BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM Sport

06-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Question about transmission cooler

Simple question gang. Most mechanically inclined folks already know the transmission cooler (on passenger side's bumper intake) comes from the factory with a blocking plate essentially covering half the radiator. Due to the shape of the intake tract, that area might not benefit from direct airflow, but would definitely help some if removed. Has anybody removed it???

Fluid only reaches the cooler (and therefore cools it) when pump works, so can't see what was the reason for that cover. When fluid is hot, you want maximum cooling ability, right? Just curious about this. I thought about it the other day when temperature reached almost between the mid and 3/4 mark (or about 230F) for no reason. It was hot (around 90F), but didn't catch any bumper-to-bumper traffic or anything. Never happened before, even in 110F weather. Maximum had been just a bit over the middle mark, winter or summer.

And no, I don't blame the cooler at all for that. It has to be the coolant thermostat getting stuck, or the oil temperature sensor. I'd guess the former. Hey, does anybody remember how to invoke the digital coolant temperature reading on the dash? Remember reading about that 'secret' menu, but would have to check the many 'subscriptions' I have to check for that. Thanks gang.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      06-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Hold trip reset button for 10 seconds
Then every press takes you one menu further
I believe the important one is 19
You have to unlock the menus
You have to add the last 5 digits of your VIN
In my case it's 4+1+7+7+5=24
after that I think the nice ones are 6, 7, and 8

kmarei is offline   Egypt
      06-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Hold trip reset button for 10 seconds
Then every press takes you one menu further
I believe the important one is 19
You have to unlock the menus
You have to add the last 5 digits of your VIN
In my case it's 4+1+7+7+5=24
after that I think the nice ones are 6, 7, and 8
Thanks man, but under which screen do you press the reset button for 10 seconds? To reset service items you have to do exactly that under the oil level screen, so it has to be something else. Then you use the turn signal stalk (wheel and end button) to proceed. Do you happen to have a link where this is explained, to know what buttons to press after secret menu is brought up? Don't want to screw something up, which I assume is possible if you press the wrong button. Thanks again.
      06-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Thanks man, but under which screen do you press the reset button for 10 seconds? To reset service items you have to do exactly that under the oil level screen, so it has to be something else. Then you use the turn signal stalk (wheel and end button) to proceed. Do you happen to have a link where this is explained, to know what buttons to press after secret menu is brought up? Don't want to screw something up, which I assume is possible if you press the wrong button. Thanks again.
Here is the link
http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

kmarei is offline   Egypt
      06-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Here is the link
Thanks man. Tried it, but the weird thing is only menu 01 works like the link, and I can access all its sub-menus. But when I scroll thru the other menus (2,3, etc.), as soon as I release the 'button' is goes back to the clock. Tried everything, and same thing. I assume menus are unlocked, because menus scroll in incremental order. Even when I get to menu 09, I can't get it to show the lock on/off; as soon as button is released, it disappears. Any ideas why? Oh, and tried with the ignition on and nothing happened. Had to use the 'accessory' mode. My car is an '08 with 06/08 build date.

Maybe the car has to be running for menus 2 and over??? Thanks man.