BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

GTB Performance

05-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
DaveHutchinson
Private

Drives: GT-R

Advice please, dealer messed up ZCP spoiler install

Hi guys,

I installed a ZCP rear spoiler on my Jet Black M3 a few weeks back using 3M tape. I was pretty happy with my job given I've never done anything like this before but since my car was due for a service and I had some betalink, I figured I'd let my dealer install the rear spoiler more securely.

Long story short, they hand the car back to me with betalink everywhere, leaking out from all the edges. Not only this, the right hand side isn't fitted correctly and it's lifted from the top of the trunk slightly leaving a gap. To finish it off, they've scratched the trunk on the right hand side somehow while trying to get the 3M tape I put on off the car. Given that I'd already done all the hard work for them by removing the original spoiler, I fail to see how this has happened. In attempts to remove some of the betalink, they've also scored the clearcoat all around the spoiler.

Now, I've got most of the betalink off the car now but I'm still not happy with the results. I took the car back to the dealer who sent it to their body shop to 'fix' it. Well, I get the car back TWO weeks later and they've done nothing at all. All the scratches are there still and all they've done is put sealant in the alcoved part of the spoiler to cover up some of the mess. In addition, during the first visit, they scratched one of my wheels while changing the tire out.

You'd have to be clinically blind to not see the gaps in the install and the scratches they've put in the trunk but i'll be the first to admit that I'm extremely anal about my cars, always have been. So far I've been without my car twice, for a total of a month and the wheels/trunk/spoiler have yet to be fixed. I have a peeling wheel too that they refuse to replace, they simply want it repainted along with the scratched one.

I've asked to meet with the service manager this week to give them one more chance to resolve this but I'm not hopeful, they just simply don't seem to care. I've been very cordial so far but I'm thinking my only choice after this next visit is to demand it's fixed at their expense at my personal choice of body shop.

Am I right to demand new wheels instead of repainted ones? Especially since the peeling one is a warranty item.

I'm not sure how the dealer is going to resolve the spoiler issue without breaking the spoiler off and then repainting the whole trunk since Betalink is a nightmare to get off so where do I go from here?

Thanks

Last edited by DaveHutchinson; 05-16-2011 at 11:09 AM.
      05-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Draff1
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

In my opinion, no dealership has the right to return your car in worse condition than you left it- under any circumstance. Yes, you should demand replacements rather than repaired items where reasonable. Body work is maybe the exception. You should also demand that they re-paint the trunk. If you don't get anywhere in your first meeting, I would contact BMWNA and try going the litigation route.
      05-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
jonasaurus
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

If they need to break the spoiler to fix the problem then they should be replacing it no charge given they were liable for the poor workmanship in the first place. I'd be kicking up a fuss about this one.
      05-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

When I did mine, the betalink came off very easily with the remover that accompanied it.
As for the scratches and the gap...I'd be all over them to fix that BS. Time to take the gloves off.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
      05-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Night Hawk
USAF/ Veteran/ F-16 Crew Chief

Drives: 2012 E92 MR M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Night Hawk Send a message via Yahoo to Night Hawk
I would have not taken the car back in possession in the first place after they done a shitty job. I would've told them to fix it on the spot and to call me when its done. Repeat process upon them handing over the car back to you if it's still shitty. If it's fucked up, I'd tell them that you want it replaced and all repairs at their expense.

- Greg Professional Table Flipper
Night Hawk is offline   United_States
      05-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

1 good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I would have not taken the car back in possession in the first place after they done a shitty job. I would've told them to fix it on the spot and to call me when its done. Repeat process upon them handing over the car back to you if it's still shitty. If it's fucked up, I'd tell them that you want it replaced and all repairs at their expense.
      05-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Greeney
Brigadier General

Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Greeney Send a message via MSN to Greeney Send a message via Skype™ to Greeney
Which dealer?

11' E90 M3 6MT | Jerez Black | Black Ext./Carbon | ZCP | ZCW | ZPP | ZTP | 302 | 403 | 507 | 5AC | 655 | 6FL | 752 |

Greeney is offline   United_States
      05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
tha_good_life
Brigadier General

Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
This advice... Don't pay for a sh!tty job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
tha_good_life is offline   United_States