BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
MRSSIIM3
General

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Question Potential Engine Problem...help!!

background: alright, so ive been digging up old threads and using the button, but havent really found anything related to this issue except someones engine mounts breaking, but that was at ~30k miles and im only at 7. so ill start my own thread

i noticed that when im in first gear, the acceleration is not as linear as gears 2-7. specifically, here is the scenario:
-DCT
-gear 1
-power/edc/all settings do not matter
-going constantly at ~15mph or wherever 4.5k rpm is
-while cruising at 4.5k rpm in gear 1, give it full throttle up until redline and shift

my issue is that from 4.5k to redline, it sounds as if there is a violent shaking from the engine that was not present only a few days ago. it just does not feel smooth at all. my radar detector also starts moving like crazy so its not only my butt dyno that is feeling the shaking. the weird part, is that if i floor it from 0mph, and if it goes from 1.5k rpm to redline, the shaking does not happen. it seems to only happen under load if i suddenly increase the load and only in gear 1. i understand that there are obviously more g forces accelerating in first gear than 2nd but its weird that itll only happen from above 4.5k.

maybe i was not looking out for it and it was actually there all along, or maybe it actually is a problem, but i really have no way of finding out. i dont want to take it to the dealer just yet because theyll probably have to tear down the engine to see if anything is abnormal. to the naked eye, nothing is weird or loose or anything.

it would be really helpful if people could try out this scenario and then post whether it is smooth for them or if it shakes and if they are exhibiting my problem

i just hate the thought of having to leave my car for a few days for them to in the end, probably say that its normal and there is nothing wrong with the car

Last edited by MRSSIIM3; 05-31-2011 at 03:07 AM.
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
      05-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Mine is smooth...the only time I get any abnormal vibrations, etc. is if i get some wheel hop.

I suggest you schedule an appointment and request that the tech go for a ride with you so he can see the problem....that always helps.

Keep us posted....
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
      05-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Mavrick151
My M treats me right

Drives: E92 M3

I had a broken engine mount and by your description sounds to be the same issue. Where are you located and what dealer to you take your car to for service.
Mavrick151 is offline   United_States
      05-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

With those symptoms, I'd eliminate an engine problem, so relax . The most likely scenario is a broken/loose engine mount IMO, but we can't eliminate the tranny. If you can fully duplicate your issue, take it in, so YOU can show a tech the problem, rather than giving one a blank check to abuse the crap out of your car.

If you can't duplicate it at will, I'd wait until you can. If there's a problem, it'll eventually get worse. And whatever it is, it shouldn't affect the reliability of your car IMO (especially if driven normally), so that's why I suggest to wait until it's repeatable. Otherwise you'll probably be wasting you time, and letting others abuse your car for nothing. Good luck man.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      05-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
MRSSIIM3
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick151 View Post
I had a broken engine mount and by your description sounds to be the same issue. Where are you located and what dealer to you take your car to for service.
im in newport beach. usually i go to pacific bmw in glendale because they take care of me but since you already had this issue, maybe if i go to wherever you went theyll easily identify the problem?

did you go to irvine/sterling/crevier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
With those symptoms, I'd eliminate an engine problem, so relax . The most likely scenario is a broken/loose engine mount IMO, but we can't eliminate the tranny. If you can fully duplicate your issue, take it in, so YOU can show a tech the problem, rather than giving one a blank check to abuse the crap out of your car.

If you can't duplicate it at will, I'd wait until you can. If there's a problem, it'll eventually get worse. And whatever it is, it shouldn't affect the reliability of your car IMO (especially if driven normally), so that's why I suggest to wait until it's repeatable. Otherwise you'll probably be wasting you time, and letting others abuse your car for nothing. Good luck man.
i can definitely duplicate it as it happens every single time i try replicating it. ill scehdule an appt for this week...poor m
      05-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
bubu
Bunny Slayer

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

anywhere but irvine btw...or crevier

...take it to Sterling.

Irvine BMW & Crevier have some real horror story gems on this forum.
bubu is offline   United_States
      05-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
MRSSIIM3
General

Just dropped it off at sterling they said they'll check the mounts to see whatsup

They said some guy came in with same problem...blue m3?

[quote=bubu;9719576]...take it to Sterling.

Irvine BMW
      06-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
MRSSIIM3
General

UPDATE: drivers side engine mount broken. replaced and car is perfect again!!

sterling bmw ftw!