BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source

06-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel

Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Car Polisher

Ok , I know this thread will be moved to detailing section shortly, but I want to get some answer before it is moved since most of the users visit here often.

I am new to detailing and I usually take my car to touchless Car Wash. I paid $140 last time for polishing and I prefer to do it myself from now on. Washing the car in my garage is out of the question since I live in a Condo, so what can I do myself?

I guess polishing does not need to have access to water or anything so it can be done anywhere, right ? (Sorry, again I know I am such a noob in polishing,...). Should i go ahead and buy something like this?
http://www.autogeek.net/dw849.html
Or any other suggestion?
What else do you guys use for maintaining/cleaning your car? (that doesn't need to have access to water since my condo underground parking doesn't have it)

I appreciate any help.

Cheers

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Prince_of_Persia is offline   Canada
      06-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
kibosh
Private First Class

Drives: 2011.5 E92

Check out Griot's Garage: Polisher Link

They also have some how-to videos.

I'm no expert detailer but I like the Griot's orbital.
      06-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
KTM505SX
Lieutenant

Drives: 11 E92M3 ZCP 13 Ford Raptor SC

Well,Polishing should be done right after claying the paint,which is done right after washing without any driving in between.So If you do not have a place to wash the car at home,then clay,polish and wax is gonna be hard to do..unless you bring the car home and do a complete wipe down after the wash..

That Dewalt polisher should ONLY be used by professional detail/paint guys.If you have deep swirls and cant get rid of them by hand polishing,get a Dual Action Orbital polisher and you'll be good to go.The Dewalt polisher is very unforgiving and can burn paint in a split second if not careful and experienced.

This does a great job with the right products..

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html
KTM505SX is offline   United_States
      06-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Darkstar752
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2005 Grand Cherokee

Griot's Garage is the best DA out there. Pick up some Optimum No-Rinse for waterless washing, polishes, pads, some clay, and a sealant and you have your basics.

Good luck!
      06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
radiofrequency
Field Marshall

Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP + 2014 535d xDrive

Some advice regarding your question.....

What you want is a random orbiter, not a "polisher". Rotational type polishers should only be used by professional detailers. Random orbiters used with the correct pads will do a great job for you. Several of the replies to your post have directed you to the correct vendors/websites to get help. I have experience with and own two random orbiters, the Porter Cable 7427, and the Flex XC7401 VRG. Both do a great job, however, the Flex is streets ahead, and a really quality machine. If, and only if, you are are prepared to invest the time to correct your paint, then get started down this road. If you are prepared to complete each step correctly, then you will be amazed by the results that you can obtain. I recently, post delivery, clayed, machine polished, glazed and waxed my 2011 M3 ZCP. It is amazing just how much crud you pull out of the paint during the claying portion of the process, even with a brand new car. It's very satisfying to complete the job, the first time will take you a while, but bear in mind that you are learning, the second time will take about half of the time it took you to do it the first time. Bear in mind that you will need to budget for clay, foam pads, a spray polish to lube the clay, machine polish, glaze and wax. Also get a good supply of microfiber towels, and take food care of them, they can last a long time. Some of the detail vendors have 15% off sales, I recently acquired my Flex in this manner, saving about $50. So, you will probably need to budget about $500 for the first time out, however, these materials go a long way, and you will be able to get a lot of use out of them. The Flex should last you a lifetime, it's German made, and used by some professional detailers. Good luck and happy polishing!
radiofrequency is offline   United_States
      06-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
JohnnyRoaster
Captain

Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I also have a Flex and it is a great machine.