BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #23
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Engines do NOT need backpressure. Increasing the scavenging pulls in more air, no matter what.
That was the simple way to put it . It's a lot more complicated than you said too, as scavenging has to do with collector/header design (4-2-1, 4-1, etc), header pipe diameter, as well as muffler design. My point is everything is designed as a SYSTEM, and altering any part of it NEVER results in all gains; there're always drawbacks. Heck, cost alone is always one .

But again, with just a catback change, any gains or losses are usually not felt, therefore not worth mentioning. The only car I've felt it is the F430, which is weird since its flat crank leads to a straight-forward exhaust design that I thought was less prone to changes. And I'm not the only one to feel that. Take care.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #24
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
M Performance Exhaust adds almost no drone (most noticeable at 2k rpm). Inside the car, it's quite quiet at low rpms. At high rpms it's definitely louder, but it's hard to distinguish from the sound coming directly from the engine.
Thank you for posting that . And the statement in bold is the most important consideration to me. And the first time somebody posts it. That's why I'm taking my time to make a final decision between the performance muffler and just modifying my stock one. Results seem similar to me. Thanks again.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,551
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Thank you for posting that . And the statement in bold is the most important consideration to me. And the first time somebody posts it. That's why I'm taking my time to make a final decision between the performance muffler and just modifying my stock one. Results seem similar to me. Thanks again.

I think the Perf muffler sounds a lot better than the modded stock ones. It really has a nice harmonic, like the OP said. I liked the sound a lot, just not the raspiness that it got when you remove the cats.

(BTW, most exhausts will get raspy when the cats come out, some mufflers are better than others at hiding it)

If you look at the BMW perf exhaust, it's completely straight through. Pretty amazing design, I'm shocked at how quiet it is, given how open the muffler is. You could easily roll a golf ball through it with room to bounce! I suspect the cans hang down simply because they have to, since it's all helmhotz resonators and chambers around the piping.
__________________

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
kitw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #26
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,207
iTrader: (3)

Ilis, I may try and go the dinner on the 8th that dnvrdrvr posted in the regional forum. Would be cool to compare your performance cat back with my Akra.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #27
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,735
iTrader: (2)

any drone?
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #28
sig5x
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I think the Perf muffler sounds a lot better than the modded stock ones. It really has a nice harmonic, like the OP said. I liked the sound a lot, just not the raspiness that it got when you remove the cats.

(BTW, most exhausts will get raspy when the cats come out, some mufflers are better than others at hiding it)

If you look at the BMW perf exhaust, it's completely straight through. Pretty amazing design, I'm shocked at how quiet it is, given how open the muffler is. You could easily roll a golf ball through it with room to bounce! I suspect the cans hang down simply because they have to, since it's all helmhotz resonators and chambers around the piping.
Yes, and here is a pic of what kitw is describing:

A look inside the inlet side of the BMW Performance exhaust. You can see the exhaust tips directly on the other side (where the "Y" split is and the perforated tips). There is an inlet upwards as soon as you enter the muffler "can", and this may be a Helmholtz chamber, which seems to be on the top side of the muffler. Very interesting design and it is very surprising how quiet the exhaust is given how straight-through it also is. Not sure how the pipe that connects the two sides come into play, but the sound from the exhaust is harmonic or almost (musical) organ-like, in a good and interesting way.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2011 e92 M3: AW/blk zcp, dct
2008 Civic Si FG2 ASM/blk
2005 e46 M3: SG/blk zcp, 6MT (sold)
sig5x is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #29
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,133
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Ilis, I may try and go the dinner on the 8th that dnvrdrvr posted in the regional forum. Would be cool to compare your performance cat back with my Akra.
Rain check? I have a conflict on the 8th, but would love to hear them side by side.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #30
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,207
iTrader: (3)

Of course, just let me know.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #31
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,914
iTrader: (2)

Thanks OP! I've got an M Performance Exhaust waiting for my e92 M3 to show up this wk hopefully.

I noticed a loss of torque putting a Borla on my e46, subtle but definitely there. I'll see if I notice any difference with the M Performance exhaust. I love a freer flowing exhaust though, it's like the engine nuances are more noticeable. The M Performance exhaust sounds more trebly/edgy and less bassy than all of the other aftemarket exhausts I've heard, which really appeals to me...plus it's OEM. I plan on keeping my e92 OEM as much as possible...I hope I can resist.
Denk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #32
My2010M3
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 AW DCT FR E90
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

I have had my performance exhaust for about 600 miles. I've been very pleased overall. Fitment is perfect, tips, if you inspect them closely, there is a pretty pronounced seam that runs horizontially, not finished as well as you would think. But when I start the car, it sounds like a raving monster, as it warms and you drive, it really goes into a very quiet exhaust. Very civil. Absolutely little to no drone with this exhaust. I would have a tuff time telling it from stock. The great part is when you step on it, now it sounds like it should. Rev matching downshifts, OMG! Thanks to Mike Nylen (BMW Morristown) for selling at a discouunt. Made it way more affordable, shipped asap, and installation was a breeze. I'm really pleased I got it, because now it sounds even better with little to no side effects. Call Mike! you'll be glad you did!
My2010M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #33
drvai
Major
 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,264
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2010M3 View Post
I have had my performance exhaust for about 600 miles. I've been very pleased overall. Fitment is perfect, tips, if you inspect them closely, there is a pretty pronounced seam that runs horizontially, not finished as well as you would think. But when I start the car, it sounds like a raving monster, as it warms and you drive, it really goes into a very quiet exhaust. Very civil. Absolutely little to no drone with this exhaust. I would have a tuff time telling it from stock. The great part is when you step on it, now it sounds like it should. Rev matching downshifts, OMG! Thanks to Mike Nylen (BMW Morristown) for selling at a discouunt. Made it way more affordable, shipped asap, and installation was a breeze. I'm really pleased I got it, because now it sounds even better with little to no side effects. Call Mike! you'll be glad you did!
How much did you paid?

Would love to get this exhaust, but 4k is a lot for an exhaust and I don't know if it's justified...
drvai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Would love to get this exhaust, but 4k is a lot for an exhaust and I don't know if it's justified...
Agreed... but it sounds better than any other combo, so depends how much that is worth to you
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #35
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,133
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
How much did you paid?

Would love to get this exhaust, but 4k is a lot for an exhaust and I don't know if it's justified...
Less than that. Ask your dealer. They just might match the Morristown pricing.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #36
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

If any of you guys drive thru El Paso, TX, give me a buzz . I'd like to hear it in person, if possible. Independent of cost (a BIG factor), seems to be the best compromise for those who value a quiet interior.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #37
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,617
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
I don't know whether it's me or the /// Performance Exhaust, but it definitely sounds louder to me compared with the stock. When you put the foot down it is even louder and spine tingling. In the recent comparison - M3 v RS5 v C63 AMG Coupe - AutoBild made reference to the /// Performance Exhaust and this was their quote:

Quote:
... the M3 makes most of its noise from the engine itself. It's screaming a high praise on naturally aspirated engines, and the new M Performance exhaust adds even more of a race car feel.
I bought mine blind, and it cost me close to US$4500 including shipping and import taxes. But I am extremely happy with my purchase and what driving pleasure it gives me.

Thank you Kitw for your video clip but yet again I am not convinced whether I can make a decision based on that video. The sound I hear in the driver's seat (in the video) is not what I hear and experience in real life. I enjoy my car a lot more now and complements the whole package. It doesn't sound like an aftermarket system whatsoever. I have to concur with other /// Performance exhaust owners here - it's unique and exotic and cannot be replicated by an aftermarket exhaust.

I therefore call the "non-believers" to hear this exhaust in person before embracing your /// life experience change.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
My2010M3
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 AW DCT FR E90
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

My dealership wasn't the least bit interested in giving any discount. As a matter of fact, they thought it was pretty expensive. Mike sold to me for 3425 plus I saved about 300 in sales tax, shiping was 35 and came asap in perfect shape. It arrived so quickly, and my dealership wanted to make installation a act of congress, all day, rental car, plus a week wait. I couldn't wait a week. So thanks to the forum again, DIY really helps. Took about 3 hrs. but went on perfectly. Hangers are a B#tch!! but saved another 250. And I was rather proud that I completed it. Thanks DIY. So for about 3000, yes it's way more than I thought I would spend, but it really sounds much better. Glad I got it! Call Mike!
My2010M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,133
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
I was going to order from Morristown, but called my dealer (with whom I have excellent relations), said "I'd rather give you guys the business if you are interested." They came within $50 of the price, and no shipping. I picked up from the parts department. In the end, I had them install it after I painted it. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I would have tried to take it on myself, but have not yet gotten floor jacks and stands. They did it in just over an hour.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST