BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Race Precision Motorsport

06-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
ajvee
Major

Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnex View Post
personally not my style of wheels so I'd sell them, and you can't go wrong with 220s. You can always powder coat them if you get bored of the look
Definitely not bored of the stock colour on the 220Ms. I always wanted a set of wheels with a bit of lip and hence I went with the Radenergies.
      06-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #24
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
I am sure I am in the minority, but I really like the look of the OEM wheels. Both the ZCP and these (actually like the 220 just a tad more if only they were 19s)... weird thing is I have always gone with aftermarket on all my previous rides. But don't see it happening this time around... just my thoughts.
      06-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #25
Edward
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

stock 220M look better The visual effect of the Radenergie do not flatter the car.
Edward is offline   United_States
      06-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #26
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
I am sure I am in the minority, but I really like the look of the OEM wheels. Both the ZCP and these (actually like the 220 just a tad more if only they were 19s)... weird thing is I have always gone with aftermarket on all my previous rides. But don't see it happening this time around... just my thoughts.
The 220Ms are 19s actually
      06-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #27
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
stock 220M look better The visual effect of the Radenergie do not flatter the car.
Would you say that the Radenergies would work better if the car had a more squarish front aka E60 M5?
      06-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #28
ajvee
Major

Guys,

More bad news

I took some advice from here and tried swapping the right and left spacers and the vibration is worse than ever! At 60 mph it feels like the front wheels are about to come off!

I was extremely deliberate about lining up the spacers and torquing the bolts in the right order.

I think I am leaning towards getting rid of these wheels guys. Even if I sorted this out now, I just don't think I have the patience to put so much attention into installing spacers while swapping wheels. This is so frustrating because none of my friends have had such signficant issues with spacers.
      06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
09E92M34ME
Captain

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

no hard feelings, but i'd go back to stock bro
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
09E92M34ME is offline   United_States
      06-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #30
M_Time
Private First Class

Drives: M3

I personally love the Rads, but agree about the 220's. Sorry to hear about the vibrations. How much thread do you have on the tires? I just replaced my front PS2's previously had a bad vibration due to the wear. Once replaced completely gone.
      06-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #31
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

I like the Radenergie's. Are you torquing the wheels while they are in the air? If you apply weight to the wheels prior to torquing them that could cause the problem.
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
      06-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #32
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
The 220Ms are 19s actually
ha! of course they are... i was thinking 219M. im a noob. either way, still like 219, 220, and 359 wheels more than aftermarkets. seems like wheels with a lip are more of an e46 thing.

edit: about your vibration, read through this thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336209
seems to have some good information on possible reasons for vibrations with spacers installed. good luck OP!

"A wheel with a beveled edge on the back will not adequately rest on the lip, resulting in a vibration because the wheel is not truly centered on the hub."
"The number one reason for wheel vibrations with spacers is rust or some other substance on the rotor hat."

Last edited by ottoblotto; 06-08-2011 at 11:34 PM.
ottoblotto is offline   Germany
      06-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #33
Maseroche
Major

Drives: '08 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I like the 220 as well and they really suit the car. Sorry that you're having all of these problems with the spacers, I'm running MS Spacers and it's been vibration free.

Maseroche is offline   Bahrain
      06-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #34
bavarian19
General

Drives: Car

I like the looks of both
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
      06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #35
RON1X
Colonel

Drives: 997.2 C2, '13 Audi Allroad

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [4.50]
i like both, but if you are having issues with the radenergies I would go back with the 220s (which always look good). wheel vibration is a huge annoyance...
RON1X is offline   No_Country
      06-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #36
MikeM5

Drives: E90 M3

i still think the rads look best on E39 M5s.

i would go back to stock and be done with the problems. even though it's nothing mechanically wrong with your car, those vibrations definitely take the fun out of driving an otherwise awesome machine.

UNSCENE MEDIA GROUP
08 E90 M3 | 13 ZC6 BRZ-L
MikeM5 is offline   Philippines
      06-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #37
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Time View Post
I personally love the Rads, but agree about the 220's. Sorry to hear about the vibrations. How much thread do you have on the tires? I just replaced my front PS2's previously had a bad vibration due to the wear. Once replaced completely gone.
Tires are brand new. I replaced my old tires thinking that it would sort out the problem
      06-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #38
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
ha! of course they are... i was thinking 219M. im a noob. either way, still like 219, 220, and 359 wheels more than aftermarkets. seems like wheels with a lip are more of an e46 thing.

edit: about your vibration, read through this thread:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336209
seems to have some good information on possible reasons for vibrations with spacers installed. good luck OP!

"A wheel with a beveled edge on the back will not adequately rest on the lip, resulting in a vibration because the wheel is not truly centered on the hub."
"The number one reason for wheel vibrations with spacers is rust or some other substance on the rotor hat."
Thanks Otto! I actually read through that entire thread before entertaining the use of spacers. Prior to these wheels, I was dead against spacers due to the potential for vibrations, and I am kicking myself for being flexible.
      06-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #39
Andrew_K_AZ
Secret Racer

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (AW/BLK)

Case for the 220s

I have the 220s on my E92 M3. I have been debating whether or not to switch to aftermarket wheels to get that extra bit of individuality, but, I kept coming back to:
  • The wheel design complements the overall design of the car (in my opinion, even more than the ZCPs)
  • The star double spokes that goes all the way to the edge of the wheels without an outside lip makes the 19" wheels look bigger than other 19" wheels and even some 20" ones.
  • The details are always visible - whereas on black finished wheels the details are unnoticeable unless you are really close to the car or in specific light situations
  • Both front and back wheels have a good amount of concavity for aggressive appearance
  • They work very well with 15mm H&R spacers & 255-35 tires in the front and 10mm H&R spacers & 275-35 tires in the rear with absolutely no rubbing or vibration and significantly improves the look & stance of the car
  • They are high quality BMW OEM and built strong making them less susceptible to bending like some aftermarket wheels (I've had some bad experiences with my previous cars)

So, I decided to individualize elsewhere......
Andrew_K_AZ is offline   United_States
      06-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #40
bzoo
Enlisted Member

Drives: e90 sedan

Quote:
Guys,

More bad news

I took some advice from here and tried swapping the right and left spacers and the vibration is worse than ever! At 60 mph it feels like the front wheels are about to come off!

I was extremely deliberate about lining up the spacers and torquing the bolts in the right order.

I think I am leaning towards getting rid of these wheels guys. Even if I sorted this out now, I just don't think I have the patience to put so much attention into installing spacers while swapping wheels. This is so frustrating because none of my friends have had such signficant issues with spacers.

I'm having the same problem on my new wheels. I've had them road forced balanced two times and an alignment but I can't get rid of the vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds! It's driving me crazy!
      06-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #41
ajvee
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I like the Radenergie's. Are you torquing the wheels while they are in the air? If you apply weight to the wheels prior to torquing them that could cause the problem.
I am hand torquing them while they are in the air and then torquing them to spec in the star pattern when they have the weight on them. Could a mistake here lead to the violent vibrations that I've described?
      06-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #42
Edward
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Would you say that the Radenergies would work better if the car had a more squarish front aka E60 M5?
I've seen them look good on both E46 M3s and E39/E60 M5s.

I think that a lot of design fundamentals factor into whether a wheel looks as amazing on a particular car as it does off the car. This is a perfect example. The E92 M3 is a fairly modernized looking design. Even more modern than the Audi S5 and other newer models such as a 997.2. Your car is both angular and fluid. The Radenergies are an older "style" wheel that has been around and was designed to suit an older looking car that has harder angles. The combination of the spokes that taper off towards the lip, with the deep right angle dish, and the spokes that bow out and curve back inward towards the rim lip compound the effect of the wheel looking small and utterly out of place on this particular car.

While the 220M is beautiful because it was designed to specifically suit this car and this car only. It has the perfect concave, yet the spokes don't curve back in towards the car as the spoke gets to the edge of the lip. They simply flatten out and even get wider at the tip of the spoke. The visual effect it has is one that makes the wheel look larger. Also all the curvatures on every facet of the wheel work in conjunction with the curves of the fender, the curves of the bumper edges, the hood dome, etc.

Keep the 220M! plus they don't wobble...which is such an awful side effect to introduce to an otherwise perfect car.
Edward is offline   United_States
      06-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
ajvee
Major

Quote:

I think that a lot of design fundamentals factor into whether a wheel looks as amazing on a particular car as it does off the car. This is a perfect example. The E92 M3 is a fairly modernized looking design. Even more modern than the Audi S5 and other newer models such as a 997.2. Your car is both angular and fluid. The Radenergies are an older "style" wheel that has been around and was designed to suit an older looking car that has harder angles. The combination of the spokes that taper off towards the lip, with the deep right angle dish, and the spokes that bow out and curve back inward towards the rim lip compound the effect of the wheel looking small and utterly out of place on this particular car.

While the 220M is beautiful because it was designed to specifically suit this car and this car only. It has the perfect concave, yet the spokes don't curve back in towards the car as the spoke gets to the edge of the lip. They simply flatten out and even get wider at the tip of the spoke. The visual effect it has is one that makes the wheel look larger. Also all the curvatures on every facet of the wheel work in conjunction with the curves of the fender, the curves of the bumper edges, the hood dome, etc.

Keep the 220M! plus they don't wobble...which is such an awful side effect to introduce to an otherwise perfect car.
This is a really eloquent expose on the M3's aesthetics. I absolutely understand what you mean about the way the wheels fit the lines of the car.

I am going to give myself a week (just so I am sure) to make a decision. My shop has been kind enough to thoroughly source the vibration to make it better.

I've really appreciated all of your inputs thus far.
      06-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #44
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

if i EVER decide to buy wheels for my car, i will be consulting you first... very well said.