the V3 have the same problem like the CS? I am planning to run 18x10 +25 with 265/35 RS3s in the front for next season, will there be any clearence problem? I test fitted the wheels and drove around for a couple days and haven't noticed any rubbing, just want to make sure tho... Thanks..
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,494
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
Does the V3 have the same problem like the CS? I am planning to run 18x10 +25 with 265/35 RS3s in the front for next season, will there be any clearence problem? I test fitted the wheels and drove around for a couple days and haven't noticed any rubbing, just want to make sure tho... Thanks..
you should be fine, the ad08s from my research seem to be more squared which cause them to have issues
__________________

EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
David@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
David@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
Does the V3 have the same problem like the CS? I am planning to run 18x10 +25 with 265/35 RS3s in the front for next season, will there be any clearence problem? I test fitted the wheels and drove around for a couple days and haven't noticed any rubbing, just want to make sure tho... Thanks..
The KW V3s will have clearance issues with the 18x10" ET25 due to it's width if your spring perch is not above the wheel and tire. You would need a spacer if you are at a low ride height and the wheel is hitting the spring perch or the spring itself. We would suggest for you to switch to a 60mm linear race spring as it resolves the clearance issue for the 18x10" ET25 wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
you should be fine, the ad08s from my research seem to be more squared which cause them to have issues
The Hankook RS-3s are actually wider than the AD08s, and have a squared shoulder as well. They're one of the widest street tires I've seen.
David@ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,734
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs_lm View Post
Does the V3 have the same problem like the CS? I am planning to run 18x10 +25 with 265/35 RS3s in the front for next season, will there be any clearence problem? I test fitted the wheels and drove around for a couple days and haven't noticed any rubbing, just want to make sure tho... Thanks..
Another member is running 18x10.5 +22 with a 275 RS3 on KW Clubsports with no spacers. I am running 18x10.5 +25 with a 275 RS3 and I need a 5mm spacer to clear my KW sleeve kit.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
BIU
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 A22 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

Sorry for the thread revival..

I am contemplating picking up a set of V3s and came about this thread..

Will this rubbing of the spring/perch occur if I go with 19x10 fronts ET20 with 275/30 Hankook V12s?
BIU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 715
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIU View Post
Sorry for the thread revival..

I am contemplating picking up a set of V3s and came about this thread..

Will this rubbing of the spring/perch occur if I go with 19x10 fronts ET20 with 275/30 Hankook V12s?
The fact that you are using 19" wheels compared to an 18" wheel with a smaller diameter lessens the possibility of rubbing on the spring perch. As the diameter of a wheel grows larger it also goes away from the strut. In clearing the spring perch an offset of ET20 will definitely help over using an ET25 and Hankook V12's do run much smaller than any of the other tires we are talking about in this thread. There is always the possibility of rubbing the spring or spring perch if it is positioned too low on the strut so spring perch location is very important keeping all of the other factors in mind as well.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
BIU
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 A22 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

I also had similiar thoughts..

Thanks for the confirmation
BIU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST