BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Yesterday, 03:11 AM   #1
mvvette97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Anybody have they tonsils removed as an aduly?

Have to go in the 6th of Feb for the surgery. Kinda freaked out and starting to worry myself sick. I'm 40 years old so that doesn't help. Had a surgery when I was like 16 and was also put out for an upper scope for stomach problems and didn't have a problem bit not liking the idea of being put under for fear I won't wake up or something. Anybody have this done and what was it like? Is it a safe surgery?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #2
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

Make sure you ask for plenty of narcs.
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Eh, I was 21 I think when I had mine done, so kind of an adult. It wasn't a big deal. The surgery itself is pretty quick, I think I was out for maybe a couple of hours at most.

Just be careful with what you eat afterwards, since anything crusty or hard can cause bleeding. If you start bleeding you may want to go to the ER... Typically they cauterize the spots in your throat nowadays but if you open them back up they really won't stop bleeding. I didn't have any issues, but heard of others that didn't follow advice and went right back to eating hard foods and were in the ER soon after because blood was gushing from their mouths.

They gave me a ton of tylenol with codeine too but I never used half of what they gave me so I gave it back to the pharmacy. The pain really isn't that bad.
      Yesterday, 09:51 AM   #4
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Had a friend go this closer to 50 and he was miserable! The surgery is simple so wouldn't worry about that. It's the days after... My friend lost 7 pounds because he had real trouble swallowing after the surgery.

Templar gives good advice, stick to soft foods for a few days to avoid bleeding. Take your pain meds regularly. Don't wait until it starts to hurt! If the prescription says take every 4 hours, take it every 4 hours! At least for the first couple days... Once it starts to hurt, it's too late.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #5
mvvette97
Private
Rep

This sure doesn't sound good to me
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (RIP) - 2006 Z4MR

We had a friend in college who had his tonsils removed. When he came back he was full blown gay, now I'm not saying there's a correlation between having your tonsils removed and loving men, but... maybe.

I still have mine, however I dread these ticking time bombs in my throat, although I have never had any issues with them thus far (except tonsil stones) knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #7
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Nah, you'll be fine. Just follow the doctors orders and take your meds... I will say I'm glad I had this done when I was six years old! Of course that was back in the sixties and they took them out at the first sign of trouble. A day of bed rest and ice cream and I was good to go.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #8
mvvette97
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
We had a friend in college who had his tonsils removed. When he came back he was full blown gay, now I'm not saying there's a correlation between having your tonsils removed and loving men, but... maybe.

I still have mine, however I dread these ticking time bombs in my throat, although I have never had any issues with them thus far (except tonsil stones) knock on wood.
Your first comment about being gay i got a kick out of, haha. my friends have been giving me a hard time making gay comments about it as well. haha
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #9
///3dkn
Keeping it Gangster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Are you sure you want to do this??

I'm 31 years old and I'm actually on day 5 of my recovery. Surgery was safe. But let me tell you, this shit sucks! For medication, I was given oxycodone, liquid Tylenol, and a codeine mouthwash. Take your meds! You're going to need it and make a simple alarm clock schedule to help you log and keep track of when to take your meds.

I'm not hating life as much as I did on day 3 but it still sucks right now nonetheless. My tongue and throat is sore as shit and I can't swallow anything without it hurting. It's hard to talk. My scabs are still there and hopefully they fall out soon. Also my breath stinks really bad right now and the irony of it is that, my reason for getting them removed is tonsil stones.

The first few days I was eating apple sauce and jello and yogurt and Popsicles. Day 3 I started eating mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs, and last night I had a real dinner but I took forever to eat it coz it still hurts to swallow. But I feel like the pain has plateaued and hopefully I've seen the worst and I've lost about 8 lbs so far.

I don't wish this on anybody. I'm glad I did it but I would never want to do it again. And I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. The funny thing is, before my surgery, all the doctors involved with my surgery came up and asked me the reason why I came in for surgery today. I could have sworn I said "...to get a tonsillectomy." about 7 times.. Knowing in the back of their minds they knew the awful pain and aftermath this surgery provides and how much I'll be hating life.

Good luck to ya.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #10
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3dkn View Post
Are you sure you want to do this??

I'm 31 years old and I'm actually on day 5 of my recovery. Surgery was safe. But let me tell you, this shit sucks...
Good luck to ya.
Never take advice about a surgery from someone who is in the acute recovery phase, lol. I have an adult ENT practice so most of the tonsillectomies I do are on people 20-40. I always see them back after 3 weeks -- because that's when they like me again.

I've never had an adult regret a tonsillectomy (after 3 weeks).

My spiel:
3rd week is scratchy and annoying but well tolerated.
2nd week is like strep throat.
1st week is worse.

I prescribe 60 percocet. I recommend taking them every 4-6 hours for the first few days to stay ahead of the pain. Catching up is almost impossible. I also don't care what you eat, but drink THREE LITERS of water daily. Dehydration will dry the throat and make the pain infinitely worse. Tonsillectomy is a 10 lb weight loss plan, but I don't charge extra for that. I've had a few pts come into the ER at day 8 in agony. They get 2L of IV fluids and walk out feeling fine. It makes that much of a difference.

Greatest bleed risk is day 7-8 as the whitish exudates slough off. A little spotting is ok. A frank bleed needs to be seen in the ER.

If you have a deviated septum and don't breath well through your nose, get a humidifier because mouth breathing at night will dry out the throat and make it much worse.

Tonsillectomy sucks. But, for those who have chronic problems from the little buggers, 2 weeks is a small price to pay (plus the $6-8k) to make them go away forever.
Appreciate 0