BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
edu09
Major

Drives: 2013 Frozen Black M3 ESS 650

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
JB is probably THE hardest BMW color to keep defect free. What others said is true, it will never look perfect. You just have to do your best to keep it looking as good as possible for as long as possible. It looks like you're taking the right steps. It's a lot of work to keep JB looking good, but when it's cared for properly, it can't be beat!
I agree with Raz335, I have a JB and it is the hardest color to keep it clean but no other color looks better when it is kept properly
Go to detailersdomain.com, you will find all type of products for cleaning, waxing, polishing, etc my personal choice was SwissVax Blau Weiss Premium Wax along with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid, you cannot go wrong with them,
take a look at a couple of pictures after waxing it, you wont have to do anything else for the next 3-4 months, just wash it
Attached Images

Mods: ESS VT2 650 SC / Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust / Brembo 365 kit / HRE RB2 wheels / Toyo R888 tires / KW coilover sleeve kit / OSS V4 kit / OEM Frozen Blk Rear Lip Spoiler / BMW Performance Black Grilles / BMW Wind Deflector / FB Vorsteiner Front Spoiler / FB side gills
edu09 is offline   United_States
      06-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #24
signes
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

I agree! Now on my 8th year of Jet Black M3 ownership, driving it year round including snow. Nothing looks better when freshly washed/detailed. I am okay with the occasional flaws, but understand that some people are not. Key is to have the right expectations and plan for trying to minimize flaws. I do the 2 bucket method, wash once a week, light touch when drying, occasional spot detailing and a full detail every ~6 months. Overall its been pretty good. 99% of the time, it looks great, but don't pull under the bright lights at a gas station at night...

signes is offline   United_States
      06-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral

Drives: 2007 911 Turbo

I got my Jet Black used with 46,000 miles on it. I look at it and I can tell someone else was not as concerned as I am with the paint condition.

Now I have a long way to go before I rescue the paint.
      06-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #26
rockstarm3
BMW Enthusiast

Drives: JEREZ BLACK E90 BMW M3 6MT

everytime an individual washes a car, you are scratching the paint-could be very minor scratches that you do not even see- but no matter what you will be..the goal is to minimize the level and deepness of scratches, not to mention the frequency.

To minimize this, wash car weekly, clay bar(once every 2-3 months), cleaner wax (2 months), and polish wax(2-3"").

And do not try to use anything too abrasive (i.e. worn towels) I use "the absorber" to dry the car, and it works out well.

I have swirls, even when I bought the car...What i have noticed that helps is turtle wax black edition - so far I have waxed the car twice in 4 months.

Good luck - I too get depressed when looking at the car and thinking - why on earth do i get swirls when i meticulously clean and try to protect this vehicle...

drive, enjoy and re-paint/detail when done
E90 M3 6MT| JEREZ BLACK (biiiaatcch to maintain) | 12mm Spacers Rear 15mm Front| M 6MT Aluminum Pedals| Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Valentine-1 Hardwire | Black Chrome Kidney & Side Gills| Environmental California License Plate
rockstarm3 is offline   United_States
      06-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
edu09
Major

Drives: 2013 Frozen Black M3 ESS 650

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarm3 View Post
everytime an individual washes a car, you are scratching the paint-could be very minor scratches that you do not even see- but no matter what you will be..the goal is to minimize the level and deepness of scratches, not to mention the frequency.

To minimize this, wash car weekly, clay bar(once every 2-3 months), cleaner wax (2 months), and polish wax(2-3"").

And do not try to use anything too abrasive (i.e. worn towels) I use "the absorber" to dry the car, and it works out well.

I have swirls, even when I bought the car...What i have noticed that helps is turtle wax black edition - so far I have waxed the car twice in 4 months.

Good luck - I too get depressed when looking at the car and thinking - why on earth do i get swirls when i meticulously clean and try to protect this vehicle...

drive, enjoy and re-paint/detail when done
Swissvax Blau Weiss Wax works great, just wash the car every week and it keeps shining like the first day you waxed it, it works exceptionally well on black paints
Attached Images

Mods: ESS VT2 650 SC / Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust / Brembo 365 kit / HRE RB2 wheels / Toyo R888 tires / KW coilover sleeve kit / OSS V4 kit / OEM Frozen Blk Rear Lip Spoiler / BMW Performance Black Grilles / BMW Wind Deflector / FB Vorsteiner Front Spoiler / FB side gills
edu09 is offline   United_States
      06-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #28
takashin
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3, E30 325iC

It takes clear coat 30 days to cure properly. So if you get a brand spankin' new car, just wash it for the first 30 days, then you can clay or wax it..or you risk marring the paint...

BMWCCA # 420777
takashin is offline   Japan
      06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
llis
octane chick

Drives: Ms

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Ultimately the only way to address the swirls is with claying and use of an orbital, it seems from what I've read. I have all the gear and will be taking this on sometime this summer. But with the basic two-bucket wash, polish and seal, I don't think anything compares to Zaino when it comes to dark colors. The shine is just unbelievable.

BTW this thread is gold when it comes to detailing info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States