BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #1585
scorcherjf
Captain
 
scorcherjf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 769
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
If things go bad in China, they could unload their gold...they will also stop buying US treasuries...right now, most of treasuries being bought by China and the Fed Reserve.

When China had their overnight bank lending rates go to 25%, usually this would set gold higher as this is a "safety bet"...but this time gold sold off which is abit odd ...think the mkt is sniffing out that China could unload a bunch of physical gold onto the mkts soon.

Btw, I dont think we see a crash like 2008 within the next 6 months...but I do expect some serious selling and the start of a bear mkt...no need to try to time the exact top, cause it wont happen.
Not sure about that... China's gold reserves (at least officially stated as of 2009) is 1,054 tonnes which accounts for a mere 1.6% of their foreign exchange reserves. Most people think China has accumulated more since their last official statement but even so, it's still a very small fraction compared to other countries. The U.S. has over 8,000 tonnes in comparison, about 75% of our foreign exchange reserves.

When people fear that China will sell off their U.S. treasuries, my question then becomes what (or rather, who's debt) do they buy to replace it?
__________________
scorcherjf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #1586
mact3333
Captain
 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Lost all my faith in BBRY. Might cut my losses and just get out and not look back. They had so much potential upside and they fucked up big time.
sorry you're still holding bbry...sold mine long time ago...i should have posted this few days ago...I was at ATT store few days ago getting my kid a iphone 5 and I asked the guy how the BBRY phone was doing and he said "not doing very well, nobody is buying them".

Whats strange is this, none of my corporate friends who have older style BBRY's have the new one...now this one surprises me...I have to think the corporate guys will switch to the new BBRY phones soon.
mact3333 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #1587
Kwando
Captain
 
Kwando's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M2 (F87)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, Ontario

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

NDLS off to a roar start today.
Kwando is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #1588
schoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SD

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
sorry you're still holding bbry...sold mine long time ago...i should have posted this few days ago...I was at ATT store few days ago getting my kid a iphone 5 and I asked the guy how the BBRY phone was doing and he said "not doing very well, nobody is buying them".

Whats strange is this, none of my corporate friends who have older style BBRY's have the new one...now this one surprises me...I have to think the corporate guys will switch to the new BBRY phones soon.
That's because most companies switched over to iPhones in the interim, and no one wants to switch back. At least that's what happened in my company.
schoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #1589
mact3333
Captain
 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

time to make new all time highs...took some new long positions yesterday and today.
mact3333 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #1590
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 809
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
NDLS off to a roar start today.
It's going pretty HAM. I can see it being the next Chipotle.
__________________
RSI, LLC | Fender Rolling | Suspension | Other Stuff
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #1591
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 809
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
sorry you're still holding bbry...sold mine long time ago...i should have posted this few days ago...I was at ATT store few days ago getting my kid a iphone 5 and I asked the guy how the BBRY phone was doing and he said "not doing very well, nobody is buying them".

Whats strange is this, none of my corporate friends who have older style BBRY's have the new one...now this one surprises me...I have to think the corporate guys will switch to the new BBRY phones soon.
I liquidated half my shares at $10 ($13.79 avg). Hurt real bad.
__________________
RSI, LLC | Fender Rolling | Suspension | Other Stuff
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #1592
Kwando
Captain
 
Kwando's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M2 (F87)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, Ontario

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

So you're still in for half? BBRY seems to be a goner
Kwando is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #1593
PSUSMU
Captain
 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA

Posts: 809
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
So you're still in for half? BBRY seems to be a goner
I have no faith that it will ever get back over $14, but I may hold until next ER to see if it creeps back to $12ish.
__________________
RSI, LLC | Fender Rolling | Suspension | Other Stuff
PSUSMU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #1594
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
time to make new all time highs...took some new long positions yesterday and today.
You believe we will go all the way up and make new all time high? The SPX has been struggling with the 50MA and sold off every time it gets close. It seems like we are still in a neutral territory with all the dojis on daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
I liquidated half my shares at $10 ($13.79 avg). Hurt real bad.
Ouch, my good friend got in at 15.50 and added again at $14. This is why I don't hold anything through earnings..
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #1595
RandomHero
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335i e92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin,tx

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
You believe we will go all the way up and make new all time high? The SPX has been struggling with the 50MA and sold off every time it gets close. It seems like we are still in a neutral territory with all the dojis on daily.
There's a hell of a lot of people sitting on the sidelines waiting to get back in the market right now. I see the potential of dipping down to 1550 and then when everyone gets back in we hit 1700+.

You also have to factor in the fact that bond interest rates rose significantly over the past 2 months. Bond funds are getting killed right now. Many people are flocking to equities in order to get any kind of a yield right now. Floating rate, high yield, and negative duration are about the only bond funds classes I'm using right now.
RandomHero is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #1596
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
There's a hell of a lot of people sitting on the sidelines waiting to get back in the market right now. I see the potential of dipping down to 1550 and then when everyone gets back in we hit 1700+.

You also have to factor in the fact that bond interest rates rose significantly over the past 2 months. Bond funds are getting killed right now. Many people are flocking to equities in order to get any kind of a yield right now. Floating rate, high yield, and negative duration are about the only bond funds classes I'm using right now.
I have been sitting on the sidelines also and day trade only. Don't want to get chopped up going long until the market confirms.
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #1597
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

i don't do charts, but notice the dow has zig-zagged around 15k ever since shooting past the old all-time high of 14.2. can't break through.
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #1598
RandomHero
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335i e92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin,tx

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
I have been sitting on the sidelines also and day trade only. Don't want to get chopped up going long until the market confirms.
Day trading is gambling to me.

I find significant value in using research and analysis in order to make educated guesses on what the market will do over the long term. To me that is investing.

If you can do it, then more power to you, but the majority of day traders (somewhere in the 90% range) fail. About 80% of them fail in the first year so if you've made in longer than that, you're certainly the minority.
RandomHero is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1599
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Day trading is gambling to me.

I find significant value in using research and analysis in order to make educated guesses on what the market will do over the long term. To me that is investing.

If you can do it, then more power to you, but the majority of day traders (somewhere in the 90% range) fail. About 80% of them fail in the first year so if you've made in longer than that, you're certainly the minority.
Trading in general is gambling in some ways. You can lose just as much money swing trading or long term investing.

If you are able to use technical analysis on the daily chart, there is no difference with technical analysis on the 15 minute, 5 minute, 2 minute chart.

Full time trading in general has a low success rate. Whether it is swing trading or day trading. Most successful traders are the traders that buy and hold long term and don't rely on trading as a income. With that said, most full time traders know that day trading is where all the money is at.
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #1600
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

it is gambling, with heavily asymmetric information.

what, you think those hedge fund hotshots are just the luckiest guys in new york?
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #1601
Hisam135i
Major
 
Hisam135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,160
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls
it is gambling, with heavily asymmetric information.

what, you think those hedge fund hotshots are just the luckiest guys in new york?
Ever heard of financial mathematics? If you know your probabilities, is it still luck?
__________________
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Hisam135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #1602
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisam135i View Post
Ever heard of financial mathematics? If you know your probabilities, is it still luck?
yeah, but have you heard of big wig tips?

insider trading is about as illegal as politicians lying
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #1603
RandomHero
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335i e92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Austin,tx

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Trading in general is gambling in some ways. You can lose just as much money swing trading or long term investing.

If you are able to use technical analysis on the daily chart, there is no difference with technical analysis on the 15 minute, 5 minute, 2 minute chart.

Full time trading in general has a low success rate. Whether it is swing trading or day trading. Most successful traders are the traders that buy and hold long term and don't rely on trading as a income. With that said, most full time traders know that day trading is where all the money is at.
Sure, it's gambling. However, there is a big difference between a slot machine and poker. You can have a hot streak at the slots and win some big money, but ultimately, the odds are heavily against you. You can lose with the best hand at poker, but over time, you will come out ahead.

And I'm not talking about any minute or even day change. I'm talking about general market cycles and fluctuations over several months,.


Again, if you can do it, then you're a better man than me, but only 1 in 10 people makes money day trading. Right now, it's extremely easy with the market doing so well and with as much short term volatility as we've realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisam135i View Post
Ever heard of financial mathematics? If you know your probabilities, is it still luck?
There's no such thing as luck, but if you have a 49.999% or less probability of coming out ahead and you manage to do so, you've essentially beaten the odds.

History has shown that the S&P has averaged about 12-13% over the past 30 years. Again, the average day trader has an 80% chance of losing money and failing in their first year. I'm a numbers guy so those are pretty big points with me.

Can you make money day trading? Absolutely. Do most people make money? No.

And sorry Grubba, but you're on my ignore list. It's probably for the best.
RandomHero is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #1604
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

^ ok, i get ignored (and announced) by a guy i've never written to. can we say attention whore? anyway. must be somebody, not. (don't let this happen to you, lurkers)

somewhat original, but that's pretty bad lol

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 07-03-2013 at 02:21 AM.
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #1605
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
Sure, it's gambling. However, there is a big difference between a slot machine and poker. You can have a hot streak at the slots and win some big money, but ultimately, the odds are heavily against you. You can lose with the best hand at poker, but over time, you will come out ahead.

And I'm not talking about any minute or even day change. I'm talking about general market cycles and fluctuations over several months,.


Again, if you can do it, then you're a better man than me, but only 1 in 10 people makes money day trading. Right now, it's extremely easy with the market doing so well and with as much short term volatility as we've realized.
The odds are always against you in any trades or else there wouldn't be NYSE. Just like how the odds will always be against you in the casino or else they wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar industry. With that said, day trading, just like any other type of trading requires a strategy and a system. I don't just enter any trade without any technical analysis beforehand.

I started out as a longer term investor then slowly moved onto swing trading. Then I used my technical analysis skills to day trade.
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #1606
mact3333
Captain
 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

we will approach or make new all time highs...then we shall drop...then one last all time high but it will barely make new highs with declining momentum each time...almost like a triple top look to it....then we start the tanking process.

Go back and read my posts about the general markets...the moves are called in advance...
mact3333 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST