BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

X-pipe/DINAN Race software and legality-emissions testing

Question fella's,

I'm looking at either the street "legal" DINAN software and a pully or if it's possible to go with the DINAN race software & the same pully and then I would reinstall my Encore X-pipe with HFC. I live in NM now and per the state, there is no emission testing except for Berlinilo County which is city of Albuquerque. So the question is, if I were to go with the race software & X-pipe, there would be no CEL and I would guess the software would re-tune the engine and perhaps when emission testing they would not read an "increased emissions" code(s). Is that the case?

In other words, will the race software re-tune it to where if durring inspection they hook up their testing computer or what ever, would it then read as if it were stock? with no codes, no increased emissions codes?

Or does the diognostic computer a BMW dealer or other State inspection shop connects read the increased emissions CO2 content which would result from HFC installed?

I know Cali has a visual inspection but not really worried as I don't live there. What if I moved to another State someday? Would they fail it just because it's got HFC and software?

What would the diognostic computer read with HFC & Software installed???

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
chris s
Major General
chris s's Avatar
71
Rep
5,493
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (8)

The software should eliminate the CEL. I can't imagine paying a premium for Dinan software and parts and leaving the dealership with a CEL!

If there is no CEL present at the time of inspection, you should be fine in most states.

I'm sure someone else can expand on all of this...but this is my understanding!
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
The software should eliminate the CEL. I can't imagine paying a premium for Dinan software and parts and leaving the dealership with a CEL!

If there is no CEL present at the time of inspection, you should be fine in most states.

I'm sure someone else can expand on all of this...but this is my understanding!
Not in NY. You will fail the "readiness test" if they turn off rear O2 CEL and that is automatic fail
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
Martin_D's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,792
Posts

 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Not in NY. You will fail the "readiness test" if they turn off rear O2 CEL and that is automatic fail
Same goes for people in NC
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Interesting. Guess I'm stuck with $1400+ worth of tubing for nothing then. I'll just stay stock with Dinan pully/software and just keep it street legal.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Talked to DINAN today. Not sure if the person i talked to was a knowledgable engineer but I'm going to assume he knew what he was talking about. Not making any judgments, I just didn't ask for crudentials.

Anyway, since I'm conserned about emission testing and how to get around it all in NM and other states except CA.

What I asked was if it's possible to go with the Dinan Mid-pipe racing software and instead of purchasing the Dinan catless x-pipe system, I would reinstall my EI x-pipe with HFC. Dinan said it would perform good and there would not be any issues although I'm running HFC instead of catless. Stage II software would eliminate the CEL and retune it. He suggested I get the software installed first, then reinstall the EI HFC X-pipe. That sounded a bit strange because I would think they would want to tune it with the x-pipe.

Second question was about inspection/emissions testing. If I reinstalled the stock exhaust system to go get it inspected, how would that affect Stage II Dinan software performance for that short time being. Dinan said, it would not and if I decided to keep the stock exhaust installed, the Stage II midpipe software would work just as well or have Dinan/BMW dealer convert the software back to Stage I which is the performance software (street legal) without having to purchase it again. Nor have to purchase it again if i wanted to go back to stage II.

So, I'm looking for second oppinions here and does this sound practical. Was Dinan rep correct?

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
61
Rep
2,632
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

No, you'll fail anywhere OBD2 readiness tests are used, which is pretty much everywhere at this point.
__________________

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'm running the full exhaust with the tune here in NY... dealer plugged my car into the DMV system.. everything ok... and I got my sticker. However, I'll be changing to the ESS tune soon, since I'll be getting the SC... things might change then.
First year is safety only. You will fail next years inspection
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
dogears's Avatar
8
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

iTrader: (0)

This.

Disabling the rear O2 sensors keeps the car out of ready mode. It will fail in any state that checks the OBD2 port for ready mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
No, you'll fail anywhere OBD2 readiness tests are used, which is pretty much everywhere at this point.
__________________
2009 Space Gray Carbon Leather E90 with DCT, Tech package, and EPS. Mods: Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Xpipe w/resonators and no secondary cats, BPM tune, Euro DCT software, Eisenmann Sport Mufflers, Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II, SWS8 subs, JL Audio XD400 bridged 2X200W, built in radar
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Well I guess the only option here is to register my M3 outside of Bernalilo county, which isn't far outside of ABQ city and there for I can go with the x-pipe and Stage II. If I ever have to register it in an emission tested county, then I'll just slap the stock pipes back on and make modern art out of the EI X-pipe I guess. At least I'll enjoy it for a long while. Good luck everyone else.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
This.

Disabling the rear O2 sensors keeps the car out of ready mode. It will fail in any state that checks the OBD2 port for ready mode.


I understand that but if for emission testing I swop the HFC x-pipe for my stock pipe, then there would be no issue. Of course that's kinda of a pain in the ass to swop pipes twice a year but just an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

You will either have to live with CEL most of the year or tune ECU back before every inspection also. If the tune disables the rear O2 you do not pass the readiness test.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
dcgolfdr's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,026
Posts

 
Drives: M3 and a truck
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (11)

I was in the same boat, I tried to pass with stock midpipe and stage 2 Dinan and failed due to failing readiness, as everyone else has already said. But with Dinan you can go back to stock midpipe, go down to stage 1, pass emissions, go back to stage 2 and then put your EI midpipe back on. Once you pay for the stage 2 you can switch back and forth at no charge, with the exception of labor at the shop. It is a pain but doing it every 2 years isn't so bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I was in the same boat, I tried to pass with stock midpipe and stage 2 Dinan and failed due to failing readiness, as everyone else has already said. But with Dinan you can go back to stock midpipe, go down to stage 1, pass emissions, go back to stage 2 and then put your EI midpipe back on. Once you pay for the stage 2 you can switch back and forth at no charge, with the exception of labor at the shop. It is a pain but doing it every 2 years isn't so bad.


Well, that's what I gatherd from DINAN, that's what I was hoping fore and if so, then sounds like the most logical choice. Having the option to switch back and forth is what I want. Thansks,

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

As others have said, if the tune disables the rear o2's, then you will not pass in an state that uses OBD. This is one of the main reasons I'm looking at the Evolve tune - you can run the modified software, then set it back to the stock program for inspection.

As to your question about moving - technically any state can fail you on the visual inspection. It is illegal to modify any of the catalytic converters (unless they are damaged) on the car regardless of whether they do emissions testing in the municipality in question. That being said, most places aren't going to care, and you can have a discussion in advance of handing your car over to them for inspection. My dealership does my inspection and has no issue with the full exhaust.

The other thing I don't like about the Dinan "Stage II" product, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, is that it does nothing to actually tune for the catless setup, or HFCs for that matter either. My understanding, is that it simply disables the rear o2. Again, this is why I like the look of the Evolve tune, because they actually make cam and other adjustments specific to the hardware setup. I believe ESS, PC, and various others also have tunes claiming similar adjustments. So I would do some research and see what you like best and who you trust. I'm sure the Dinan tune will do a decent job of adapting to the HFCs, just like stock, but it won't perform as well as a tune specifically designed for them.

So in summary, if you are going to run aftermarket software, my advice would be to run a program that is actually designed for HFCs, and not just to clear the SES : )
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
As others have said, if the tune disables the rear o2's, then you will not pass in an state that uses OBD. This is one of the main reasons I'm looking at the Evolve tune - you can run the modified software, then set it back to the stock program for inspection.

As to your question about moving - technically any state can fail you on the visual inspection. It is illegal to modify any of the catalytic converters (unless they are damaged) on the car regardless of whether they do emissions testing in the municipality in question. That being said, most places aren't going to care, and you can have a discussion in advance of handing your car over to them for inspection. My dealership does my inspection and has no issue with the full exhaust.

The other thing I don't like about the Dinan "Stage II" product, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, is that it does nothing to actually tune for the catless setup, or HFCs for that matter either. My understanding, is that it simply disables the rear o2. Again, this is why I like the look of the Evolve tune, because they actually make cam and other adjustments specific to the hardware setup. I believe ESS, PC, and various others also have tunes claiming similar adjustments. So I would do some research and see what you like best and who you trust. I'm sure the Dinan tune will do a decent job of adapting to the HFCs, just like stock, but it won't perform as well as a tune specifically designed for them.

So in summary, if you are going to run aftermarket software, my advice would be to run a program that is actually designed for HFCs, and not just to clear the SES : )


That is a good point. To have software that actually tunes to HFC. Dinan had told me that when they install it, durring software install, the technition will tune it and that it'll adjust perameters as needed. But you have said that Stage II only clears the O2 sensors of CEL for either catless or HFC. So this is something to investigate. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

My only other reason for sticking with DINAN is the warrenty issue as my M3 is still under warrenty. For 3 or 4 hp difference, not sure if it's worth the risk. Not that their is much I would think.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
That is a good point. To have software that actually tunes to HFC. Dinan had told me that when they install it, durring software install, the technition will tune it and that it'll adjust perameters as needed. But you have said that Stage II only clears the O2 sensors of CEL for either catless or HFC. So this is something to investigate. Thanks.
That is my understanding based on information posted here from various sources. Definitely confirm with Dinan and let us know!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Ok fella's. Sandia BMW in Albuquerque confirmed with DINAN today that you can switch from Stage I to II as long as you purchased the mid-pipe racing Stage II software.

I had them install it today. It's currently set at stage I. Next week I'll have them install the underdrive pully and when i get my house hold goods delivered, I'll have them program it to Stage II and install my HFC x-pipe.

So how does it pull with just Stage I? I can't really tell much difference at docile driving around town. I can tell though that at WOT past 5,000rpm's, the M3 pulls a bit harder. Albuquerque is at 5,000ft elevation and it's about 90F outside durring the day. High density altidude, which really starves the engine of dense air naturally. So anyway, pulls ok past 5k, full throttle.

I'll post in a few months when it's all set up.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST