BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

05-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
cpars006
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: AW E93

UNBELIEVABLE... Servicing my M3 Differential

So I take my car into Irvine BMW in Orange County LAST FRIDAY because I've been hearing a high pitched noise coming from the rear of the car, and a clicking noise in lower gears sounding like it comes from my rear right wheel. I call multiple times a day trying to pick up my car and I get to speak to my SA maybe once a day (if I'm lucky). Today I reached my breaking point and I finally just went into the service office pissed off and fed up. They told me a nut from my differential broke off and thats where all of my problems have been coming from. Naturally, I tell them to order the parts and to fix it, after a week it should have been done. The mechanic then came out and said they took pictures of it and sent it to the BMWNA service rep for the west coast on what they should do. Then tell me that because I have springs, nothing is covered under warranty. He then tells me a new diff+frame would cost over $3,000 not including labor. I call EAS (the people who did the install) and they tell me there is no relation whatsoever between the differential and the springs and that its total BS. I believe them but am not too educated in manners that relate to the differential/frame/ most of the internals of my M. Is the dealership screwing with me? What are my options? Any help would be HUGELY appreciated, I'm going through depression not being able to drive my car and really want some honest answers, and to be able to hear the sound of my V8 rumble again! I feel that because I'm in the younger demographic of M3 owners the dealership feels that they can take advantage of me. I'm hoping to prove them wrong.
(The tech said it would definitely be later than Tuesday until I even see my car, and my SA has not contacted me a single time, every time I am the one who initiates the call and he's quick to hang up)
ANY SUGGESTIONS ON GOOD HONEST SA's IN THE SOCAL, ORANGE COUNTY AREA!
I'm so upset about all of this
      05-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I seriously doubt your springs had anything to do with it, and the dealership is screwing you..... However it's going to be very difficult if you want to fight with them
      05-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
maaicher
Captain
Rep

Drives: Jet black E92 M3

Most dealerships sadly will try and mess with you like this. Putting springs on should not void the warranty on your diff. The rule of thumb for warranty is usually " if they can prove it is what caused the damage." Unfortunately they will usually try and tell you that whatever you did caused the damage. I took in my car a month ago to ask them to tell me which TPMS sensor went bad in my car, so i can buy one and take it somewhere to get replaced. After dropping off my car I got a phone call 2 hours later saying my car was too modified for them to work on....

Basically what im saying is the dealer for the most part will never be your friend
      05-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
TheStigsCanadianCousin
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: e93

I knew a guy who had a e46 zcp and his VANOS blew on him. The dealer voided his warranty because he had coil-overs.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I believe they cannot void your warranty if you modified the car as long as the modified part does not effect the failed part. From memory, is the Magnussen Moss Act... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act . You may want to research it a bit or speak with an attorney.

DONT LET THEM SCREW YOU OVER on this....total BS to say the springs have anything to do with the diff. Ridiculous!
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Yes they are screwing u. Let me give u a word of advice: any BMW dealings in irvine, whether in sales or service, is 99% most certainly a scam. It is the pinnacle dealership where OC housewives go for their bimmers... walk away...but since u are screwed already, u need to fight.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

something similar happened to a friend of mine on his m5, they were trying to charge him thousands....he took it to another dealer and they serviced it all for free under warranty
BW C13 - 1:53:7
E92 M3 ZCP
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Investigation is normal if they can't explain failure. Timeline is unacceptable. If dealership is the bottleneck, move the car to another dealer. If bmwna is slow, then tell them you want the regional rep to call you tomorrow. Remain calm and focus on what you want to achieve rather than arguing with morons or dishonest people.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
IMG
M.POWER
Rep

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Just take it to a different dealer. Basically installing lowering springs would affect ur shocks not ur diff. So they are playing you. Also if a diff bolt broke, why do they have to change the diff carrier, If the diff carrier was damaged u won't be able to drive the car and your rear axles will be dragging behind the car.
Go to a different dealer and ask to talk to the head tech cause they mostly got some brains and hopefully it works put. Remember don't pay a dime outta pocket! Good Luck !!!!

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
haze gray
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe / 2011 X5

did installing the springs really improve the car? is it worth letting BMW have an "out" on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Stay tuned for my write-up on this matter...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I believe they cannot void your warranty if you modified the car as long as the modified part does not effect the failed part. From memory, is the Magnussen Moss Act... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act . You may want to research it a bit or speak with an attorney.

DONT LET THEM SCREW YOU OVER on this....total BS to say the springs have anything to do with the diff. Ridiculous!
I know SEMA likes to wave this around and the internet has taken it up as their flag to protect against warranties being invalidated...

The fact of the matter is, the Magnussen Moss Act just specifies that the terms have to be clear, it doesn't say that the entire warranty can't be invalidated for a modification. When we all paid for our cars, the warranty terms state that ANY modifications (ie use of parts that are not within factory specifications) can result in the warranty being null and void, something that is not against the Magnussen Moss Act, as long as it is very clearly stated. (which it is, in BMW's warranty)

I think that most car companies are not going to spend the money to defend themselves in court and most cave to legal pressure, which has been reinforcing this idea.

I think that BMW should cover the car in the case of a failure, if unrelated modifications are performed... but in this case, if the differential really did fail, it could very well be the fault of lowering the car, and placing the axles at a different angle, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd fight for it to be covered too, but you're going to have to either get really persuasive or lawyer up to get BMW to cover it.

IMG_4631 by kitwetzler, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #13
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
Rep

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

irvine bmw haha nice...real nice sighh
i know bmw irvine very well. and i can tell you you're probably better off going elsewhere

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #14
biglare
United_States
Rep

Drives: ?

I would definitely talk to a manager or the store's general operations manager/director about this.

I always talk to the service manager where I am going to service my car before my first appointment. By doing this they know what my car(s) have on them and they tell me that they can work with me or that it may be difficult. If its the latter, then on to the next dealership.

This is just what I have done in the past and it has worked for me. I hope it all works out for you very soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
cpars006
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: AW E93

Thank you all for the responses,
The reason I took it to Irvine is because I am familiar with mostly all of the higher-ups that work there. I figured that since my family has bought a good amount of cars from the dealership they would show some leniency when servicing the car. When I had walked in the first time I mentioned something about Mr. Shelley, the owner of Irvine bmw, and a friend of my Father's, I think it might have frightened the SA a little bit. Close to an hour after after I left I received a call from him saying they'll cover it and that, "He was on my side the whole time" etc etc. Having said that from now on I am going to take all of my service appts. to John Thatcher at Crevier. My buddy has a tuned 335 and takes it in all the time, no questions asked.
      05-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

crevier is even worse..

Your story about Irvine BMW service does not surprise me in the least.

...sad part is that there are NO good dealership service departments in Orange County. I've been told first hand stories of Irvine BMW techs stealing scheduled maintenance/warranty parts & selling them back to the parts dept. He told me people on his "team" did it with the lead/master tech's knowledge. Oh, I forgot to add, "Ron" @ Irvine BMW is the WORST SA I have EVER ENCOUNTERED working for any dealership/brand. The guy is incompetent, lazy, and I suspect mildly mentally handicapped. Stay away from him @ all cost. I pointed out his failures to the service GM on a couple of occasions...I'm amazed he is still employed there. Which in turn reinforces my belief that Irvine BMW does not give a cra* about their level of service. Only reason to visit Irvine BMW for me is to buy my quart of "top-off" oil every 3-6 months since they are the closest dealer to my home.

Crevier is even worse then Irvine BMW...I had them try and bill me for "rotating my tires". It was written up under the work order as performed etc...staggered tire sizes, wtf right? Another time I got the "you need to flush your tranny as part of the maintenance...your lease says you gotta do all recommended maintenance on the car"...I had to ask em to show me ANY manual from any model year of any BMW that required a transmission fluid replacement @ 12,000 miles (this is back when BMW did not force bundle maintenance into their cars). Made a scene asking very loudly why he is defrauding customers lying about required maintenance...10-15 other customers stood around looking & listening intently. GM shuffled me into his office apologizing profusely & wiping out the service bill while paying me lip-service. In the end it was probably the GM telling his SA's to "push optional services".

Sterling in Newport Beach is avg. At least in my experience the SA's pickup the phone, call you back, etc... I've had issues with them dinging my car while working on it, but they seem to be more in-tune with customer service requirements being a smaller dealer catering to snobbish clientele...and they never tried to sell me a transmission fluid flush @ 12,000 miles .

I gotta tell ya, I'm amazed that people are not up in arms about BMW "scheduled" maintenance being forced on the consumer. Its monopolistic & highly anti-competitive behavior by BMW. It leads to dealership service departments being unaccountable for sub standard service.

On a side note, I'm not sure how many of you own or used lexus dealership service departments. I took my wife's ride in a couple of times to different dealerships and my jaw was on the floor in shock of how pleasant the whole thing was. Free Krispy Kream donuts, bagels, gourmet coffee in the morning...subway catered lunch food...lexus branded loaner cars (vs enterprise rental which seems to be the norm @ BMW in OC these days). Its just amazing to me what having to compete for service business in the luxury segment does for customer service.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
Wow that is lame. I have never heard any good stories about Irvine BMW. As far as I'm concerned, they don't even exist. I would do some research and try to find a good SA at Sterling or Crevier.
      05-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze gray View Post
did installing the springs really improve the car? is it worth letting BMW have an "out" on this?
Ridiculous statement.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Do not go to Crevier. They are the worst. Really shady about warranty coverage especially with mods. In other words they are not mod friendly.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

Hate to have to chime in here but I've tried all the San Diego dealers too and they must hire middle aged overweight housewives for SA's. I've been to Brecht, Encinitas and San Diego and all the same horrible experiences. It's beyond ignorance.

San Diego left my freshly detailed car in front of their sales department with windows wide open (during Santa Ana wind storm) and unlocked so customers were literally sitting in my car when I picked it up. This is after they grounded my front spoiler.

Brecht scratched my CF roof with their numbered mini cones they put on top when servicing. They knew nothing about the rear diff Service bulletin so I had to look it up on the forum.

Encinitas. Not enough time to explain the horror..

It seems systemic so BMW must really not give a sh$% about customer service.
      05-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
lve2xlr8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 m3

I've had terrible luck at Irvine and Crevier. Sterling has been the best to me thus far.
      05-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Got my car at Greenwich BMW in CT. The sales guy was showing me HIS totally modded 335 with exhaust, power kit, AFE intake, etc.! How cool is that?!
Appreciate 0