BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Steve Thomas BMW

06-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
TLCanada
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 07 SG 335I, 08 E92 IB M3

Anyone swap 08 to 09 idrive controller?

Yes i know people have done it, but wanted to know if any canadians did it. its suppose to be PNP other then trim. Any issues? WE PICK UP THE M3 tomorrow..Any part #'s would be helpful to.

So our garage stable will be:
6MT 07 335 coupe with JB3 chip - my DD
Ducati 1098S Stock - my temp toy
6MT 08 27'000km E92 M3 ib coupe - wifes DD
winter SUV - TBD, think murano - wifes

I may have to upgrade my 335 to something else if wife starts mocking me...lol
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3

You can't do the swap with early 08 models. I forget the cut off, but if you do a search on the board you should be able to find the build date.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
You can't do the swap with early 08 models. I forget the cut off, but if you do a search on the board you should be able to find the build date.
It works for most March 2008 production and later. I did the conversion and had no problems, but I do remember hearing some had difficulty with the same month/year combo.

Also, keep your old iDrive. Anytime there's a software update, you'll need it installed for the update to 'take'. Otherwise something on the dealer's side recognizes there's a non-original part number on board the electronics and will prevent the update from succeeding.

Last edited by dnvrdrvr; 06-16-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
TLCanada
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
i thought it can be done as long as you are updated past the cut-off date. basically if my idrive is fully up to date for 2011, I should be good right?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
M3-Mike
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
It works for most March 2008 production and later. I did the conversion and had no problems, but I do remember hearing some had difficulty with the same month/year combo.

Also, keep your old iDrive. Anytime there's a software update, you'll need it installed for the update to 'take'. Otherwise something on the dealer's side recognizes there's a non-original part number on board the lecetronics and will prevent the update from succeeding.
So how does the new controller work? Are all the buttons recognized, or can you still only spin and click like with the old controller? Did you upgrade just for looks or for functionality?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

I got it purely for the functionality, and it works great. You'll be shocked at how much easier it is to use. All the buttons are recognized no problem.
      06-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
M3-Mike
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
I got it purely for the functionality, and it works great. You'll be shocked at how much easier it is to use. All the buttons are recognized no problem.
Very interesting... so what is the cost roughly to do this? Would I need a new center console or will the new controller just fit the existing hole? Do you have a list of part numbers needed or can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
TLCanada
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
Very interesting... so what is the cost roughly to do this? Would I need a new center console or will the new controller just fit the existing hole? Do you have a list of part numbers needed or can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
to my understanding we need a 09 - centre trim for the controller to fit, plus if doing any warranty work/updates, you will have to plug in the original controller, but the whole switch takes less then 10mins.

p.s as an alternative i heard the 5 series knob may fit, it has a leather look to it, but smaller
      06-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
Here's the thread that got me started... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277690 Read the whole thing, there's lots of good information in there (including part numbers which may have been updated since I did my conversion. I would recommend you reach out to Evan @ Tischer as he's who set me up and was fantastic at making sure I had the right parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCanada View Post
to my understanding we need a 09 - centre trim for the controller to fit, plus if doing any warranty work/updates, you will have to plug in the original controller, but the whole switch takes less then 10mins.

p.s as an alternative i heard the 5 series knob may fit, it has a leather look to it, but smaller
Yes, a new center console is part of the conversion kit that Evan sold to me. Would be interesting to see if the 5-series knob fits, but IMHO anything is better than the giant silver knob the '08s come with!