BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
von_zoom
Captain
von_zoom's Avatar
10
Rep
915
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

VIR Track Daze June 4/5

Two happy experiences this past week end.

One, Martin D reduced his lap times after riding with me for a session to review some new lines. He reported some drivers unhappy with his increased speed - hurt feelings perhaps Nonetheless, good for him. I think his better time was contributed to better and smoother lines rather than raw speed. Nothing like seat time to help with your driving. Good job Martin.

Two, I had the pleasure of riding with dcgolfdr this past week end in his E92 - mostly stock except for brake pads and Nito Tires.
This was my second event riding with him. Great time and good demonstration of what HPDE can do for your driving ability. I wish that I had videos to share, particularly the last session where E92 and Corvette were matched - guess which one passed which - Perhaps dcgolfdr will see this post and share some thoughts with us. Thanks for the ride D.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Two happy experiences this past week end.

One, Martin D reduced his lap times after riding with me for a session to review some new lines. He reported some drivers unhappy with his increased speed - hurt feelings perhaps Nonetheless, good for him. I think his better time was contributed to better and smoother lines rather than raw speed. Nothing like seat time to help with your driving. Good job Martin.
As always Doc you made my day I know the second day my run group was happy to have me not there! With your help showing me the "race line" I really shaved off some seconds where I needed to. I still need a "bigger ball" transplant so I can get up to 130mph in the esses

Are you doing any events coming up? I know you are not doing the Mercedes event later this week but what about the Zone 2 PCA June 24/25?

I will shoot you an email...

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Sounds like you guys had a great time - nice to see fellow M3post members helping each other out.

Nice GT3 Martin - what tires were you running? (also staying hydrated is very important - that gatorade looks barely touched.....)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
dcgolfdr's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,026
Posts

 
Drives: M3 and a truck
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (11)

First off I want to say Thank you to Doc for sticking around to the very end. I can only echo what Martin said about Doc. He is awesome to have as an instructor. This was only my second time at VIR and I am new to HPDE, so I started in the green group. As the sessions progressed, driving became more and more smooth, which became faster and faster and eventually moving up to the next group. To what Doc was referring to with the Vette was the last session of the day. We were lining up to go out on track and Doc, jokingly, told one of the marshalls to tell the Vette in front of us that we are expecting a point by when we get out there. Marshall tells him but apparently didn't appreciate the comment. So we go out and guess what eventually happens, the reluctant point by from the Vette. The best part about this whole scenario was listening to Doc in the passenger seat laughing as we are bringing him in and eventually getting by. VIR is great, bit of a hike for anyone outside of NC, but well worth it. Had a great time and will be back down there for 2 days in August.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Sounds like you guys had a great time - nice to see fellow M3post members helping each other out.

Nice GT3 Martin - what tires were you running? (also staying hydrated is very important - that gatorade looks barely touched.....)
I had a beer that Doc gave me

For 19" GMG wheels I run the R888. Hot 31F Hot 33R
For 18" GMG wheels I run either RA1 or Hoosier R6.

Depends on weather because I drive to the track on whatever tire I will be running that day...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
I had a beer that Doc gave me

For 19" GMG wheels I run the R888. Hot 31F Hot 33R
For 18" GMG wheels I run either RA1 or Hoosier R6.

Depends on weather because I drive to the track on whatever tire I will be running that day...
But beer dehydrates you.....

Nice set up. I have RA1's on my track set up and really like them. Unfortunately with the GT3 you cant just throw an extra set of wheels in the back, guess you need hook it up with a trailer....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
But beer dehydrates you.....

Nice set up. I have RA1's on my track set up and really like them. Unfortunately with the GT3 you cant just throw an extra set of wheels in the back, guess you need hook it up with a trailer....
At that point it becomes track only. When I get my GT3 down to a 2:02-2:03 then I will look for a track car! I still want it to be a street car with full weight etc. If you are running around VIR in a street car anywhere from 2:02-2:05 you are booking it. That is what the grand am cars are running.

Beer at the track (after sessions) is probably the best thing in the world. I need to bring some for Doc instead of me always stealing his...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a lot of fun. VIR is definitely on my hit list.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun. VIR is definitely on my hit list.
VIR is one of the best. Let me know when you are planning to come out. I try to get up there 10-15 times a month if not more
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Soon enough my friend, soon enough
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

thought this photo was cool-

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
770
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Martin,

Great to meet you and enjoyed talking to you last weekend, as I said--love the "evil" 666 black GT3! Sorry we never gridded up together. I had your point-by all ready but never saw you come by me. BTW, I did get a 2:22 best lap, completely stock E92 M3 except pads, which is fast for this amateur. My pads crapped out after first day, I had to put stock pad back on Sunday morning which added several seconds to my lap times. I was also happy to get 120 into the esses. Can't even imagine 130!

Hope to see you at VIR again.

-Bill
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Martin,

Great to meet you and enjoyed talking to you last weekend, as I said--love the "evil" 666 black GT3! Sorry we never gridded up together. I had your point-by all ready but never saw you come by me. BTW, I did get a 2:22 best lap, completely stock E92 M3 except pads, which is fast for this amateur. My pads crapped out after first day, I had to put stock pad back on Sunday morning which added several seconds to my lap times. I was also happy to get 120 into the esses. Can't even imagine 130!

Hope to see you at VIR again.

-Bill
Hey Bill! Ditto - back at ya. I have a picture with you in it...

I remember I got a point by going under the bridge Loud?

Great lap time with the M bone stock
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
AMPowerJ's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
thought this photo was cool-



Doc ... I want some learning when I go to VIR!
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED Lights, Adaptive Suspension, 19's)
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Just got back from VIR with the Mercedes Benz club. Was a great event. Most run groups had less than 15 people. It was fun playing with one of the ariel atoms - damn mosquitos on wheels!

Anyone want to clean the rubber off my car? I will pay well
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post

Doc ... I want some learning when I go to VIR!
Ask for a ride with David, his son

FAST FAST FAST!

Doc - you are whipping around there as well
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Just got back from VIR with the Mercedes Benz club. Was a great event. Most run groups had less than 15 people. It was fun playing with one of the ariel atoms - damn mosquitos on wheels!

Anyone want to clean the rubber off my car? I will pay well
I've got an ariel I run with from time to time and mosquito is right, pesky
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #18
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I've got an ariel I run with from time to time and mosquito is right, pesky
insane - just suicide if i were behind the wheel
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST