BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
You will need a daily driver, its very simple, gas mileage
Ex-s2000 owner here, current e92 m3 owner.

Anyway, I'd disagree that you will 'need' a daily driver. Especially if you live in a state that doesn't get snow.

My e92 M3 is 100x more practical than my 06 s2000. Do I miss it.... hell no.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

With a back ground like yours (S2K
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
I know I'm posting in an M3 forum, so I have expectations as to what the replies will be, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I'm not a complete BMW stranger. I had an S2000 for many years, then sold it and bought a 335i in early 2007. I drove the 335 for almost 3 years, but got a little tired of the HPFP failure issues, and also missed the S2000 as it was a little more fun to drive. So I got rid of the 335, and picked up another S2000, then got a TSX to daily drive as well. That's what I have now.

I like having two cars for two totally different purposes, but like probably everyone here, I've always been a huge M3 fan. Now I'm considering finally taking the plunge and getting one. The plan would be to sell both my "toy" and my daily, and just have the M3 as my only car (for that reason, I'm leaning towards the E90 so the car seat can fit in the back ). I'm thinking the E90 M3 will provide all of the fun factor that the S2000 has, with the convenience and luxury of the TSX.

One glaring issue is that I've never driven one of the new M3s, so I definitely have to do that before making any real decision, but if it is all that I'm reading about, it is worth going from two cars down to just one, right?
As someone who has had two cars for many years, then gone down to one, i will say that it is not the easiest thing to do.

Now, if you simply have to own one car for economic reasons, then that is that. By choice, however, is a different story, and here's the main reason:

My second car was always a toy. I only drove it in good weather, on nice roads, and for fun. I kept it in pristine condition and I enjoyed having a toy. If it was sunny the day after a big rain storm, I wouldn't be driving around in a dirty car. No issues with kids scuffing the interior, etc, etc.

Then I went to one car. A nice car, but still one car. I can be happy with it if I have to be, but only if I have to be. I have an M3 on order. For me, it is going to be my special toy again and I am so looking forward to it.

So.....if you like having that "special toy" regardless of what type of car it is, you might find the transition to one car to be disappointing in some regards. That being said, the M3 sedan is a phenomenal thing to have, and you may not care then that it is your only car. Just don't be upset when it gets dirty, when the kids scuff the door sills or spill something, when you get a door ding from the supermarket parking lot, etc, etc.
      06-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I've never driven an S2000, but I've heard amazing things about it. That being said, there's something obviously very special about an M3. I am biased, but I think this especially applies to the E90 sedan. It is so much fun to hit the track in a 4-door "practical car" and not shame yourself among 911s, 370Zs, and Corvettes. And while the S2000 has a stratospheric redline even higher than the M3's, it's not a V8. The engine in this car is truly special, and most likely will not be continued in the future in the BMW line. Get one while you can.

Based on the above comments, the S2000 is very reliable and cheap to maintain. If this is a concern, just keep the M3 during the warranty period/free scheduled maintenance period.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #27
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Good posts everyone, especially from the former and current S2000 owners in here. The "disconnected" comments are important. There's no doubt the S2K is a special car. Maybe the best 6sp manual you can find, and a visceral, fun car to drive. When I bought my second S2K, I fully planned to keep the car for a long, long time. It is extremely reliable, and I know enough under the hood to keep it up myself or fix minor things that could go wrong.

Unfortunately, I can't have it both ways, so my choice at the moment is to keep what I have or get rid of both in favor of the M3. I'm beginning to think that as awesome as M3 ownership would be, I'd be happier keeping the S and TSX. That said, I will at least give the M3 a test drive first... that could very well swing me the other way.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm in a situation where I can't have a second car (job situation and parking garage limitations) and my e90 M3 does everything I need it to.

Transporting passengers, grocery shopping, track duty...list goes on.

The only downside obviously is the gas mileage, but that's mainly my fault because I have a lead foot in country where the police don't pull you over for speeding.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #29
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
.....So.....if you like having that "special toy" regardless of what type of car it is, you might find the transition to one car to be disappointing in some regards. That being said, the M3 sedan is a phenomenal thing to have, and you may not care then that it is your only car. Just don't be upset when it gets dirty, when the kids scuff the door sills or spill something, when you get a door ding from the supermarket parking lot, etc, etc.
It doesn't have to be that way. You can have one car but still treat it like it's your toy or baby. We use my wife's/family car (SUV) for stuff like that and you would be amazed at the shape it is still in. My car (M3) is now my daily driver minus all the normal stuff I would use the SUV for and especially on weekends. Both cars are in pristine shape and I've come to accept and live with a dirty car from time to time.

As for the S2000, sorry but I never understood the buzz that car got. If I can get into a used M3 on a sideways deal after selling the Hondas, I'd be silly not to do it regardless of the fun factor of the S2k. The M3 is more fun and there is a reason Motor Trend called it (E90 M3) the best car on earth. I just prefer the looks of the coupe but can't disagree with the article otherwise.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/05/25/mo...ll-around-car/
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #30
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Hi vbb!
Im one of the few that always have 2 cars, one for daily commuting and one for Wkend or Summer use. I say if you can afford it keep one for DD. The reason it works of me is that my daily commute is a congestion beltway and I cant see raking miles on the M and lowering its value. I also find that on occasions that I drive it, I learn to appreciate it more than driving it daily.
Im sure others also have valid points here that they will point out too.
But thats my .02 cents
Good Luck and Welcome to the M3 world
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #31
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

I had my e46 M3 as a daily driver for 5 years and am waiting for e90 M3 to replace it. M3 is already a good compromise between the daily driver and fun car. As a compromize it will never be perfect at either of roles but it is hard to find anything better if you have to have one car only. RS4 might be another option when it becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #32
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

It's always good to have a beater. Whenever I go to malls or sporting events I drive my cadillac and never take my M in fears it'd get scratched.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think the E9x is a practical daily driver that can also be entertaining. It would make a great "only" car. I have snow wheels and tires for mine. With the fold down rear seats, you can put a lot in it. I carry 2x4, 4x4, other lumber, bags of mulch or sand, car parts, construction equipment, etc., in mine all the time. I need to devise a better system to bungy cord the trunk lid down when stuff is sticking out the back, though. Still, it has its limits. I bought 6 large shelves from Lowes a while ago and could fit only 3 of them in the car so I had to make two trips.

I have two other comments, neither of which may be an issue to you if you are so wealthy that costs do not matter like some M3 owners. First, the E9x M3 is a more complex and expensive car than either the TSX or S2000, so if you buy one out of warranty and things start to go wrong, you may be unpleasantly surprised by repair bills. BMWs are nice cars, but they cost more to maintain than Hondas. To me, whatever added expense is worthwhhile because I like driving a nice car and I know BMWs are not the most reliable cars in the world because I have six of them spanning the years 1973 to 2008.

Second, the E9x M3 does not get really good gas mileage. My average city/highway is around 16.5 and I live in town of 50,000 in NH so I don't spend more time on highways and secondary roads than in city traffic. If you have a long commute, the gas cost would obviously be much higher than with a car that gets 30 mpg. On the other hand, the E9x M3 is a lot more fun to drive than most cars that get 30 mpg. There are some fast cars, though that have a double overdrive 6th gear for good highway fuel economy. A Corvette is EPA rated at 16/26, for example, while the E9X M3 is rated at 14/20.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #34
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
You will need a daily driver, its very simple, gas mileage
I'm sure the cost saved by no second car can easily make up the added cost of daily driving the M. And with a brand new M at home why would you not want to drive it all the time?
      06-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #35
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I've got an Outback.. I use it for really crappy days (-40/rocks still on road) / going to placed I won't want to park my M3 for extended periods. This has drastically reduced my car-related stress.

*I should add the Outback has been stupid reliable and cost me only $3K. So it's an option!

Last edited by stefan; 06-13-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #36
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Oh no, life is tough when you have to downgrade from a TSX and S2000 to a single M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #37
chocough
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

m3!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #38
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Test drive will tell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
One glaring issue is that I've never driven one of the new M3s, so I definitely have to do that before making any real decision, but if it is all that I'm reading about, it is worth going from two cars down to just one, right?
That's the test: Driving an M3. Either you will be unaffected (hey, it happens) or you will be doomed to obsession and stop at nothing to get one.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #39
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
That's the test: Driving an M3. Either you will be unaffected (hey, it happens) or you will be doomed to obsession and stop at nothing to get one.
This is why I'd recommend not driving it. Right now you're thinking logically. Driving one can very well cause a string of uncontrollable choices driven illogically by your emotions. An M3 is generally a poor financial decision. We all know that, but we do it anyway.
      06-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #40
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am a former S2000 owner and currently have multiple cars. The S2000 is very visceral for a modern car which is what makes it special. It was fun, but I would not go back. That being said, I would much rather have an E90 M3 than the two cars you have now. One option may be to sell your TSX and buy a 335i if you are really stuck on keeping the S2000. This will get you 70% of the way to the M3. For me though, the M3 is better in every category than both of the cars you have now.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #41
paint
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

I sold my 996 C4S (modified) & my Cayene S. Bough a used Suburban & a new E90.

Life is really good. Drive the M3 as much as I can & use the truck for bad weather,hauling,moving around more that 4 people.

Wouldn't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #42
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I am a 2 car guy as well. With the M3 you can use it for a dd but for my personal needs I need to be able to drive off-site and haul heavy tools and accessories from Home Depot or the like. Also, I have and don't mind taking the M3 to do my Sunday Costco-Grocery rounds but it is so much more convenient to have a bigger car to have for these needs. Last is the reality of hauling 1-2 other adults with you; the M3 is too small for this imo. If I had to have one car then personally it wouldn't be the M3. It would probably be a X5 M or a Cayenne TT.

You have to ask yourself why you had the TSX and if those needs of having the TSX can be fulfilled with a car like the M3. Despite what a lot of people on this forum and what some Magazines say about the M3 being one of the best DD's, you need to realize the fact that they are comparing that fact to sports cars with similar performance. Can you imagine loading up an M with cement, salt for pool/water purifier, mulch, or basic furniture from ikea? Not so all around anymore, huh? In the end your needs may be different so you have to ask yourself what you need the car for and consider the IFs as well.

Last edited by a burrito; 06-13-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #43
fdelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo 6sp

I've been a two car guy for a few years, here's my last few combos:

IS350 + S2000
IS350 + E46 M3 Vert
E46 M3 Vert + E92 M3 Coupe

I'm selling my E46 soon and just sticking with E92. I think if you drive about 10k miles per year, there's no reason why E92 cannot be DD. Agreed MPG is horrible, but lets face it we didn't buy this car because we cared about MPG. What I cannot justify is the car sitting my garage while I'm paying insurance and registration (not to mention free maintenance).

S2000 was a great car but I needed more torque. IS350 was also a great car with prob the best interiors and tech of any cars to date, but it drives like a Camry. I also drove TSX before and its basically a souped up Accord.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #44
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

i have my e90 as an everyday driver. depending what mode you put it in the car feels just like any other sedan with all the creature comforts of the interior (an improvement in build quality and amenities from what I have seen in tsx/s2ks) and i can drive with my parents in the car when they come to town without any complaints of being too stiff in the suspension or too loud with the factory exhaust.

I am a firm believer that if you are going to spend money on a car that comes fully equipped with a factory warranty that is just like any non-performance car warranty coverage you may as well drive the car daily and enjoy it. BMW wouldnt have offered a 4yr/50k warranty if they didnt feel the car would live up to 4 years and 50k miles and then some.

I can put groceries in my car without hassle. luggage. golf clubs. and i even put a medium big green egg in the front seat when i bought one the other day without room for it in the trunk.

I would personally call this car your daily driver sports car. fast enough when you want it to be to out perform/corner/accelerate past most any street car and raw enough you can take it to the track and still out perform some dedicated track cars given the right set up.

let us know what you decide and if an M is in your future put some pics up as you grab one!
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0