BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
From what I've been reading, there is a difference between bokeh and out-of-focus (OOF) areas. Bokeh should have minimal, if any, straight lines showing. Or in other words, straight lines, even if they're fuzzy, indicate "bad" bokeh. Dave's bird pic is what would be considered awesome bokeh as the trees in the background show no definition whatsoever. The "mrbokeh" site has some shots, like the subway station, that really aren't bokeh at all; just OOF areas.

For the purpose of this contest, it probably doesn't matter. But hard core bokeh fans will argue the point to death. And as bokeh is really in the eye of the beholder, I guess there is no true standard.
very true.
but then he has shit like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbokeh...57600057720789
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbokeh...57600057720789
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #24
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
1sikbmr's Avatar
46
Rep
3,282
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (14)

Does this count?? I'm new at this

Edit: I will upload a new picture

Please don't count that other one as a submission
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|

Last edited by 1sikbmr; 06-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
Litos
Banned
United_States
61
Rep
2,901
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Does this count?? I'm new at this



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
i dunno what you did to that picture, but it doesn't feel right to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #26
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
1sikbmr's Avatar
46
Rep
3,282
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i dunno what you did to that picture, but it doesn't feel right to me.
Like what?? i have no clue what I'm doing a little help would be appreciated
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #27
Litos
Banned
United_States
61
Rep
2,901
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

this really ain't the thread for it, but there are 5 black spots on the "roof" of that building in the background that aren't consistent with anything.

and that brown/black "thing" that's coming off the bird's back. appears to change texture after it hits the roof top of the building.

just looks weird......
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
dcstep
Major General
United_States
73
Rep
5,135
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
very true.
but then he has shit like this:...
The guy really likes bokeh light points. I think they're fun also.

Some lenses, particularly at small aperture, gives nice stars, but then it's hard to get bokeh due to the small aperture. Anyway, I think any of that works and wouldn't worry about some straight-line test.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
dcstep
Major General
United_States
73
Rep
5,135
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Does this count?? I'm new at this
Yeah, that counts, but the bokeh is very light, such that you can make out the background. If you'd shot that image wide open, then the bokeh would be stronger. Also, if you'd used a longer focal length and shot wide open, then you'd have smoother bokeh that took the background out of recognition. As you have it, we see what's back there and it simply looks OOF. Where OOF ends and bokeh begins is kind of a judgement call. You could leave this in the contest (in my opinion) but you might want to work to throw the BG more strongly OOF so that it's harder to tell what's there.

You can see mine with the bird for an extreme example with a bird and totally smeared BG and the other examples in this thread and those that Rodi linked us to. Use your longest lens wide open and move in nearer to the minimum focus distance to maximize the effect.

Rodi and I "cheated". He used a tilt-shift lens to get a really advanced example that most of us can't duplicate because we don't have that type of lens lens. My case is much the same, because I used a $6000+ 500mm lens known to have some of the nicest bokeh on the planet.

Still, you can do nice stuff with almost any telephoto lens or shorter lenses with wide apertures. This is one reason that many photogs use wide aperture lenses for their portrait work.

Here's a link to an image that's similar in concept to yours, taken with a 70-200mm f/4, but up close and wide open to maximize bokeh. I'm not posting the image here to avoid confusion with my offical entry:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/...57623046971785


Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #30
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
5,160
Posts

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
this really ain't the thread for it, but there are 5 black spots on the "roof" of that building in the background that aren't consistent with anything.

and that brown/black "thing" that's coming off the bird's back. appears to change texture after it hits the roof top of the building.

just looks weird......
Almost looks like the faked blur you hate so much.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
170
Rep
6,790
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

yeah, that bokeh looks whack. Not saying it was faked, because I can probably convince myself of every oddity that I see, but it's just really... weird.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
cooh23
Private First Class
cooh23's Avatar
1
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Here's mine, Glassy-licious? lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #33
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
5,160
Posts

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
^^^^^Great colors.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #34
Activ
First Lieutenant
Activ's Avatar
8
Rep
309
Posts

Drives: Black e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Whoa some really great submissions already! Keep them coming
__________________
Trevor Thompson :: Activ Films
Facebook Youtube Flickr
EuroSunday :: Contributing Photographer/Videographer
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #35
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
55
Rep
1,224
Posts

Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

here is mine...

"Dead Wood"

__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #36
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
170
Rep
6,790
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

man, lots of nice photos! This is going to be a tough competition.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #37
icyhot e92
Captain
8
Rep
742
Posts

Drives: 335xi coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new york

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
wow - looks like i made it just in time.


here's mine


"Timeless" - taken today at 5:22PM lol




What lens did you use for this?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #38
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
1sikbmr's Avatar
46
Rep
3,282
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yeah, that counts, but the bokeh is very light, such that you can make out the background. If you'd shot that image wide open, then the bokeh would be stronger. Also, if you'd used a longer focal length and shot wide open, then you'd have smoother bokeh that took the background out of recognition. As you have it, we see what's back there and it simply looks OOF. Where OOF ends and bokeh begins is kind of a judgement call. You could leave this in the contest (in my opinion) but you might want to work to throw the BG more strongly OOF so that it's harder to tell what's there.

You can see mine with the bird for an extreme example with a bird and totally smeared BG and the other examples in this thread and those that Rodi linked us to. Use your longest lens wide open and move in nearer to the minimum focus distance to maximize the effect.

Rodi and I "cheated". He used a tilt-shift lens to get a really advanced example that most of us can't duplicate because we don't have that type of lens lens. My case is much the same, because I used a $6000+ 500mm lens known to have some of the nicest bokeh on the planet.

Still, you can do nice stuff with almost any telephoto lens or shorter lenses with wide apertures. This is one reason that many photogs use wide aperture lenses for their portrait work.

Here's a link to an image that's similar in concept to yours, taken with a 70-200mm f/4, but up close and wide open to maximize bokeh. I'm not posting the image here to avoid confusion with my offical entry:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/...57623046971785


Dave

Thanks so much for your help. I tried that with another setting and this is what I got.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2811/img0167aw.jpg
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|

Last edited by 1sikbmr; 06-06-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #39
dcstep
Major General
United_States
73
Rep
5,135
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Thanks so much for your help. I tried that with another setting and this is what I got.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2811/img0167aw.jpg
Yeah, that's the idea.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #40
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
186
Rep
7,279
Posts

Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]

Yorkshire Wildlife Park_090411_0550 by PRotography EU, on Flickr
__________________

Last edited by - Paul -; 06-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #41
dcstep
Major General
United_States
73
Rep
5,135
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Nice Paul, but you have to pick one.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #42
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
186
Rep
7,279
Posts

Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Nice Paul, but you have to pick one.
done
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #43
Litos
Banned
United_States
61
Rep
2,901
Posts

Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyhot e92 View Post
What lens did you use for this?
check post #2938: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=71214&page=74
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #44
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
4,220
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Common yellow-throat warbler:


Common yellow-throat warbler by dcstep, on Flickr
Wow, amazing shot. Such a smooth background...
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST