BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #67
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Kyoshi71's Avatar
35
Rep
2,528
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
More likely is that the BMW engineer was told that the owner had installed a non-BMW exhaust and he found evidence that the third party installer had caused or contributed to the subframe/Diff failure.
Now we're getting somewhere.
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #68
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,624
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Dealership does not want to pay $9K. That is all.
The dealership reclaims money spent on warranty work from BMW so they couldn't care less.
Given how litigious N. America is, its reasonable to assume the engineer that BMW sent to inspect the car had a good case to reject the damage as not covered by the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #69
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
No one can interpret your subtle, delicate, shaded undertones of literary beauty... Come on get with the program. What you wrote is still patently false and now you are both back pedaling and refusing to discuss it. I'm not trying to be difficult, nor attack you, it is just what you wrote is so blatantly false. Heck, I also agree with your overall opinion that one should not abuse expensive hardware. Nonetheless your statements veracity is also independent of whether or not you consider an M3 to be an expensive car. Any reasonable reader would assume your initial comment was refering to an M3. Furthermore even if you weren't, smart owners of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's also launch their cars, some of them do it often. Do you need a bloody youtube video of someone showing their Doctorate diploma and launching a Veyron to see your mistake?
You are wasting your breath. He often makes ridiculous, arrogant, and inaccurate statements then "signs off" the thread when challenged. It's pretty funny really.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #70
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
The dealership reclaims money spent on warranty work from BMW so they couldn't care less.
Given how litigious N. America is, its reasonable to assume the engineer that BMW sent to inspect the car had a good case to reject the damage as not covered by the warranty.
Not exactly. Dealerships don't want to have to request more than what's expected from BMWNA.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #71
TX
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
I have purchased a few cars from Center, and know that dealership very well. I will find out about this.

By no means should a clutch drop be covered under warranty. Especially if it's past 4k - there is simply no need for that.

I have a feeling there is more to this, but I could be wrong.
A clutch drop without wheel hop isn't going to break a subframe and a rear diff.
There is obviously more going on here. Maybe he had some broken bolts and the drop caused the remaining bolts to fail and blew the subframe causing a diff failure.

But who knows?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #72
TX
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
I'd love to hear the dealer's side of this story.
Yes, no mention was made by the OP as to what reasoning the dealer gave. What was done to the car that caused them to void his warranty? We need more details.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #73
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You are wasting your breath. He often makes ridiculous, arrogant, and inaccurate statements then "signs off" the thread when challenged. It's pretty funny really.
And here I thought I was the only one who noticed this.


On topic - I dunno, this is like the third or fourth time I've seen a thread about this kind of failure on here. I'm starting to wonder if there may be something more to this than just "abuse".

It's been a while but I can't think of any shared mounting pieces between the rear suspension, subframe, and the exhaust. Nor do I recall it being necessary to do anything with the rear suspension in order to install or remove an exhaust. Anyone got pics to confirm?
__________________

Last edited by FStop7; 06-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #74
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
kaykay's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Get a lawyer
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #75
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

It's been a while but I can't think of any shared mounting pieces between the rear suspension, subframe, and the exhaust. Nor do I recall it being necessary to do anything with the rear suspension in order to install or remove an exhaust. Anyone got pics to confirm?
I don't have pics, but they are around...saw the area the other day - probably in the DIY exhaust thread.

There are two brackets holding the exhaust to the rear frame and diff. They are mounted with two studs and two nuts. You remove the nuts to drop the metal hangers for the exhaust; the studs stay in the frame and the diff on the studs. If you don't put the nuts on tight enough, I guess the diff could slide off the studs.

I don't see the connection with the front subframe though. Although I guess if someone were misguided, they might potentially start screwing around with the tranny in the front when installing the front section of the exhaust. Maybe they just found several dents to the front subframe or a huge one and said - well, this is clearly abuse. Which it pretty much is - I mean they will ask you if you were in an accident if they find damage. If you weren't in an accident, then how did it happen?

Last edited by Singletrack; 06-24-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #76
francis_p
francis_p
Australia
1
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3 dct
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: melbourne aust.

iTrader: (0)

If I can give you a little advice, Before you do decide to go to a lawyer, next time you go to your dealer, bring along some official M3 marketing material of the cars on race tracks.

Ask them to explain wtf they are doing advertising like that, if they won't accept responsability if a car breaks because of "driving style"
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #77
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_p View Post
Ask them to explain wtf they are doing advertising like that, if they won't accept responsability if a car breaks because of "driving style"
Don't bother doing this. Waste of time. That little "abuse" clause in your warranty guide can be tossed around and bent to their will. It's a little bizarre. If there's evidence your car has been repeatedly launched via system log, I'd kiss your warranty goodbye but who knows.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #78
bohdistava
e46 convert
bohdistava's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 m3 conv
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

i seem to remember back in the day the m5 was only allowed a certain number of launchs or warranty voided. anyone else recal this?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #79
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
35
Rep
1,431
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
And here I thought I was the only one who noticed this.


On topic - I dunno, this is like the third or fourth time I've seen a thread about this kind of failure on here. I'm starting to wonder if there may be something more to this than just "abuse".

It's been a while but I can't think of any shared mounting pieces between the rear suspension, subframe, and the exhaust. Nor do I recall it being necessary to do anything with the rear suspension in order to install or remove an exhaust. Anyone got pics to confirm?
I haven't been keeping track of every single failure, but the common threads linking them all are wheel hop/launching and exhaust modifications.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #80
Totti
Troll
Totti's Avatar
Italy
24
Rep
1,192
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

What exactly is wheel hop? Is it the 'chirping' in between shifts when you dump clutch?
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #81
///My5UV
Lurker
///My5UV's Avatar
6
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
What exactly is wheel hop? Is it the 'chirping' in between shifts when you dump clutch?
No, it's usually in 1st gear when the wheels break traction, but due to the road surface and tire condition, instead of just spinning on the ground, they get traction on and off, which causes the tires to hop up and down. So you send sharp shocks of force into the drivetrain and suspension bigger than you get from any normal max-throttle driving. It tears stuff up pretty quickly if you don't recognize the problem and ease off the throttle. The rubber bushings in the diff, trans and engine mounts help absorb some of the shock, along with the rubber driveshaft guibo, but it will find any weak points like bolts that weren't torqued properly.

This is not something you see in normal road racing that you could argue an M3 was kinda meant for. It's also not a fast way to get off the line, so you won't see it often in World Challenge or DTM, even though they have to do a hard launch to start each race.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #82
TX
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
The guy with the subframe problem got really quiet recently.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #83
///My5UV
Lurker
///My5UV's Avatar
6
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
The guy with the subframe problem got really quiet recently.
Hopefully he's working something out with the dealer and is holding off on commenting until he learns more.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #84
TX
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Hopefully he's working something out with the dealer and is holding off on commenting until he learns more.
or BMW NA took him out back and offed him for making noise about the warranty claim ;-)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #85
///My5UV
Lurker
///My5UV's Avatar
6
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

I'm curious if it's the same leased car he was trying to unload, but I'm too lazy to go back and read through all the threads.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #86
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
No, it's usually in 1st gear when the wheels break traction, but due to the road surface and tire condition, instead of just spinning on the ground, they get traction on and off, which causes the tires to hop up and down. So you send sharp shocks of force into the drivetrain and suspension bigger than you get from any normal max-throttle driving. It tears stuff up pretty quickly if you don't recognize the problem and ease off the throttle. The rubber bushings in the diff, trans and engine mounts help absorb some of the shock, along with the rubber driveshaft guibo, but it will find any weak points like bolts that weren't torqued properly.

This is not something you see in normal road racing that you could argue an M3 was kinda meant for. It's also not a fast way to get off the line, so you won't see it often in World Challenge or DTM, even though they have to do a hard launch to start each race.
Excellent explanation. Too bad it went over the head of 90% of the people on this thread.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #87
///My5UV
Lurker
///My5UV's Avatar
6
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

If I've learned anything from having a 5 year old son, it's that if you tell somebody something often enough it'll eventually sink in :-)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #88
spyderco10
Colonel
spyderco10's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,425
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

any updates?
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST