BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
JAdamz
M3NTAL
 
JAdamz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 427
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
No, computer novices see it as a file path. Nerds see it as escaping characters.
I saw "C:\" and I'm a software engineer, so I wouldn't go that far...
JAdamz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #24
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,611
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
Okay, that's one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. There's a reason the button is there, if you're not going to use it, why buy it?
I think you missed the point entirely - even if you always leave it in the same mode, you are still getting the active suspension.

It's just like how I never use my power button, but I still use Sport Power setting every day.
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #25
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,611
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
No, computer novices see it as a file path. Nerds see it as escaping characters.
Hey I resemble that remark! It's "geek", not "nerd", thank you.
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #26
e92zero
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

Posts: 533
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Anybody else think the thread title was a file system path?
hahaha, guess i am not alone. Wonder how many of us computer geek/nerd are on here.
e92zero is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #27
assinizarM3
Private
 
Drives: bmw x5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: canada ottawa

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Anybody else think the thread title was a file system path?
hahaha, guess i am not alone. Wonder how many of us computer geek/nerd are on here.
i wrote this thread using my ipod touch i have no idea why all these things came but wooow we have to make a pool...back to the M3, i wasn't refering to zcp...even if i did i still think that jeremy would still pick the m3 with the zcp cause it just made the audi rs5 look like a show off...but i prefer the non zcp cause it's not stiff nor low on the ground..maybe that's just me because of the horible roads in my country that make even my X5 uncomfortable.
assinizarM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #28
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,717
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
Anybody else think the thread title was a file system path?
Yeah. Was about to throw down some powershell commands as a way of replying.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
Totti
Troll
 
Totti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
Okay, that's one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. There's a reason the button is there, if you're not going to use it, why buy it? It's like having a 9-inch dick and being a virgin. If you're not going to use it, why have it?
Because, you moron, and let me put this as eloquently as I can because you're clearly inept at understanding more than 5 word sentences:

It.Is.Not.Available.In.Any.Other.Variant.In.Austra lia.
You take the competition package, or you don't. You can't simply pick and choose options out of it. If you want the suspension and the wheels, it adds up to the same cost as the pack. Then you don't get the remapped DSC. Or EDC. And you have a wannabee ZCP.

Capiche?
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Totti is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
JIO
Captain
 
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
hahaha, guess i am not alone. Wonder how many of us computer geek/nerd are on here.
All your base are belong to us.
JIO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #31
JIO
Captain
 
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Since my car barely clears my steep driveway, I would have no use for the ZCP option with the lowered suspension. However, I do like the wheels...which I bought separately. As for the EDC and MDM settings...I prefer the comfort setting and really have no use for the mdm. Will Turner of Turner Motorsports once said after testing the M3 that the best position for the fastest times was the Comfort mode as the car leans the most and gives you the best grip coming out of corners. He thought the other two positions were too firm. At the track, DSC is off....on the road DSC is on. Doesn't the Lotus Elise have a traction/stability control with like 17 different positions? I can just hear them arguing which position is best.

Actually the position I like best is the woman on the bottom.
JIO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #32
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,717
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
All your base are belong to us.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #33
saeedg48
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown

Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
OP made no reference to ZCP.

Besides...the things he asserted made it worse...you don't have to use if you don't want to. So is it really "worse" if you're not using them? Or is it the same?
To my knowledge there's no improvement or decline in performance (I don't care what anybody says about comparing 1 driven by old Stig and 1 driven by new Stig on a wet tracks times).

The car kicks ass. ZCP or no. 6MT or DCT.
OP is asking us to judge Clarkson's opinion on the M3, but he is taking it out of context. In this case, the context is relevant, IMO.

Clarkson did say the non-ZCP M3 is the best and he was actually quite critical of the ZCP. Even if you do not use the ZCP setting, you are paying extra for it, so why buy it if you are not going to use it?!!

And, yes I agree this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I was not the one who brought it up...

PS. I am not saying I agree with Clarkson as I have not driven a ZCP yet, but he is mostly on the money in his reviews...
^
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #34
Totti
Troll
 
Totti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

Just for the record I plan to use my ZCP (19's, lowered susp.) every time I get in the car.
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Totti is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #35
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
 
I M STIG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Because, you moron, and let me put this as eloquently as I can because you're clearly inept at understanding more than 5 word sentences:

It.Is.Not.Available.In.Any.Other.Variant.In.Austra lia.
You take the competition package, or you don't. You can't simply pick and choose options out of it. If you want the suspension and the wheels, it adds up to the same cost as the pack. Then you don't get the remapped DSC. Or EDC. And you have a wannabee ZCP.

Capiche?
Hahaha, you said having a button you'll never use is a moot point. Why get a car with a button that you'll never use? I know the suspension and wheels are still different regardless, but the point is, if you're not tracking it and using it 100%, why have it?
__________________

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
I M STIG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #36
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
 
I M STIG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think you missed the point entirely - even if you always leave it in the same mode, you are still getting the active suspension.

It's just like how I never use my power button, but I still use Sport Power setting every day.
No, I understood it. I'm saying why buy a car most of us will never put on the track when it's meant to be better on the track?
__________________

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
I M STIG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #37
chris719
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

Posts: 440
iTrader: (0)

The M3 is a GT car and ZCP is far from a real track oriented package.
chris719 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Your comment made it occur to me that Jeremery Clarkson and Jesus Christ have the same initials.
And me too . When I first glanced at the title, I wonder if it was about me .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
even if you always leave it in the same mode, you are still getting the active suspension.
It's actually active SHOCKS . Active suspension is a different animal, and it's WAY more expensive and complex. The good thing about it is it maintains a perfectly level attitude during cornering, by adding pressure to the outward springs. And a cushy ride when in 'comfort' mode. I don't remember if it was a Benz or BMW that had it a while back, but had numerous issues.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #39
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,611
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
No, I understood it. I'm saying why buy a car most of us will never put on the track when it's meant to be better on the track?
LOL. No seriously, that's what you meant at all. That line of reasoning could be taken with just about 95% of the folks on this board at any time, so that utterly arbitrary. Nah. You didn't think before you posted- that's what happened. And now you are trying to back up a pointless argumentative post with some semblence of retro-active reasoning, and failing miserably I might add. The guy just wanted the active suspension (which, BTW, is absolutely NOT a track option, as you can see with the very EDC-less, very track-focused, GTS). Who cares if he leaves it in the same mode all the time? Do you hit your air-recirc button every day? What about change your stereo settings? No? Well I guess those are pointless buttons too then - you should just go rip them out.

But in case you want to continue the shananigans, please start a new topic "Hey 95% percent of us won't track this car - so why buy it?", instead of hijacking this one. Though, clearly no one should buy this car at all, since there are much, much better track cars. So don't stop at this forum - I'd take this all the way to BMW AG, with a harsh letter demanding they stop producing the M3, or at least require a race license to buy one for god sakes.

You know, it's almost like BMW intends the M3 to be a great all-around-er or something like that, not a track car? But... hmm... no that can't be it - probably best to go back to your original line of haphazard thinking, logic, and sensless ridicule. Productive, that.
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #40
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,232
iTrader: (0)

I track, therefore I am
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #41
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,611
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's actually active SHOCKS . Active suspension is a different animal, and it's WAY more expensive and complex.
Apparently at least somebody considers active shock absorbers a form of active suspension. Though, yes, they do put it in a seperate "semi-active" category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_...on#Semi-active

I suppose if you disagree you could always jump in there and go all cutting-room-floor on the article.
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #42
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Though, yes, they do put it in a seperate "semi-active" category.
That'd be the right term .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
 
I M STIG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
LOL. No seriously, that's what you meant at all. That line of reasoning could be taken with just about 95% of the folks on this board at any time, so that utterly arbitrary. Nah. You didn't think before you posted- that's what happened. And now you are trying to back up a pointless argumentative post with some semblance of retro-active reasoning, and failing miserably I might add. The guy just wanted the active suspension (which, BTW, is absolutely NOT a track option, as you can see with the very EDC-less, very track-focused, GTS). Who cares if he leaves it in the same mode all the time? Do you hit your air-recirc button every day? What about change your stereo settings? No? Well I guess those are pointless buttons too then - you should just go rip them out.

But in case you want to continue the shenanigans, please start a new topic "Hey 95% percent of us won't track this car - so why buy it?", instead of hijacking this one. Though, clearly no one should buy this car at all, since there are much, much better track cars. So don't stop at this forum - I'd take this all the way to BMW AG, with a harsh letter demanding they stop producing the M3, or at least require a race license to buy one for god sakes.

You know, it's almost like BMW intends the M3 to be a great all-around-er or something like that, not a track car? But... hmm... no that can't be it - probably best to go back to your original line of haphazard thinking, logic, and senseless ridicule. Productive, that.
Okay, no, I really did understand what he was saying. Again, why have it if you don't actually use it? I do actually hit my recirculating button enough times to believe it's warranted, and I also do change my audio settings quite often. I'm a musician, so I enjoy good sound. So when I'm listening to certain songs, or Howard Stern, I do mess with my EQ on the fly. So sorry, your points are actually becoming pointless.

The remapped EDC and shocks will make a difference, but enough to be worthy to buy for a street car? Granted, while I don't use my M3 to its full potential by throwing it on the track (I just got it, so I'm enjoying driving it daily first until I pay more of it off), but I do enjoy and use certain bits of it from time to time on back roads or other deserted areas to blow it out a bit. I do try and refrain from doing anything too crazy, though.

But yeah, I understood exactly what he meant. It's the same argument I have with people who talk about the crazy performance bits they want/need to add to their M3s that'll make 600-700 hp or more. What's the point? You've ruined the very nature of why the M3 was so good to begin with.

Oh, and I do push my Power and EDC buttons often. If I have them there, I'm going to use them. I'll change the settings every so often to see what I like and don't like. I'm a fiddler, so it's worth it to me. The Competition Package wouldn't do me any good, though, because it's not enough of a change to make a difference for daily usage. As it's nothing more than a bragging right for many people I've met and talked to thus far. Some people will absolutely use it to its full potential and value, but the ones I've met haven't yet. They've just made odd comments about how I bought the wrong car, or shouldn't have bought an M3 at all because I didn't get it M-DCT or with ZCP... A bit odd for someone with an almost identical car who also call themselves a BMW enthusiast.

But please, keep going on with your argument. I enjoy reading what's on your mind.
__________________

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
I M STIG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #44
Totti
Troll
 
Totti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

No, because you see, you are still failing to grasp my initial statement and what mkoesel has been trying to drum into your head for a couple of days now.

The Competition package retails for $9,900 in Australia. You cannot pick and choose options, if you want it take it, if you don't then don't. By way of contrast, the WHEELS alone as a separate option will run you $9,900 (source: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526428)

Now, I'm not sure if you realise you but:
Quote:
The fact that I'm paying for a button I'll hardly ever use is a moot point
and
Quote:
do actually hit my recirculating button enough times to believe it's warranted
are exactly the same arguments. Please point to where i said I'd NEVER use it? If I use it once (Like my Moonroof) then it's warranted. The fact that (Like the AC Recirc button) I'm not paying A CENT more for it isn't all that important is it? Which is exactly why I called it a MOOT point.

Please remove your head from the sand and realise your opinion in this thread is not the be all and end all of BMW.
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Totti is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST